PDA

View Full Version : Audio File Format

Pretorian
07-21-2005, 08:58 PM
As I know, WAV for Win and AIFF for Mac are audio file formats uncompressed, so, you have the "full" quality. I was editing an audio (with Audition, if this helps) and when I saved, I choosed WAV. As it has more then one WAV formats, I choosed Microsoft's WAV (maybe a mistake?). When I set "save" it gave me a warning message saying that this is a lossless format, but will not keep the full audio quality (I can't remember the message exactly, but was something around this). I tried the PCM/RAW, wich I thought would keep it full, and, got the same message. My last option (inside my knowledgment) was AIFF, and, it didn't said anything about qualty. Of course, the file was very big, that's why I thought it was keeping the full quality. My question, wich format will keep the entire audio quality, not compressing, that would work with windows media player, as AIFF works for Quicktime, I thought there would be something like for wmp. Like I said, I thought it wuld be WAV, seems not.

enygma
07-21-2005, 09:17 PM
I don't consider myself knowledgable on this issue, but I could throw a few questions out.

Did you edit the audio at a higher than usual sampling rate? I mainly ask this because maybe WAV only supports up to a particular sample rate, like 44.1KHz or whatever. I'm not 100% certain if this may even be the issue, but it is just a thought.

JohnnyRandom
07-21-2005, 11:02 PM
.wav can be lossless codec
You want to make sure the wav file is set to PCM with whatever HZ, bitdepth and channels.

Keelan
07-22-2005, 02:16 AM
Windows PCM is the full quality, lossless, uncompressed, format. I always use it when I work with Adobe Audition and i don't know why you would be getting that error message.

beaker
07-22-2005, 07:10 PM
My guess is that you were working at 44.1hz instead of 48hz. It depends where your extracting the audio from.

Pretorian
07-23-2005, 02:23 AM
I can't remember wich rate it was, if 44.1 or 48, but supose this was the case. If yes, why when I saved it in AIFF it didn't say anything about loosing quality, and when saving in the other formats, including WAV and PCM, it said I would be saving in a lossless with a risk of loosing quality?

Another question, if having an mp3 music file, you load it and edit the music, if you save it again in mp3, it will recompress it, right? The best option to keep the music now for later usage would be WAV in Win or AIFF in Mac?

enygma
07-23-2005, 02:41 AM
Maybe the WAV format is lossless at anything up to a certain sample rate. If there is a max sample rate on WAVs and you had to save a file beyond the maximum, it would have to reduce the smpling rate on the wave in order to support the write process in that file format. So technically, it is lossless at its maximum sample rate, but you may be sampling a bit higher.

Just a theory. Not too sure about the details of audio file formats.

Keelan
07-23-2005, 03:54 AM
Another question, if having an mp3 music file, you load it and edit the music, if you save it again in mp3, it will recompress it, right? The best option to keep the music now for later usage would be WAV in Win or AIFF in Mac?

Yes thats right. Save it in a lossless format every time until you are finished and want to compress it.

CGTalk Moderation
07-23-2005, 03:54 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.