PDA

View Full Version : Its a GOOD time to be a LW modeler

mix
10-27-2002, 04:53 PM
First the BevelEdge plugin, now interactive Banslice for free in the form of {FIsJigsaw-i-0_1_0} and a plugin to break up objects for use with SG_Explosion called CrackIt, IMO better than breakit.
Find them here http://www.infoseek.livedoor.com/~f_ichikawa/

Heres an example I cooked up which used both of these plugins
and took about 5 minutes from start to finish.
I hope this works, I always seem to have truble uploading stuff here.:shrug:

mix
10-27-2002, 05:09 PM
DAMIT!!!

Cman
10-27-2002, 08:03 PM
yeah you guys should definitely check out FI_Jigsaw (http://www.infoseek.livedoor.com/~f_ichikawa/).
It's very cool. Almost good enough to put Bandslice out of business! :surprised -lol

-wT-
10-27-2002, 09:09 PM
But your Bandslice costs money :hmm:
Well ok, 15$ isn't that bad, but it's hard to get it easily without a credit card... which I don't ofcourse own :annoyed:

It's funny, LW is the first progie I've seen to have plugins people've made that cost money.

proton
10-27-2002, 09:25 PM
Great stuff....We should start a thread again with great extra tools that could be on going....

Cman
10-27-2002, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by -wT-
But your Bandslice costs money :hmm:
Well ok, 15$ isn't that bad, but it's hard to get it easily without a credit card... which I don't ofcourse own :annoyed:

It's funny, LW is the first progie I've seen to have plugins people've made that cost money.

Whoa! You mean all those plugins that other progs have that cost money weren't made by people!!! :surprised :thumbsup:

Anyway, the plugin works pretty good. I did have intermittent errors though. It's kinda fun to use! :)

proton
10-27-2002, 09:49 PM
The thing to remember about plugins and tools that cost money is this....

If the tool will save you time then it's worth the price...time = money.....I always try and fit a new tool's cost into a current job....

If you buy every tool that sounds cool and don't have a current project that is in need of it....you will go broke buying these things....This will curve yourself from buying everything right away....only get what the job requires.....my 2 cents :thumbsup:

Infinity3d4life
10-27-2002, 10:40 PM
I like the crackit plug lots...

PotatoHead
10-27-2002, 11:07 PM
i would like lw plugins if i could afford lightwave.....
[sigh]....can't wait to turn 16 and be legally allowed to work:thumbsup: - and buy myself a copy of lw....:airguitar

i'm currently using blender, and i must say it sucks!!! - but dont tell any blender users here, cause ill get kicked out from the elysiun.com forum....:D

proton
10-28-2002, 12:26 AM
as a student you can get LW for $395....great deal!

-wT-
10-28-2002, 12:26 AM
Cman: Well I didn't mean it quite like that :p ;)
It's just that if you look at highend3d.com, there's just loads of MEL scripts and plugins for all kinds of things, and I've never even imagined someone to ask money for any of 'em.

But I didn't mean it was bad. I was just thinking out loud, that I haven't noticed this kind of a stuff happen in any other app-community.

Too bad there isn't a simple way to buy anything over net though :hmm:
Ok PayPal is supposed to be easy, but you need a credit card to load the money into your account, right? Well that's the place where I hit the wall...

Proton: Don't count on that, he seems to be from Poland, so that's quite far away from USA, like Finland. And in here, dark cold Finland, the educational copy cost me a total of 562$ (As 's are roughly the same amount of $'s, I just changed the char). I would think he has to spend roughly the same amount for his copy too.

Ofcourse 562$ isn't that much, but it's 167$ or 29% more than in there USA.

Just to let everybody know :rolleyes:

Cman
10-28-2002, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by -wT-
Cman: Well I didn't mean it quite like that :p ;)
It's just that if you look at highend3d.com, there's just loads of MEL scripts and plugins for all kinds of things, and I've never even imagined someone to ask money for any of 'em.
....<snip>

Let me paraphrase for you:

"It's just that if you look at FLAY.COM[.ed], there's just loads of LSCRIPTS[.ed] and plugins for all kinds of things, and I've never even imagined someone to ask money for any of 'em."

Check it out! ;)
Do a Plugin search for "*.*" and you will get a list of HUNDREDS of scripts and plugins.

A good User site is Faulkermano (http://thespread.topcities.com/) Dozens of EXTREMELY useful scripts.

Tottebias
10-28-2002, 02:30 AM
It's funny...I've always figured lightwave had more free plugs the the other ones.

Underwurlde
10-28-2002, 02:36 AM
Me too, Edge tools, Poz Extender,RT Smooth Scale and Daz Edge Bevel are all amazing freebies !

Everyone go do a search on Flay and grab them if you havent.

CIM
10-28-2002, 08:00 AM
Most LScripts/plugins for LW ARE free or very cheap. Even the stuff that Worley, Evasion, etc does is cheap considering the amount of work that goes into those plugins. Take note that most developers for Lightwave are 1-2 ppl. operations.

Be glad that there are ppl. out there that improve LW. If it wasn't for them, LW would be missing many of the features it currently has.

-wT-
10-28-2002, 12:25 PM
Yes yes, I know there's alot of plugins for LW which are free, but for other programs there aren't ANY plugins I've seen which would cost money. Apart from the "bigger" plugins developed by some actual company. That was my point :)

And yet again, my point wasn't that it was a bad thing there are these "smaller" plugins which cost money.

And thanks CMan for that excelent link! :thumbsup:

Cman
10-28-2002, 01:08 PM
Hi isnowboard, I agree that that's a cool idea. I proposed something like that and was reminded that many people/companies give away plugins and lscripts to help drive up traffic - such as the great flay.com itself. So including their plugins in the package could remove the incentive for companies like DAZ or DStorm to give away their work instead of charging fo it.
And I don't think any of us want that to happen. :)

mbaldwin
10-28-2002, 01:54 PM
and while it doesn't matter a whit to the LW PC community(nor should it), these plugs aren't being developed for Mac users.

Newtek should adopt some sort of quid-pro-quo practice with 3rd party plug-in dealers: offer developers pre-information on LW's migration path in exchange for following certain standards and practices. One of which is for plug-in product to be available for both PC and Mac. It doesn't have to be simultaneous, but it should be there--especially since Newtek relies on vigorous 3rd party development to improve their applications in between official releases.

This is not a criticism of 3rd party developers: they're merely existing in the space created by Newtek and it's software architecture. I would love to see a little more shaping and nudging by the mothership.

verti
10-28-2002, 02:49 PM
hi there guys and girls!

someone wanted a mac version of DAZ plugins? i wrote them an email... and this is the answer:

"I was hoping to hear from some MAC users. Up to this point, no one has
requested a MAC version of any of our plugins, so we haven't put the time
into it. Now that someone is interested I will get our programmer cracking.
I'll let you know when it is ready. I don't have a timeline yet, but
hopefully it will be soon.

Josh Darling
DAZ Productions"

now that's a response to only one man! i was the first :p

cheers,
verti.

LyonHaert
10-28-2002, 04:47 PM
i think there's fun to be had in finding new plugins. it's like finding new toys to play with all the time. first you have LightWave, and it's great. then you find a new plugin that improves LightWave, and then it's a little bit like a new LightWave for a while. there's a little excitement to it. however, if all these plugins were part of the LightWave install, we'd never have this kind of fun.

Edit: alright, this is screwed up. isnowboard's following reply about plugins being a crutch was here before i wrote this reply, and yet my post is placed before his.

isnowboard
10-28-2002, 05:13 PM
I see plugins as kind of a crutch for Lightwave/Newtek. For all these good plugins and L-Scripts, Newtek should be contacting the authors and seeing if they can be included in future upgrades. Hunting down plugins sucks.

On the bright side, it shows how generous, talented and giving many of the Lightwave community members are.

I hope with the new version that many of what the awesome L-scripts and plugins do, can be done natively with Lightwave. If Newtek is indeed writing things from the ground up, as it has been suggested, I hope that either the existing plugins/L-scripts that work for 7.5 will work for LW8/Mecca/Nexus/whatever the name is.

Cman
10-28-2002, 06:33 PM
Yep. My prevPost was also after isnowboard.
His post is funny. Keeps moving to the end.

-----
Oh sure! Now it sits still! lol

mix
10-28-2002, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by isnowboard
I see plugins as kind of a crutch for Lightwave/Newtek. For all these good plugins and L-Scripts, Newtek should be contacting the authors and seeing if they can be included in future upgrades. Hunting down plugins sucks.

On the bright side, it shows how generous, talented and giving many of the Lightwave community members are.

I hope with the new version that many of what the awesome L-scripts and plugins do, can be done natively with Lightwave. If Newtek is indeed writing things from the ground up, as it has been suggested, I hope that either the existing plugins/L-scripts that work for 7.5 will work for LW8/Mecca/Nexus/whatever the name is.

Haa, Its funny, I remember when LW7 was released and all the mouning that went on about how newtek just took a few good plugins and intergrated them into LW and called it a new release.
I would much rather Lux put in some features that are not allready available as a lscript or plugin, like have point selection visible on a subD mesh cross section instead of someware in space.:surprised

isnowboard
10-29-2002, 01:15 AM
I must have posted at the exact moment the server was swapping. The post is a moving, or was a moving...whatever.

Cman, good point, but Newtek should at least give the opportunity. In addition, I would hate to think Newtek wouldn't develop tools because they say, "Well, there's this L-script or plugin such and such made." They can just track it down and download from there. So, being a crutch, Newtek wouldn't develop the better tool natively within Lightwave. I view plugins and innovative gap fills until Newtek notices and either develops their own version, or includes the well written one by the programmer and gives them credit.

The ultimate goal should be to have everything natively, not a great selection and hunt and search, and download.

I don't know what relationship Dstorm has with Newtek, but don't they develop tools as part of their own production? Aren't they an arm of a video game company in Japan? Or are they a 3rd party developer just like Worley is? The fact Dstroms stuff ends up in Lightwave most of the time, is a good thing.

Cman
10-29-2002, 01:46 AM
Hey man, we're in the same camp! :thumbsup:
I personally would have no problem with them absorbing ALL my scripts - so long as they gave me some kinda credit. Maybe a page at the back of the manual or something that says, "Thanks to these LScript developers for their donation to the Lightwave community:" followed by a list of people, maybe their website, would be very cool with me. :)

In addition, there could be a HUGE database of lscript examples to come with Lightwave. Each a little different, which would show there's more than one way of doing it.
Anyway, we have no say. :shrug:

ps-you're right about DStorm. It was just an example of a company giving away plugs for a reason other than "being nice". AFAIK they do it as incentive for LWers to upgrade.

isnowboard
10-29-2002, 01:48 AM
You're right Cman.

mix
10-29-2002, 06:24 AM
I think the problem with putting all these scripts and such into new releases of lightwave or any app for that matter is that these cool scripts, Like yours Cman, seem to be under constant development, so just as you get your brand new lightwave out of the box and spark it up and play with all the goodies, you find your using the old version of this or that, WHAT!, now I have to go find the updated script. Look at vertexpaint.
Thats why I would much rather just go find it when it comes out.:)

isnowboard
10-29-2002, 06:37 AM
After thinking about it, Newtek doesn't have control over LW'ers writing useful scripts/plugins. I just hope the goal always stays in filling the gaps, where people find it isn't necessary anymore or advantageous to write a script, as it's already in the package.

Cman
10-29-2002, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by isnowboard
... I just hope the goal always stays in filling the gaps, where people find it isn't necessary anymore or advantageous to write a script, as it's already in the package.
Well I don't think that's ever going to happen. There's always something people discover they'd like to be able to do, usually after the program provides some new thing and users discover the limitations.
Look at G2, for example. As much control and power as it has, almost immediately people were clamoring for more options/controls/features. And that's just a plugin, not the core program. :)

isnowboard
10-29-2002, 02:17 PM
I just hope it makes your job/hobby harder, trying to find stuff the core package doesn't. I'm happy now, but never content. Speaking of writing scripts, there's another thread, that I suggested your name, and you might be able to help out. Didn't mean to volunteer you Cman, but it might of come across that way...sorry, as that wasn't the intention. Look here...if you don't see it. :)

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26186&pagenumber=2

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.