PDA

View Full Version : The brontosaur theory

ultrasandwich
07-20-2005, 08:50 PM
Hi all,

IŽve just finished an animation IŽve been working on for a while, it's made from an audio from a Monty Python's sketch. It's an mpeg file about 6 megs. HereŽs the link(thanks to Charpu for hosting temporarily my animation):

www.charpu.com/BrontosaurTheory_small.mpg (http://www.charpu.com/BrontosaurTheory_small.mpg)

Hope you like it, commentaries appreciated:)

Capn_Camo
07-21-2005, 12:00 AM
Gday dude,

Just checked out your animation. Seriously not bad at all! :buttrock: the animation is very smooth and youve complimented it with nice ins and outs. This really helped in showing each characters emotion dependant on speed. I only have two crits:

1) the lip sync, while not being too bad, could be exaggerated just a little bit. The mouths seem a little lazy in terms of sounding out the smaller vowels like o or u. Just sharpen them up a little
2) the sound. Whilst the monty python audio track provided me with plenty of sound from the characters, I heard very little ambient sounds. It was just dead silence :shrug:. This just gives your film a real "cg" look and sometimes can draw an audience to dislike your work. Just add some slight ambience to your scene, whether it be an air conditioner, murmuring in the background, maybe the crackling of a television set to show we are really watching through the looking glass, and your film will go from rocking to seriously rocking!

That's a point, to show that we are looking through the tv (if that was your intention), i'd add some of the horizontal bars/fuzzyness you get on one of those old tv's, just to add that extra layer hehe. It's optional though, and not having it certainly doesnt detract from your work.

Seriously top notch, and good luck in the future! :buttrock:

ultrasandwich
07-21-2005, 12:09 PM
Hey,

Thanks for your comment:) YouŽre right on the lipsync thing, some other people has told me that, IŽll try to do it better on my next animation. About the sound, I only added the thump at the end of it, I didnŽt want to modify much the audio but maybe as you say it could be better with some ambience sound...

metamesh
09-26-2005, 08:44 AM
hi all

I can't believe that you just had 1! reply to this post, i found it really good, maybe the lypsinc is not as good as the rest, but really high level here! smooth animation, cool characters, and funny audio! congrats for a well done job!!

mstram
09-26-2005, 01:26 PM
I don't get any sound for some reason.

Which codec did you use?

Mike

Zoox
09-26-2005, 07:04 PM
HI
I really liked this animation :applause: I thaught it was really funny and well done :thumbsup: keep up the great work :)

Sir_Penguin
09-27-2005, 10:19 AM
That's just hilarious but I agree that it does need ambiet sounds, at one point I thought the audio had mucked up or something.

DoubleSupercool
09-29-2005, 02:39 PM
Ahhh, one of the best Monty Pythons sketches. I can only reiterate above. You need some sounds like footsteps for the dino, maybe it roaring, the sound of the chair being pushed back as he falls over etc.

Other than that the animation fit the dialogue perfectly.

Now to listen to some more MP . . .

ultrasandwich
09-30-2005, 10:05 PM
thanks for the comments:) Yeah, you're right, maybe I should exaggerate the lipsync a bit more, I am afraid of overacting and I end up doing the opposite:), I'll try to do it better next time. About the sound, I don't know what codec did I use, I used tmpegENC(or something like that, I'm not sure. There's amedia player that plays almost everything maybe you should try it, you can find it here:
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/
Abouth the ambience sounds you are right again, I didn't want to alter the original sound file, but it's true that it feels empty after the dialogue finishes, I hope to get the original dvd to get better quality sound and then add some fx...

suzana_kilic
10-02-2005, 01:44 AM
Excellent work, especially the acting of the characters.
Best luck and good works.
:thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
10-02-2005, 01:44 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.