PDA

View Full Version : Normal Mapped: Hulking Beast

andrewley
07-20-2005, 12:25 AM
Ok this is my first Normal mapping project and also my first time with zbrush. The hi rez is about 4 million polys, the low is about 12k.

All crits welcome

Cheers

http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/8862/p19kf.jpg

RO
07-20-2005, 12:34 AM
Looks cool! Not sure on the 12k count though for the low poly. I think with the nice normal map you could make this dude pretty low poly and still get away with it. I would put more of the polys to smooth the silhouette out. I have not done models with normal mapping but I remember from seeing the models at Epic that they worried more about the silhouette. Perhaps slightly different skin tones.

This is how Normal mapping should be done! full of detail! :)

Can you add the flats I would love to see them.

Edit: On the areas that are thiner you can add more of reddish tint to simulate light passing. Stuff like that would do wonders to the skin.

Por@szek
07-20-2005, 12:34 AM
Long time I see you in here andrewley. Normal mapp looks cool. A bit grinded but I like it. Only thing is that he is in one color. Maybe some combinations with other colors?? And like always, wire please and flat textures:thumbsup:

AdamAtomic
07-20-2005, 12:36 AM
Awesome! I agree with the others, I think you could halve the polycount and push some new hues into the color map and you would have a really beautiful final piece with some real technical merit, great job!

LeeSalo
07-20-2005, 07:18 AM
I have to say that depending on the type of game the 12k poly count is totally fine. I cant say why i know this but trust me. I was very blown away when i got this information but trust me, 12k is about mid to high range.

also sweet model and awsome normal mapping!

cheers, lee

TheGodZero
07-20-2005, 08:30 AM
Look like your using claytools on that guy, It has a claytools feel to it. You should check it out. Either way its very nice work.

Supervlieg
07-20-2005, 08:53 AM
Nice work Andrew. I think the other are right about the high polycount. Do you have a wireframe to show us?

Also the texture would benefit from more slight hue variations. It look really pinkisch overall.

Anyway, rock on!

Matt
07-20-2005, 09:07 AM
There are some areas that can be taken down in polygonal density. This is apparent when you look at the hump on his back from the side shot. The main silhouettes you should be concerned about are the front and front-side.

The best he could do without making it look too blocky would be around 9,500 polygons. If I saw a wireframe screenshot, I could highlight the edgeloops that easily could be removed without damaging the silhouette. I saw some definition in his forearms, that while nice, could be removed in favor of a lower polygonal count.

CGTalk Moderation
07-20-2005, 09:07 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.