PDA

View Full Version : System Specs and XP RAM usage

fattkid
07-21-2005, 12:17 AM
I have spent the last few months reading up on hardware in preparation for getting a new system built. I will be using the sysytem for 3D graphics. Max, Maya, Mental Ray and especially Z Brush. Here is the system that I came up with....

Supermicro CSE-7331-645B Case (645 Watts)
Tyan K8WE Motherboard
Dual Opteron 248's
Kingston 1GB PC 3200 RAM (4GB total)
74 GB Raptor 10,000 RPM HD
160 GB Seagate 7,200 HD
EVGA 6800 Ultra 256 MB DDR3
Windows XP Pro

I am not too computer tech/hardware saavy, so I am wondering if anyone knows of any compatability issues with this setup or anything I should be aware of.

I am also wondering about how much RAM XP Pro can use. I have read a few different threads/discussions on this topic and I'm still confused. Does it matter which service pack is installed? I'm under the impression that XP Pro will recognize/use 4GB of RAM, up to 2 GB per application, minus what is necessary to run the OS. Is that right? And I've read about the 3GB switch, so an application can use up to 3GB. Is that right? Does it work? What are it's limitations? I've found a fair amount of conflicting information on this stuff and I'm having a hard time wrapping my technologically impaired head around it. Any feedback or advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.

CGTalk Moderation
07-21-2005, 12:17 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.