PDA

View Full Version : "The Scythe of Time" Short Movie

WebWolf
07-20-2005, 09:07 AM
Hello everyone,
this is my newest short movie, done in Softimage XSI.
It 's an one-man-project and I worked on it about half a year.
You can download it here:

http://www.animation3.de/3d.html (http://www.animation3.de/3d.html)

There is also a making-of available for download.

Regards
WebWolf

Winner
08-09-2005, 03:15 PM
what the hell ? why have none of you losers commented on this ? ;)

Great effort .... it was a joy to watch webwolf ! .....

I loved the animation, it was not 100% fluid but i think that kind of added to the surrealism of the story, and also you had some strong poses so that balanced itself out - i actually liked the way the motion was not totally smooth the more i think about it.... The editing was great too, no shots too long or unnecesary... I liked the characters, and i quickly felt a dislike for the fat character ( which i guess is what you wanted ), and the relationship between the two was clear.
I didnt really like the rendering - i thought it looked very `basic` -- it could have been much more beautiful looking with some careful consideration for lighting and shaders, but that did not divert that much from my overall enjoyment. Some of the skinning and deformation could also have had some more attention ( around the shoulders and elbows, and some of the morph shapes ). The story was kind of weird - but in a strange way it worked... i would have liked to have seen what happened to the slave, but i guess thats left to the audience guess.
Theres nothing wrong with an `out of the ordinary` story either.

oh yeah i forgot - great soundtrack too ! .. good choice of music and it was sequenced together very well.

I enjoyed that ...

pensart
08-09-2005, 08:00 PM
It seemed i missed this animation, very well done!! :thumbsup:
I'm also quite confused why no one did a reply on this.

blz
08-09-2005, 08:43 PM
wow,great work,and seems that you put a lot of effort in here.
very enjoyable movie, keep it up and congratz :)

Self-Designer
08-10-2005, 04:36 PM
WebWolf! I see you've brought your piece to here! Well, I've already wrote my commets to you via e-mail. Good luck.

Adi

mattmos
08-10-2005, 10:55 PM
Very successful piece! Well done. Edgar Allen Poe does write stories like no other, and its always interesting to see work based on his twisted take on the world :)

The animation is solid throughout, good weight, especially on the staircase, I like the contrast between the two characters and the relationship between them. The editing and staging is great, I love the quick cuts and the skewed angles. I actually quite like the harsh high contrast lighting and subtle painted textures also.

Not sure if I have any crits - maybe I feel some of the struggling is a little long-winded, and you could make more of the situation the slave is in - like have him spy a lever which would stop the clock, but be unable to reach it because he is supporting the weight of the fat character. This point is in the piece, but could be strengthened. Also when he goes to sleep the blurring between the next cut implies a dream sequence, so you're not quite sure if the rest of what happens is real, don't know whether that is intentional or not.Also agree with the comments on the facial shapes and shoulder/elbow deformation.

Overall though these don't detract too much from a very good short film - congrats!

BMS
08-11-2005, 12:03 AM
Liked it a lot, well done! I loved the ending :)

Have to say the making was great also, was that you in the making?

Cheers
Paul

CGTalk Moderation
08-11-2005, 12:03 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.