PDA

View Full Version : Next gen character poly count

Gaboon
07-21-2005, 11:12 PM
I'm going to be doing a nextgen character for my portfolio and was wondering what a good ceiling fo the poly count should be? Anyone?

DaveKW
07-22-2005, 09:30 AM
I read somewhere that the models for Half-Life 2 were between 5000-7000 polys depending on how large their role in the game was.

cabertevon
07-22-2005, 12:45 PM
I read somewhere that the models for Half-Life 2 were between 5000-7000 polys depending on how large their role in the game was.

Some have lesser than that and normal maps does the magic.

JuddWack
07-23-2005, 04:43 AM
I don't know the details of Half-life 2, but it is being ported to XBox with supposivly few graphical differences. If they don't decrease the polygon's in the models then that wouldn't be considered next-gen, right?

Stefander
07-23-2005, 07:04 AM
I looked up a post for you, might be interesting. =)

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpost.php?p=2483116&postcount=4

CG-Gordon
07-24-2005, 11:40 AM
If you are really interested in modelling next gen characters I'd recommend buying half life 2 for the model viewer and models alone. For example the character Alyx is around the 9000 triangles mark. It also obviously depends on what the character is going to be used for. The characters in Dead or Alive 3 were around the 15k mark and that was on xbox. Normal maps can give you substansially more detail but if your character is going to be seen up close for cut scenes or cinematics then you are going to need a lot of polys for deformation in the face alone. So i guess shooting for around the 9k mark aint going to do any harm, although if the character is to be used for an online multiplaer game i'd probably shoot for slightly lower. Hope this helps.

Gordon.

Headless
07-24-2005, 01:06 PM
For HL2: Alyx is 8,323 tri's. However, Alyx is really the exception to the rule in that there is only one of her on screen at any one time, and Valve kind of pushed it with her cause she was really their showpiece character. Other individual characters are lower than that, so Barney, for example, is 5,922 tris, but for most enemy or multiplayer models you're looking at lower than that still. The terrorist model for Counter Strike Source is probably at the lower end of the scale for HL2 characters at 3,202 tris, and really that's about where you need to be aiming for HL2 unnamed character models.

Of course that's just the counts for HL2, which personally I wouldn't use as an indicator for next gen polycounts. I think with Unreal Engine 3 having been licensed out to so many people (Microsoft, Vivendi and Midway have all cut multiple license deals, Sony has a trial version of it in every PS3 dev kit, Bioware is using it, NCSoft is using it, etc), i'd say the UE3 character limits are the best indication of next gen poly and texture counts.

Currently the character specifications for UE3 models, according to the UE3 overview page (http://www.unrealtechnology.com/html/technology/ue30.shtml) are as follows...

Renderable Mesh: We build renderable meshes with 3,000-12,000 triangles, based on the expectation of 5-20 visible characters in a game scene.
Detail Mesh: We build 1-8 million triangle detail meshes for typical characters. This is quite sufficient for generating 1-2 normal maps of resolution 2048x2048 per character.
Bones: The highest LOD version of our characters typically have 100-200 bones, and include articulated faces, hands, and fingers.

Bearing in mind that that 12,000 poly roof is probably for the really huge ogre-like characters that they have in Gears of War, or the player character, a good indication of their typical polycount for enemy models is the Locust Drone (http://www.unrealtechnology.com/screens/character_creation3.jpg), which weighs in at 5,287 tris for the low poly mesh, and 2,000,000 for the high poly mesh. If I were you that's what i'd shoot for.

Mikademius
07-24-2005, 07:57 PM
Wasn't Alyx around 12k while the combine soldiers were 3-5k?

Headless
07-24-2005, 08:04 PM
The 8,323 tri count is one I took from the actual decompiled Alyx model, so no.

Mikademius
07-24-2005, 08:13 PM
The 8,323 tri count is one I took from the actual decompiled Alyx model, so no.

Guess I messed up. Probalbly should have said 8k then :)

Shade01
07-24-2005, 08:33 PM
for one of our next gen games, we had 12 15,000 poly characters comfortably running around on screen at once.

Headless
07-24-2005, 09:53 PM
If you're allowed to say, what kind of tri/texture limits do you have on character models for Renderware 4 (assuming that's what EA's using for next gen), for say, a typical third/first-person action game?

Shade01
07-24-2005, 11:42 PM
If you're allowed to say, what kind of tri/texture limits do you have on character models for Renderware 4 (assuming that's what EA's using for next gen), for say, a typical third/first-person action game?

Now your just asking too many questions ;)

The game I'm referring to wasn't for EA and doesn't use Renderware, but the texture map sizes you quoted are pretty close.

Headless
07-25-2005, 12:48 AM
Hehe, ok.

I just assumed that by "we" you meant EA cause of the Godfather reference in your sig.

CGTalk Moderation
07-25-2005, 12:48 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.