grafixzzz
07-20-2005, 03:24 AM
hey all,

I'm new to digital painting and I was just curious
as to how you guys practice?

I was told to just grab a photo of a something
and try to recreate it in photoshop.

So I decided I'd redo a photo of my friend,
is this an effective way? or a waste of time?

Thanks

Lunatique
07-20-2005, 10:47 AM
You can try to paint from photo reference, or copy paintings you love, or paint from life--actually look at your environment and try to paint it. Since you are tied to a computer, it'll have to be what you can see sitting in front of your computer (unless you are using a laptop). Maybe the scene outside the window, or maybe the inside of your room. You can even get someone to sit in front of you and try to paint a life portrait/figure study.

All of these things will help train you as an artist. But other than hands-on painting, you should also study theories like color theory, anatomy, composition..etc. They will help you understand why the world looks the way it does, and how to depict moods, emotions..etc.

Calintz
07-30-2005, 08:19 AM
I would recommend copying other artworks because its already drawn and you know what it should look like on the computer and is therefore easier to compare your work to the original. whilst a real life photo is so much harder to practice from, its like jumping straight into the deep end of a pool b4 u've learnt to swim. Start easy, find simple images to copy from.

jmBoekestein
07-30-2005, 01:52 PM
Join the daily sketch group :D

It'll losen your grip on things and let you develop your subject matter and stuff. Actually, it's just fun mostly. :)

danielh68
07-30-2005, 05:03 PM
All of these things will help train you as an artist. But other than hands-on painting, you should also study theories like color theory, anatomy, composition..etc. They will help you understand why the world looks the way it does, and how to depict moods, emotions..etc.

Totally, agree. A little knowledge beforehand will give you a giant advantage when you begin painting.

Personally, without some understanding in theory, I don't think the beginning artist should use photos or copy work from the Masters. I think there's more to be gained from sketching your foot everyday.

rawgon
07-30-2005, 05:25 PM
im also new to digital painting, i´ve been using photos to practice, but i kind of agree with Calintz, sometimes i just copy things without understanding what im doing, wondering why it doesn´t look right. Lunatique its probably just right,(and the guy is just a hell of painter) about "study color theory, anatomy, composition..etc"
I found this site on the internet, http://www.artrenewal.org/, its not related to computer painting, but belive me every time i spend time looking at some paintings i learn things, its the place of true brush masters, it also have great articles about drawing and painting...

jmBoekestein
07-30-2005, 06:05 PM
Totally, agree. A little knowledge beforehand will give you a giant advantage when you begin painting.

Aint that the truth!!! I didn't really practice that often but having an understaning of what I was trying to do actually got me doing it in the end. I'm pretty happy with my 'learning speed' when I really study and think about what to do with the canvas.

CGTalk Moderation
07-30-2005, 06:05 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.