PDA

View Full Version : question about importing maya objects into LW

Merlin
07-20-2005, 05:50 PM
So I've been away from the 3d game for a while now, about 2 1/2 years, which is plenty time to be fall by the wayside and be left in the dust. Now, however, we've started work on a new cartoon for Cartoon Network and my bosses have asked me to research some ideas on how we're going to do this cartoon. So, I've sent Newtek some questions and hope to hear from them soon. However, I'd also like to hear from the average user who may offer a slightly different insight than the company that's trying to sell me something.

Main question:

A guy from the network is modeling one of our characters in Maya. The plan is to bring his object into LW for rigging, weighting, etc. No maps or textures or anything other than basic geometry will be imported.

Are there any problems with the above that you guys think/know I will run into? Are there any solutions to said problems or am I asking the impossible? For my sake, I hope not.

Other miscellaneious questions:

- I'm currently running LW 7.5c on my Mac OS X 10.3.6. Were there any problems/glitches/unforseen headaches with LW7.5d?
-Should I upgrade to LW 8 or are they about to release a new version tomorrow? (yes, I realize I could probably find this answer pretty quick elsewhere, but I'm lazy. sue me.)

-For whatever reason, LW won't render anything with a BESM or Super Cel Shader on it. Not even a simple cube. It just crashes and never progresses through the render.

That's it for now, thanks in advance,

Neal

Vojislav+Milanovic
07-20-2005, 07:43 PM
I use to work in lw-max-maya envirovment and we passed our models between softwares .obj file format. if we need subdiv we just throw it at low level (boxy) and subdiv them in software that is going to be used for rigging and so on. obj contain UV maps so there where no problems with that either. so you should not have any problems as long as models are clean and nice.

Merlin
07-21-2005, 02:18 PM
Hey thanks akademus! Just to clarify things, it's been a while since I've even touched Maya, I need to tell this guy to leave his model out of sub-d, right? Then I import it, put it into metanurbs and everything should be all good from there? They guy from Newtek said the model would be frozen. If I import it the way you mentioned, does this get around the model being frozen at all?

Vojislav+Milanovic
07-21-2005, 07:34 PM
Yeah, we use to leave it unsub-d, just plain boxy like geometry. It worked perfectly from lw to maya, but i can't recall what happened vice versa. anyway, when you import it in lw, check out geometry statistics for n-gons, triples, two and one point polys, although triples shoud be fine somewhere. also do merge points. once again, if you have nice and clean model you shouldn't have problems with sub-d's because they are pretty much same in most of the programs.

cheers

CGTalk Moderation
07-21-2005, 07:34 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.