PDA

View Full Version : Planning a CG shot

nathanwallis
07-22-2005, 01:32 AM
Not sure if this is the right forum to be starting this thread in, but anyway I am!

If its been covered before then if you can point me in the right direction, but if not help would be much appreciated.

Personally I am looking to get into visual effects for film, at the moment I am buliding my demoreel to show to employers. I am storyboarding all my shots and it is working quite well, but I would like to get more of an insight of how to go from my storyboards and planning the actual shoot to allow for digital elements. Is there some work I should be doing before hand to make it easier when I have the camera and later when I want to add the cg elements in.

For example, I am going to do a car crash on my show reel (inspired by cgtalk) and have storyboarded what angles etc I am going to film my live action from. I even have the location picked out. But not sure how to go about actually filming it all. I don't want this to become a really specific talk about this situation but more of a generic discussion that could help out in most situations.

Thanks for your time.

Nathan

X96
07-22-2005, 03:10 PM
Judging on your abality to follow through with the master and servant pice... I'm going to pass.

nathanwallis
07-23-2005, 12:50 AM
thats a great attitude to have!

Megalodon
07-23-2005, 09:52 AM
Judging on your abality to follow through with the master and servant pice... I'm going to pass.

Pretty pathetic X96!

Dead Rabbit
07-25-2005, 09:31 PM
One piece of advice -
When you shoot, measure EVERYTHING !

I would attempt some composition projects too (before you dive into something large scale)

grundelboy
07-29-2005, 09:29 PM
Just wondering how things were going? If you still needed help.

nathanwallis
07-30-2005, 01:48 AM
Yeah i guess I do still need help as such but more from an information point of view, I think it is something that I should understand if I want to get into VFX. I have been looking for books on the subject but not really sure which category it would fall into. But yeah help would be appreciated.

Measurements are something that I struggle with, I mean I can take measurements from point a to point b along a plane, but as soon as the terrain varies in height I am not sure how to go about it. As simple as my mini gun animation might be, that was the first time that my measurements actually came close to matching a camera to in MAX. But the main reason for this was because that the footage was taken in a shed with fairly square walls and lots of bricks for reference points along those two walls.

The links in my mini gun animation are broken, but just take my word that they worked out OK!

So yeah, if you could offer any pointers on how to take accururate measurements that would be cool, or other techniques that are used on set I guess.

Cheers,

Nathan

Nicool
07-31-2005, 09:36 AM
May I advise to study Duel (really early film of Steven Spielberg) which is THE Bible for car shooting.

CGTalk Moderation
07-31-2005, 09:36 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.