PDA

View Full Version : CPS | Skinning | Orient worries...

bugo
07-22-2005, 06:37 AM
Hey guys,

Im requesting here some of your help and discussion, cause, everybody use CPS plugin or smooth poly for animation, am I right?

Well, ok, I will start my questions:

1st - why when applying CPS after binding the skin, all the inputs of the mesh dissapear and the skin dont work anymore? So, if I cant apply CPS after the binding, do I need to detach? is there other easy way? I know I can copy skin to another mesh then get back when orient joints is right, is that right? But when I do that the blendShapes and deformers isnt in the input anymore because of CPS.
So.

2nd - Anyone knows a way to orient joints without detaching the skin?

Please reply and discuss about this... It will be wonderfull to know the ways and learn from you people. :thumbsup:

Bugo

bugo
07-22-2005, 07:21 AM
hmm... remembered a way about the 2nd question (? in component mode and making manual :shrug: ) if anyone know a better way, please tell me...

1st have found nothing... yet!

cavetroll
07-22-2005, 07:52 PM
1st
why donīt you use the normal polySmooth or a smoothProxy? just attach it to your geo and make sure it is the last Element in the deformationOrder. your skinWeights will get smoothed, too. works quite well for me and you always can delete the smoothNode.

2nd
I would not do that... you can grab the localRotationAxis of each joint and adjust it, but I wouldnīt recommend that. make sure all your joints have a correct alignment by doing some test skinnings BEFORE you rig and skin!
anyway, I would suggest to save skinWeights to a file, detach the skin, adjust the joints and load the weights back in. works quite well if you donīt do major modifications.

hope that helps.

p.s.: there are very good scripts on highend3d for exporting of skinWeights.

bugo
07-23-2005, 10:58 AM
you are right cave, cause all the skins I export with maya have bugs when importing, and the skin dont do it all...

Well, the smooth proxy maybe a good choice, but I have 4 separated meshes, and just with CPS i can turn them combined in just one smooth meshes without having to combine the low ones...

another question, how can I delete just the smooth node? hypergraph? hypershade? outliner?

Thx man!

cavetroll
07-23-2005, 11:53 AM
one safe way to do that is to type the following in the scriptEditor:
select -r polySmooth1;
delete;
you also can type the name in the quickSelect box in the statusLine and delete it then.
or you browse the tabs in the attribute editor of your model, hit Select and press Delete.
or you do it in the hypergraph.
you know, there are many ways, man ;)
cheers.

bugo
07-25-2005, 01:20 AM
hmmm... nice, didnt knew it
THX for the help...

Just cant find a best copy and paste skin weights in highend3d. whats the best one?

cavetroll
07-25-2005, 12:22 PM
well, there is a script called "WeightTools" from Michael Bazhutkin.
works fine for me the most time and you also can export clusterWeights.
but there are other good scripts around. just try them out and find the one that suits your needs.
cheers.

CGTalk Moderation
07-25-2005, 12:22 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.