PDA

View Full Version : animating a frog's tongue

seema
07-20-2005, 05:53 AM
Hi guys,

I have a frog modelled for my project...he is basically gonna b catching a lot of flies..so i need to pay special attention to his tongue.

Can anyone give me tips on how to go about rigging the tongue.I was thinkin of a spline ik with soft body dynamics for secondary motion...I dunno if that the way to work it out. N I also need to make the tongue emit blobby surfaces.....but i dunno how to go bout it...can someone help?? or give me some references?

Spiffjackson
07-23-2005, 08:08 AM
why not try blend shapes for the tongue. that is what I did on a lizzard character a while back. worked great. If you don't want to do that then use spline IK with clusters on the control points and animate it manually. You can use the wire tool in conjunction with blendShapes to create this effect as well. there is a tutorial specifically about this technique in the book, "Maya Character Animtaion" by Jo-Jen Choi. He uses curves and draws out all of the different shapes of the tonge (from curled to strait) and then creates blend shapes out of the curves in order. Then the Curves are applied to the model as a wire deformer. Very simple way to do it.

thebrianproject
07-23-2005, 09:19 PM
what's wrong with using just a basic fk joint chain? There are ways to make the fk chain stretch, which can't be done in IK. Also as mentioned above, blendshapes would be the most versitile, and there would be very little set up.

seema
07-24-2005, 08:10 AM
hey thanks....yeah y didnt i think of blendshapes??....n.. looked at that book too, n it sounds easy n intersting.....well lemme try them out n c how it goes!

Thanks people :)

john_homer
07-24-2005, 10:11 AM
blendShapes are easy, but you will loose a lot of control...

if it just needs to do the 1 motion, then go for it.
but if you want flexibility while animating I would go with a joint chain, either splineIK or just FK, or a blend/combo thing... depends how deep you wanna go.

.j

kcfang
07-26-2005, 12:51 PM
I would suggest using Set Driven Keys with FK or SIK.

CGTalk Moderation
07-26-2005, 12:51 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.