PDA

View Full Version : Mental ray eating ram for breakfast

Halford
07-21-2005, 10:22 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to render a still from a composition.

I'm building up a fire over a picture to make a short effect, I tried to render with mental ray from a friend advice, but as soon as I hit render, mem goes up to 200mb-300mb(all fine) then suddenly 1000mb 1459mb.....here it stucks for a minute and then Max Crash....

there are 5million poly in the still.....but I never so it blocking....

ever happened to you?

thank you for your help and time.

Hal.

APP:Max 7
System:
AMD barton 3200+
2048MB Corsair XMS
9800xtMODFireGL2

itsallgoode9
07-21-2005, 11:00 PM
I've never had it crash on me like that when using MR...I only have 1.5 gig of ram. It is normal for MR to use a ton of ram when calculating photon emmision, then after that I think it switches over to your pcu. so it is normal for it to use that much.

JohnnyRandom
07-21-2005, 11:51 PM
Bitmap Pager, dont know why max doesn't enable this by default.

PureFire
07-22-2005, 04:12 AM
Set your systems virtual memory (paging file size) to twice that of your RAM for both minimum and maximum.

To change it go Start>Settings>Control Panel>System>Advanced tab>Performance Options >Change

Reboot after you make your change and it will write to your pagefile when your system runs out of RAM.

cpan
07-22-2005, 11:45 AM
there should be an option in Render Settings ('m not a max user :)) to limit the maximum ram amount that mray can use.

deumilcat
07-22-2005, 01:49 PM
and.. well... 5 millions vertexes with GI may be well over the top by the way. admit it, you modeled a high res hedgehog with each spike being meshmoothed??

Halford
07-22-2005, 02:58 PM
Thanks for the replies.

PureFire: I will give it a try tonight.

deumilcat: it's actually all particels, it's picture of few houses and there is fire behid the first row, I'm using a PF to make realistic smoke....quite heavy but looks good (still have to improve the texture)

I checked the render time for the video, it will take 2 days..... :(, do you have a render farm to rent? :D

Hal.

CGTalk Moderation
07-22-2005, 02:58 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.