PDA

View Full Version : texture seams - 3d paint tool?

dpizzle
07-20-2005, 03:28 PM
i always have a problem with my seams whenever texturing my characters, such as around the shoulder area where the arm connects to the shirt/shoulder and the seam running up the back of the leg/pant- should i be using the 3d paint tool inside of maya to get rid of this problem, or some other method?

-dp

xno
07-20-2005, 05:56 PM
Try to sketch your basic tetxure in a 3d painting tool then go to Photoshop and do the details.

AdamAtomic
07-20-2005, 06:08 PM
I paint exclusively in photoshop, and there are a few tricks I use constantly, they're nothing too special though:

1 - Eyedropper tool! Just hold "alt" while using any of the normal paint tools (airbrush, paintbrush, etc) and you can pick up colors, allowing for easy manual touchups along seams.

2 - Copy-Paste, Skew-Erase. Ha, that rhymes! Anyways, basically throw a polygonal lasso around the textures on one side of the seam. Copy and paste it onto a new layer. Split it up into segments along your polygons; e.g. if your shoulder joint has a hexagonal cross section, you'd probably want to split the part you copy-pasted into 6 segments, each on their own layer. Then use Edit->Transform->Skew (Alt+E+A+K) and Rotate (Alt+E+A+R) to bend and twist the segments into the shapes you want. Merge these segments down into one layer. Then grab a soft-edged eraser and blend your new edges into your old ones. I bet there is a cool way to do this process INSIDE your 3d modeler, using bake-to-texture style functionality, but I have not tried it yet.

3 - Just hide your seams using natural features on your character. Only works in some situations, and usually requires some planning ahead during the UV mapping phase.

Hope that helps!

kaylon
07-20-2005, 06:12 PM
Paint groups of UV's together before setting up your final texture sheet ... you dont have to paint your texture as you laid it out. You can grab sections of it like legs..shoulders etc and paint them together so seams become less hard work and then put them back or set up a new texture sheet once finished and move the UV's of the model to the new sheet locations.

K.

dpizzle
07-20-2005, 10:52 PM
hey thanks a lot guys... kaylon that is a great idea, i will have to try it - only thing, what about moving the actual texture? just copy/paste?

here is another question for you maya users... after using the 3d paint tool to get an idea of where to put details on my color map, then exporting the 3d paint file and opening it in PS, it seems to be all distorted and blocky, i know that there is a fix for this problem, i just don't know what it is.

thanks again!

-dp

CGTalk Moderation
07-20-2005, 10:52 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.