PDA

View Full Version : Vue logic?

royboy
07-21-2005, 04:25 PM
Wonder what the idea behind an bitmap image not mapping 1:1 to a "world" unit. After a lot of trial and error I evently get it quite close. Found somewhere that the image maps 1:45 world units & to confuse things further you have to swap x & y. So an image exactly 1024 x 1024 needs to be scaled to 22.7555555 to fit perfectly on a 1024 x 1024 terrain... why oh why? Can anyone explain this logic?

mdunakin
07-21-2005, 10:24 PM
This DOES sound disturbing?

Of course, I'd be a lot more happy, if they just had more "normal" measurements in Vue,
as it's like a guessing game trying to figure out what size things really are in a scene?
I haven't found any real way to judge this yet, so I don't know what a person is to do?

But, I'm sure I'll eventually figure out some sort of method for telling
what scale something really is, some age that is?
Right now I'm still learning the basics, so I can't say much on the subjkect yet,
other then, if there IS a standard, "real world" measuring system in Vue, then I haven't
found it yet, or how to use it if I've already came across it, but just didn't realize it?

I think the best I've read about this so far, was that someone said,
make an object that you KNOW what the scale of it is,and THEN
load that into a scene and "manually" adjust the terrain to match the
size of the obejct you brought in, which seems a bit odd to say the least?

.....................md :)

kivanc_k
07-22-2005, 12:48 AM
Hmm... Yes, I`ve experienced scale matching problems in Vue also. A lot...

But, let`s examine this a bit more conceptual...

1. World... How big is your world ? Did you try this scale projection of factor 22.7555555 on different scenes, scenes with different biggest objects in dimensions ? What scales a "world" ? Does world correspond to "Earth" or "Current Scene" ? What is the biggest object in your scene file ?
2. Why not "Object parametric" mapping ? From my earlier experiences, I got used to use "world mapping" for caustics etc. effects. "Object Parametric" mapping is bounded in 'object`s' boundaries, which is easier to handle.
3. When terrain is doubled twice (it comes 256x256 default), a texture of 1024x1024 fits perfect on all aspects as far as I experienced.

I`m not a Vue guru. I`ve just explored it on purpose. Undoubtedly, e-on engineers (and maybe the offical manual) has the answer of scaling secret. But, it`s always "There`s more than one way to do it". I`ve solved all my scaling problems o occasion in Vue. PS: Object parametric workflow made things easier.

Just another aspect.
Hope it helps.

Wabe
07-22-2005, 08:08 AM
I think this all are relicts from early versions of Vue where these issues simply didn't matter. And the intention of most people is different anyway. Matching is not a major issue.

Maybe you complain a little at e-on, technical support so that they know that there are people who want more!

I did some testings now and the best result i got used the following trick:

Create a terrain with any bitmap you have.

Export the terrain as bitmap then.

Use this exported bitmap to put your map to. Don't change sizes.

Go back to Vue and use that map with "Object parametric" AND scale it -1/-1 in X and Y.

Fits perfectly in my case with a leave i wanted to build with a terrain and the associated map.

DEMINROC
07-22-2005, 12:45 PM
I've been experimenting with the trial version of vue and I still haven't found a units setting. Is there a units setting? I do architectural models in cad and 3ds and want to import the trees into 3ds. That's kinda silly if you can't specify say a tree height. I guess I'll have to import the model from max into vue and scale accordingly. then delete the model and export my trees....again thats kinda silly.

CGTalk Moderation
07-22-2005, 12:45 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.