PDA

View Full Version : topology

constence
07-20-2005, 05:09 PM
I'm a newbe at modeling and I am trying to find the starting piont on how to model a females head in maya. I don't know how to start the head. Does any one have any techs to help me out? I have read tons of tutorials on head modeling but there not very good. Please help someone...

rustbucket
07-20-2005, 07:47 PM
www.thehobbitguy.com has a nice head tutorial on it, although its geared toward an alien model which causes some of the basic topology to flow differently then a human head. Its a good reference though in seeing how he starts a model, and defines the basic loops and shapes. I prefer box modelling these days from a cube, but its a good starting point I think.

CGmonkey
07-20-2005, 08:35 PM
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=38469

Please for the love of god, use the SEARCH tool.

constence
07-23-2005, 02:44 PM
Thanks for the words of advice (Colin, AKA Rustbucket) on the box setup. That's what I was realling looking for. I am trying to find an easy but proficient way of making a head. I have been looking at other technics on how do form a head however I that it would better to ask the pro's. So does anyone else have an opinion on what the best technic to make a head model?

Stahlberg
07-24-2005, 07:29 AM
Most pros (unless they're making a tutorial :) ) start from something just slightly more developed than a box. I mean, they could go all the way back to the box and waste about 15 minutes getting it roughed out, but if it's on the clock, why not save out an extremely low-res head you're happy with from before (say 50 - 100 polygons), and re-use it in the next project? When it's that low-res it's applicable to any character, child, monster, whatever.

But yes, if they start from scratch my guess is pretty much all of them would start from a box.

constence
07-28-2005, 02:09 PM
Thanks for the helpful hint, Stahlberg. That's exactly what I was looking for. I do have question for you, Stahlberg. I was looking at you web and I saw that you have a lot of great work. I was just woundering what other helpful hints you might have for a student who is trying to learn new techs? Also I am build a low res face by the extruding tech. Do you have any advice on that tech? I was also thinking about using the patch modeling tech but from what I have read, they (the authors) have said it easier (and faster) to use the extruding tech then the patch modeling tech. I just want to know from the pro's if anyone has used both and what are the pro's and con's about it? Thanks again everyone.

I will put up WIP of the face that I am working on with the extruding tech. This will be my first real attempt to put topology into the face and using the techs that I have learned. So have fun and pick it apart.

Stahlberg
07-28-2005, 02:51 PM
I definitely recommend to stay away from NURBS for organic deforming surfaces (like characters' bodies), and use polygons instead, unless you simply want to try it for fun, or as a learning experience.

As for other helpful hints, well I don't know if you use Maya, but here's a link to a looong thread about topology I started in the Maya forum (which has drifted from the original topic and is now more of a general topology workshop):
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=108412

constence
07-31-2005, 06:33 PM
Here is a smoothed head that I am modeling. This is my first attempt to model a head useing the extrude tech, smothed or subd tech and topology. I dont know which one to use. Do any suggestions? Any suggestions on my model, most wanted. Thanks for your time.

CGTalk Moderation
07-31-2005, 06:33 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.