PDA

View Full Version : NextGen Character Specs

Colin77
07-21-2005, 10:31 PM
Hi All,

i was hoping for some help from the big company professionals here if possible.

i'm planning to leave the country next year and wanted to add some next Gen spec stuff to it. i've not learned yet to normal map but thanks to threads like the sticky at the top and poopinmymouths recent addition i see that as a formality.

what i was hoping for was general specs. not fighting game specs, 3rd person specs (like on a ps2 ur looking at 2-3k + 512x512 for ur lead character) what is expected of nextgen, Polycounts, maps sizes, supported map types (spec etc, another thing i've not done much of, mainly colour maps and thats it) so anything along these lines would be wonderful and once i've started i'll begin posting here.

Thanks for any help,

Col

kaylon
07-22-2005, 12:57 AM
Currently working on an Xbox 360 title and our main characters are in the 6k area ... not far off most other current specs for like Unreal etc. Diffuse, normal and spec are being used. Textures used are a couple 512x512 and a couple of 256x256.

Our other characters are 2-3k poly wise.

This queston has been answered many times :) ... maybe do a search for other info.

K.

Dragot
07-22-2005, 01:35 AM
what polycounts an texture sizes your looking for mostly have to do with the type of game engine you will be using not the hardware when it comes to the next gen consoles.

Unreal 3 engine for instense when they showed their tech demo at e3 last year
allows charecter of up to 15,000 polys and environments with 1 to 3 million polys.
as far as textures go you can now do things like
(Visual dependent displacement mapping) Not to be confused with virtual displacement.
VDM mapping allows you to do real Time displacement mapping in a per pixel form
Google It for more info.
Also maps for charecters now it won't be unusual to see Normal, spec, color...
at 1024 or 2048 sizes or higher because for example 360's goal for everything to be in high def
format.

As far as showing skill, Talent and creativity is concerned i think it best to make models at 2,000 to 9,000 polys and have really good textures at 512 to 1024 it will increase likley of getting a job in game modeling For the time being untill sush thing become a standard when Xbox 3, or playstation 4 comes out in five years. But Practice makes perfect:)

Hazardous
07-22-2005, 01:58 AM
Hiya Colin,

We are and have worked on several projects for 'next-gen' consoles or using 'next-gen' engine technology, several of which remain 'secret' and due for release around 2007/2008.

The characters and creatures we have produced for more recent projects range from about 3000 triangles for bystanders up to around 12,000 triangles for main characters.

Many of the tri's are used in facial structure or areas like hands for 1st person view, as now that the ingame characters can be used in cutscene closeups instead of building and texturing high polygon counterparts.

Textures have been multiple 1024 - up to multiple 2048 containing detail right down to pore level in skin.

Some think its overkill - but its that cronic level of details that make it really enjoyable for me.

So of your aiming at the current consoles meaning PS3 and Xbox 360 youd be wanting to stick to somewhere within those levels, especially as how you already have the knowledge and skill in producing some low budgeted characters

My personal vote is you shoot for the top end of things and go for some unreal 3 specs, of above 10k and use some big textures 2048 sized using Diffuse, Specular & Normal.
Dont forget that the higher res your textures are - the more data can be captured in your normal maps, so intensely detailed high polygon source models are whats needed here. Zbrush can make some really short work of those intricate details once you know your way around it.

These budgets are (surprisingly enough) already more frequent in development than you might think. :)

jOBe
07-22-2005, 02:58 AM
whoi, thats some nice information Hazardous. Havent heard of such specs before, but then again, I|m yet not that into professionals business :)

Dragot
07-22-2005, 03:13 AM
Im Still a student and if you read mine i said the exact same thing first. not to sound mean or anything. though since hazard is working durectly in the biz right now his word does give my info credibility.

ps. Devils in the detail.:)

Colin77
07-22-2005, 07:33 AM
Thank alot all, i agree with JoBe, it's great to have all this info in one place, i've searched and found speculation everywhere, i'd rather hear it from the horses mouth seeing that every game is different and ever engine works for a different goal (big world, detailed footballers/Fighters, etc)

i'll get to it, feel a little out of my depth but here it goes.

Thanks
Col

CGTalk Moderation
07-22-2005, 07:33 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.