PDA

View Full Version : Going from areas of high detail to lower detail

Mouse
07-20-2005, 07:34 PM
I imagine this query has a fairly simple solution, but I often find myself getting muddled up with this:

When I'm making something lke a character model, how should I make the transition from a lower-polygon body to something highly-detailed like facial features. On my most recent model, a cat, I started with the face and am now stuck for what to do as at the back of the neck (having built the top and back of the head) I still have probably 3-4 times as many polys as I really need to accurately block out the shape of the neck and then the animal's back and torso. I also have this problem at the chin and, essentially, all around the head. I know I should have planned ahead for this, but I really don't know what I should have planned to do.

How should I construct things such that I (a) don't have this issue and (b) maintain an all-quad mesh fit for subdivision?

Augh
07-21-2005, 04:58 AM
This image was posted by user Kanga, and is the best example I've seen of how to use "hooks" to transfer between high and low detail areas. Thanks again to Kanga haha.

http://img349.imageshack.us/img349/9974/hooks9ac.jpg (http://www.imageshack.us)

Hope this demonstrates the theory for you well enough, it helped me a lot.
Best of luck :)

stovalar
07-21-2005, 06:14 AM
OH HELL YEAH GUYS. I CANNOT THANK YOU ENOUGH FOR THIS SIMPLE LITTLE IMAGE. I've been wondering how to do this for so long and always found myself getting caught in pole loops and have to take them all the way around my model. I just had to see it in front of me to understand it and you helped me out. WOW THAT WAS SO SIMPLE! now i can correctly do my wrists on my model (which is always a problem the first few times around) once again very appreciated guys. Peace

StephanD
07-21-2005, 01:45 PM
The pole in the center would not be appropriate for subdivision surfaces as the mesh will look twisted in this area afterwards...Animating this section would then be out of question.

For lowpolygon that could be fine although I wouldn't personally exceed 5-edged poles.That gives enough freedom already.

Marcel
07-21-2005, 02:07 PM
My advice is not worry too much about 5 sided polygons, just end those edges if you want to. You might see a slight bump on a untextured blinn surface, but when you add some lighting and textures you hardly notice it. Ending edges without having to make all sorts of ingenious loops makes modelling much faster and much more fun.

Check out the wireframe in the first post of this thread:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=108412

Augh
07-21-2005, 02:33 PM
Personally I try to avoid tri's and ngons due to the whole little "annihilating uvws" detail, but each to their own ^_^

Nice point about poles, particularly for wrists that could be one to watch for.

DirtEater
07-21-2005, 08:14 PM
Personally I try to avoid tri's and ngons due to the whole little "annihilating uvws" detail, but each to their own ^_^

Not to challenge your knowledge, but how could tri's and ngons have a negative affect on UVs? Do you mean the unwrapping process is made more difficult somehow?

Augh
07-22-2005, 03:10 PM
I mean that a bunch of people unwrap below the smooth in the stack (no idea what anyone who doesn't do this does, but my crowd seems to), and presence of 3 and 5s is a quick way to mash the uv all over the shop, certainly a control issue vs a quad mesh of similar arrangements. This gets real severe with "technical"/hard objs even more so.

Maybe not a problem for some, pain in the ass for me and all I've mentioned it to. Maybe I'm just dumb. Either way quad is still god, imo ;)

Cheers.

ford
07-23-2005, 07:23 PM
Hello mindenkinek!

To work from low detaild parts toward high detailed parts is my biggest problem. The linked image below is quite simple, basic solution, but I usually have more complex parts of the object in more planes where the edges of my object meet each other. As I started to learn 3D in a few months, the miss of any routine ususally slows me down even for weeks!

I try to model a handgun in a very detaild way. At the end I would like to have an object, which I can zoom very close for it's details, whitout any help of bump maps or displacement maps or whatever ways I don't know yet.

Could anybody offer me more direct help to solve this problem?

CGTalk Moderation
07-23-2005, 07:23 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.