PDA

View Full Version : converting models in Maya - nurbs/SubDs/Poly

pixade
07-22-2005, 06:38 AM
i have this spaceship i'm working on and i did the bottom in NURBs and the top in polys and creased in SubDs ....... there's some obvious flaws about it, as both pieces look separate. i want them to look coherent in design. how would i go about this?

i'm thinking of converting both into polys, deleting faces and merging vertices, and then converting it back to SubDs ..... is this the best type of workflow?
http://www.pixade.com/cgtalk/ship_subDNurbs.gif

dbates
08-17-2005, 10:18 PM
That's what I would do. I made a model with both Polys and NURBS and the results didn't go together well at all. . . I'm redoing it with polys now.

Just my 2 cents.
--dbates

Jonnydigitall
08-19-2005, 08:26 AM
Ideally yes, you want to do hard surfaces in Nurbs or SubD's depending on what you know best. If you are going for a low resolution for video games, of course model in polygons. If you plan on converting your polygons to SubD's, be careful with your topology, because it directly affects your SubD cage. Making the ship nurbs and polys, jus not a good idea :-P Ask yourself what your going for, go for one method that best suits what results you want and your knowledge of that method at the moment.

CGTalk Moderation
08-19-2005, 08:26 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.