PDA

View Full Version : Insect Animation - A ladybug

ivanisavich
07-20-2005, 06:55 PM
Hey everyone...I made this in the same vein as my sparrow animation, in the sense that I looked at something's movement in nature, and tried to mimic it in 3d. Once again, this was made in a relatively short time (a total creation time of 13 hours from start to finish, over 2 days)

The specifics are:

-Rendered in 5 passes (Diffuse, Ambient Occlusion, Specular, Dustpass 1, Dustpass 2)
-Scanline renderer (with Mental Ray for Ambient Occlusion pass)
-Render time approx 15 seconds per frame

Feel free to comment!

http://www.simplycg.net/ivan/ladybug.avi (2mb, DivX)

http://www.simplycg.net/ivan/ladybug.jpg

hometime
07-20-2005, 07:15 PM
Beautiful!

:)

Joblh
07-20-2005, 08:05 PM
very beautifull work indeed! :)

can't come up with any crits, srry ;)

ivanisavich
07-20-2005, 08:33 PM
Thanks!

Btw...in case anyone noticed...there was a part near the middle of the animation where one of the ladybug's feet goes through the leaf (quite noticeably). That's been fixed now :)

http://www.simplycg.net/ivan/ladybug.avi (2mb, DivX)

Ranimate
07-20-2005, 09:30 PM
One word man,

AWESOME!

R

andrewmartin
07-20-2005, 09:47 PM
Flawless.

Great job.

fsanimate
07-20-2005, 10:18 PM
Once again, very nice. You know you should really put up a Rendering tutorial on your site. It would be great to see how you go about rendering these scenes.

Brian

ivanisavich
07-21-2005, 02:26 AM
fsanimate: hehe...yes there are many tutorials I would like to add to my site if time permits :)

Thanks for the replies!

sphere
07-21-2005, 02:57 AM
Hey, nice work mate.

I'm just going to pick at a few things, but only because I've been working on a ladybug lately too and watching some references.

- The front leg when it's walking looks a little odd, like it's broken or something. The side and back legs look better.
- I think a wing flap at the end just before it falls off would add alot. I think you'll find that they will do this to try and regain some balance.
- There doesn't really seem to be any visible gap between the wings on the shell. Not sure if it's there or not on the model?

ivanisavich
07-21-2005, 03:05 AM
Hey sphere,

Thanks for the critique man...I would have liked to do some wing flapping, and definitely looked into it....but couldn't find any good enough references of the inside of a ladybug's shell (ie....anatomical references, vid/real-life motion references etc)....so I'm pretty sure anything I would have done would have looked even less natural hehe :)

Definitely some good points you make though.

sphere
07-21-2005, 03:28 AM
No problems. Once again, it's an awesome animation! For the time you spent on it, it's really quite brilliant.

I'm not sure if you checked out bbcmotiongallery.com or not, but they have a few ladybug videos. One with the bug doing exactly what yours does, falling off the end of the leaf.
http://www.bbcmotiongallery.com/customer/common/search/searchDetails.jsp?detect=true&clipItemId=prod70188

Also, check out www.framepool.com (http://www.framepool.com) and search for ladybird. You'll find alot of reference videos there and some are in slow motion.

ivanisavich
07-21-2005, 03:38 AM
Hey man...thanks for those links! The bbcmotion one is going to help a lot in the future!

KielFiggins
07-21-2005, 07:00 AM
Well done indeed. The sutly in the feet placements and weight shifts over the legs and leaf bending accordingly is very well captured.

I did a piece similiar to this as a rig test for my demo reel out of school. Nowhere near the same quality of render or even animation. But i feel yah, bugs are cool to animate.

Incase your interested

http://www.3dfiggins.com/gallery.php?id=29&item=16#16

Keep up the cool work.

losttogether
07-21-2005, 07:55 AM
very nice render. amazing work man. cool!

blasphemy3_d
07-21-2005, 08:52 AM
Great video Ivanisavich. I like it alot. Just like the one with the bird.
Congrats.

Capn_Camo
07-21-2005, 11:35 AM
Gday Ivan,

As always, love your work. Your ability to go for a simple idea and express it thoroughly really shows your talent as an "always thinking" artist hehe. The ladybug is awesome, the front leg is fine and the sound and blurred background dont draw focus at all. My only crit is with the fall at the end. There just seems to be the odd second or two there where the bug is floating in space. To me, it just seemed a little delayed in terms of gravity hitting the bug, but its only a miniscule thing :D

Seriously top notch, good luck in the future! :buttrock:

dcmoutinho
07-21-2005, 01:32 PM
fantastic !:eek:
great work, congratulations:applause:

Slurry
07-21-2005, 01:42 PM
Hi Tyson,

Another great piece. Congrats man! This is very well done, as usual.
My only crit is that you go from a relatively realistic animated style, then shift gears at the end with a cartoony scramble and fall.
The two bits don't seem to match.
Looks great all the same though. :thumbsup:

Art

herographics
07-21-2005, 02:32 PM
Very nice, very fresh !

As your other works !
Nothing to say...
Exept...

Continue !

;-)

HERO
++++

IestynRoberts
07-21-2005, 02:39 PM
Hi Tyson,
Another excellent piece, well done. I really love the look and feel you got for these Nature animations, they are really nice. Excellent stuff. I agree, you should put a tutorial up on your site!
Take care
Iest

joel3d
07-21-2005, 03:33 PM
I don't come across too many works that deserve to become part of the cgchoice gallery...This definitely should. Ha! ha! again...I just realized that you did the Sparrow animation. Very good render...Well, everything, Modeling, textures, animation, lighting....You've done some nice work.

If I may be a bit critical...? I visited your webpage, and,...Sorry have to say I was put off at first. Your new work is exceptional, you need to give your page a facelift.

Congratulations.

ivanisavich
07-21-2005, 03:39 PM
Hey joel,

Thanks for your comments! As for my webpage...yes...I agree....it's about the crappiest design possible hehe...I just haven't had time yet to give it a make-over! ;)

joel3d
07-21-2005, 03:43 PM
Okay, I just thought I'd help out a fellow freelancer.

ODoul
07-21-2005, 07:24 PM
Very nice! :thumbsup: I've just been browsing your site and I think you have a very bright future.

HALİT
07-21-2005, 07:28 PM
wonderful :scream:

SolidAhmed
07-21-2005, 09:44 PM
this is way too beautiful , great work , beautiful rendring , amazing movment

erilaz
07-22-2005, 01:45 AM
For some reason I'm having difficulty saving it. It cuts out around 1.2 megs. I wanna seeeee! :scream:

luima
07-22-2005, 02:54 AM
just perfect!! :bounce:

HenningK
07-22-2005, 06:02 AM
Youre amazing, again, ivan.

I would like if these ultra-naturalistic studies grew into a series from you. its an interesting artistic endeavor...
Thats what I was thinking before the lady bug slipped and fell off the leaf! It was unexpected and therefore very very funny.
-hen

thoughtcriminal
07-22-2005, 08:36 AM
Hey Tyson!

Great job as allways. I really liked the composition and everything.

I would like to know more about how you did the translusency on that leaf.
I guess the DOF is fake, am I right?

Anyway this short piece looks awsome and I can't wait to see which animal are you going to mimic next (Hey, what about a squirel?)

jesuislinus
07-22-2005, 11:43 AM
:applause:so nice!

[random words to fill the post]

ivanisavich
07-22-2005, 02:46 PM
Such great feedback! Thanks everyone!

erilaz: have you tried right-clicking and saving the target? That's really odd....

henningk: that's what I'm kind of aiming for at this point....I'd like to do maybe a dozen of them (slowly...haha...I don't have THAT much time) because they're actually really fun to do! And since they only take around a day it's not a huge chunk of time I'm cutting away from my other concurrent projects :)

thoughtcriminal: the translucency was done using a standard Max translucency shader. The leaf is simply a subdivided plane, so it only has one coplanar surface (which made the translucency not only render really fast...but also appear to look right :))

the DOF was done using XDof...I could have simply blurred the foreground leaves like in my sparrow animation (as opposed to having Max calculate realistic DOF)...but the rendertime was only increased by a second or two this time round, so I decided to live in luxury instead hehe :D

Although I usually only decide on which animal I'll do right before I actually go and do it....I think next time I'm going to do like a rabbit...or chipmunk or something :)...but depending on how much time I have I might have to stick to something simpler....like a rock haha :D

mattmos
07-23-2005, 10:28 AM
Hey Tyson, another cracking piece of animation, lighting, rendering, everything!
First time I watched it I felt maybe the leaf would bend just a little more but given the perspective on the leaf I think you get away with it. The fall is classic :)

Looking forward to the next in the series...

Purc
07-23-2005, 11:00 AM
You did it again dude. First that little bird and now the ladybug.
Awesome !

jigu
07-23-2005, 11:34 AM
hey ivan can u tell me what u have used to animate that bug!! u did gr8 job!!
did you use Bone tools or CS biped to animate the bug?

CoolCalb
07-23-2005, 11:52 AM
what can I say.... BEAUTIFUL!

5 stars... :cool:

freakmoomin
07-23-2005, 12:22 PM
quality work again (although i think the sparrow is better)

i only had a quick look, but i agree with what someone else said. it seems to change from real animation to cartoony at the end when he falls.....

nice work tho

ivanisavich
07-23-2005, 01:29 PM
Hi the_jigu,

The bug's rig consists of nothing more than 6 IK chains for his legs. The head/antenae/feelers are simply linked to the body and have rotational keyframes set on them. So no CS or bone tools or whatever :)

jigu
07-24-2005, 06:06 AM
Hi the_jigu,

The bug's rig consists of nothing more than 6 IK chains for his legs. The head/antenae/feelers are simply linked to the body and have rotational keyframes set on them. So no CS or bone tools or whatever :)

u impressed me a lot man!! how old were u when u started 3d?

Chanchito
07-25-2005, 02:41 PM
Oh lord this is just one of those clips that I can't crit. I love what you've created and you've set a great mood.

Got a question: How did you create the dust particles. I think they do a lot for the scene and I'm curious how you went about doing it.

Thanks for sharing another piece perfection

Martin

ivanisavich
07-25-2005, 05:30 PM
Thanks for all your encouraging comments!

Hey the_jigu...remember...I'm 18 ;)...think I told ya in another thread too hehe

Hey Chanchito: the dust particles are a Particle Flow system. The actual geometry of them is little spaghetti string shaped splines, which were blurred and animated to float randomly around. There are 2 dust passes, one layer has larger particles that are blurred more...the other layer has smaller particles that are blurred less :)

jigu
07-26-2005, 08:48 AM
Thanks for all your encouraging comments!

Hey the_jigu...remember...I'm 18 ;)...think I told ya in another thread too hehe

hehe u didn;t get my questions........u r now at 18 that i know.but how old were u when u started out doing 3d?....now r u getting this question?....

ivanisavich
07-26-2005, 04:52 PM
Oh sorry man...guess I mis-read it ;)

I believe I was 14 when I started.

rafaelrubio
07-26-2005, 08:10 PM
hi man, really nicest animation in a time! wow! amazing! it looks real! fantastic friend!:applause:

Rawk
07-27-2005, 11:39 PM
:bounce: THAT WAS SOME DOPE STUFF!!! A++++++++++++++++++++

victor throe
07-28-2005, 12:34 PM
man that was luscious

seemed a little smooth over the beetles crack though.

CGTalk Moderation
07-28-2005, 12:34 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.