PDA

View Full Version : Vinton Studios announcement

worker_bee
07-20-2005, 01:11 AM
PHIL KNIGHT ANNOUNCES LAIKA

LAIKA Entertainment will produce feature films in the $50-70 million range.

http://laika.com/entertainment/index.html

Ckerr812
07-20-2005, 01:16 AM
Pretty sweet...

That's some catch! hah..get it catch...eh..anyways, I think the moon is paper as well :)

Well done.

mattmos
07-20-2005, 01:21 AM
Oh my good golly gosh. That looks rather sweet!

And as for the studio, that is the best news I've heard all year! Another player enters the fray, and its got great credentials :)

All the best to those up in Portland!

tevih
07-20-2005, 01:38 PM
I'm lovin' how more studios seem to be coming around to get into the feature film biz! That trailer looks awesome!! :)

agreenster
07-20-2005, 05:39 PM
Wow dude. Vinton is on a roll. First Corpse Bride, now this. I bet they are an excited shop up there.

MuSoolSa
07-20-2005, 07:51 PM
More jobs for all! Hopefully

My Fault
07-20-2005, 08:01 PM
Looks great, but it would be even cooler if Will Vinton still worked there.....

dubge
07-20-2005, 08:06 PM
I think it looks great. I hope we see more things like this.

Brettzies
07-20-2005, 08:06 PM
It would be even cooler if Will Vinton still worked there.....

And if it was still called Will Vinton Studios.

What the heck is Laika? Some kind of Russian space dog? Nike Animation Studios might have been cool. I could see why they would want to change the name since Will Vinton isn't their anymore.

Regardless, I think they can do some cool stuff with or without the Vinton label.

requiem
07-21-2005, 12:47 AM
The studio rocks, and the moongirl project was a blast. Henry is an amazing director and I'm betting the features coming out of that place will be top notch.

BillSpradlin
07-21-2005, 06:28 AM
The casio keyboard soundtrack has gotta go and putting "work in progress" on a sneak peak trailer really leaves a lot to be desired in regards to the professionalism of the project.

Other than that, not really my style of movie, but best of luck to everyone up there, I'm interested to see how it turns out.

Breinmeester
07-21-2005, 08:42 AM
It has a nice look, but the animation isn't at all flawless. The timing is very off sometimes. I bet it would even look floatier on the big screen.

Iysun
07-21-2005, 08:56 AM
I just finished reading an interesting little artical about this, a little snippet:

"Knight has said he wants his renamed company to become a major animation force, competing with the likes of Pixar and Dreamworks. Pixar has made a name for itself with a string of animated hits including The Incredibles, Finding Nemo, A Bug's Life and Toy Story."

>Source< (http://www.cbc.ca/story/arts/national/2005/07/20/Arts/NikeStudio_050720.html)

agreenster
07-21-2005, 09:55 PM
"Knight has said he wants his renamed company to become a major animation force, competing with the likes of Pixar and Dreamworks. Pixar has made a name for itself with a string of animated hits including The Incredibles, Finding Nemo, A Bug's Life and Toy Story."

Join the club bra

anthea
07-21-2005, 11:12 PM
i would see anything henry was a part of, that guy is so talented.

worker_bee
07-22-2005, 01:20 AM
The casio keyboard soundtrack has gotta go and putting "work in progress" on a sneak peak trailer really leaves a lot to be desired in regards to the professionalism of the project.

Other than that, not really my style of movie, but best of luck to everyone up there, I'm interested to see how it turns out.

I agree. I think it has a very student feel to it. I expected better even for a work in progress.

unchikun
07-22-2005, 03:50 PM
I agree, it is good tv series quality ala jimmy neutron but definately not feature film quality.... then again, some some animated features coming out dont look so great.

SheepFactory
07-22-2005, 03:58 PM
By the way this is not a feature , its a short film. On the site it says:

"a short film by Henri selick"

CGTalk Moderation
07-22-2005, 03:58 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.