PDA

View Full Version : Normalmappage Marine

katzeimsack
07-19-2005, 10:13 PM
Hi guys,

some information to prevent useless posts.

-Hairs will be generated by a shader (like the ones in the nvidia demo) so please don't flame the lame texture. (you are all invited to flame my bad, worng, dirty ans slow english though)

-colormap+specmap+normalmap used, no skin shader at the moment.

-one light, no raytracing so on

http://www.sro.at/bildupload/images/gesicht.jpg

baaah888
07-19-2005, 10:24 PM
ok i'll start with the crit.

couple of things look funny

The lip ring. That looks well dodgy, looks like it goes in and out of the lip really quickly. I's dugest mving the ring back into the mouth so it looks like it goes right through the lip rather than just sicks out on the outer lip.

The eyes, look a little too high, I may be wrong but the face part of the head looks too long. by about 1cm - 2cm

other than that, some really nice work, hope the hair looks cool.

RO
07-19-2005, 10:29 PM
A marine with piercing?

I am sure that type of style stuff are banned in any military. plus it could be really bad if you get caught on something.

Besides that it looks good. The mid face line does not look smooth at all also. The nose shadow on the lower side part looks too dark also.

Mastahful
07-19-2005, 11:54 PM
I like it, but I agree with the previous posts, I donít think the rings really go with the character, but other then that i like it.

katzeimsack
07-20-2005, 07:15 AM
@baaah888: I know, but I was afraid of clippingerrors :/
I will try to fix it and I will try to fix the eyes too

@Desp#2/Rog: The char will be a future marine (like the ones in gow,ut,dooom.. bla) so in my oppinion the piercings add to his dirty,bad character.

At the moment, there are two halfs of a face put together, therefore the mid face line does not look smooth at all. I will fix it when the face is finished.

thanks for the comments :)

Neox
07-20-2005, 08:25 AM
future or not, i think a soldier will never be allowed to wear such things in combat situations

having them under the helmet must hurt pretty much ;)

however, nice work so far, could we get a look without the normalmap? just to compare :)

Wayne Adams
07-20-2005, 09:54 AM
well from a veteran point of view the piercings cause too many problems, one they look unprofessional, two they interefere with MOPP (chemical gear) three, they shine in tactical manuvers and cause attraction from enemy sentries and the like four, they can be used against the marine in an EPW situation.

No offense the face is kewl, but those rings don't make him look badass, they make him look a little gay, now some battle scars or a patch or a tattoo would work much better, hope to see more updates soon.

ArchangelTalon
07-20-2005, 03:19 PM
I think if you're wanting a dirty, bad character, you should give him some scars instead.

Also I'm not sure just how much detail/shape the normal map is adding here. It seems to me that you could get an almost exactly similar effect just with a colour and maybe a spec map.

Augh
07-20-2005, 04:04 PM
Make him up like the rings were already forcibly pulled out. Then he'll look like a hardass ;)

I like your colour map :)

RO
07-20-2005, 04:11 PM
The main dude in GOW and Doom3 have no tattoos or piercings on the face area they both look badass. Misconceptions of design... I can not make him look badass enough so ill add a couple of tattoos and piercings. That makes him look more like reject. Tattoos have to be tastefully done and piercings wellÖ To me he looks like a freak. I have never found piercings = badass.

The GOW guy does have a scare which fits in the story line.

Bazooka Tooth
07-20-2005, 04:24 PM
I donít think I have ever met a rugged individual who wears jewelry, especially in their face. Not saying that there isnít, just seems like guys who wear jewelry are just the opposite of tough. I think you should get rid it, its ruining your character.

franklyn
07-20-2005, 04:30 PM
i agree with everyone if u want a bad ass look give him a scar and maybe limit his rings to one on the ear other than that the rings on his face do not add anything to his character . it actually makes him look a bit imature ... coz he has a real serious face and then these silver protrusions coming out everywhere lol. besides that i would say its really nicely done what is this model for ? some kind of mod ?.

supernekosan
07-21-2005, 07:15 AM
is there only a face??

Wayne Adams
07-21-2005, 08:01 AM
the only jewelry a bad ass wears is his dog tags and wedding ring. ;)

Hatred
07-21-2005, 08:38 AM
Who said Marines can;t wear rings on his face? my marine is wearing them 2 :) check it out :) http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=257854

good job till now, cant wait to put them arm to arm in combat :)

and I dont think his face looks too long, humans have varius heads :)

LoTekK
07-21-2005, 10:04 AM
The texture looks pretty good so far, aside from the noticeable seam down the center of the mesh. I fully agree with the previous comments: get rid of the piercings. Or, if you absolutely insist on keeping them, turn that spec down. As it stands, the shine on that jewellery would make a real nice target at night. I like Augh's suggestion about making it look like his piercings were ripped out at some point. Probably by said Marine's DI in boot camp. :D I had a friend who used to have an earring, but it got ripped out in a barfight. Granted he cried like a girl when it happened, but he certainly looks a lot more badass with a split earlobe than he ever did with an earring.

Bazooka Tooth
07-21-2005, 03:41 PM
[QUOTE=Hatred]Who said Marines canít wear rings on his face? my marine is wearing them 2 check it out http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=257854[/QUOTE (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=257854%5b/QUOTE)]

Hate to tell you, but that is a poor design. That one has no peripheral vision, I'm not scared of him, just move to the side of him, and he canít see you then. If I was in a combat situation, you couldn't force me to wear something shinny, especially on my face.

Just like Wayne Adams said, dog tags and a wedding band.

Stefander
07-21-2005, 04:22 PM
I really like the model, but the rings ruin it for the most part... Just give it something else, like healed scars... Because right now, he looks like a groupie picked from the streets to distract enemy girls with his looks. Also, don't give him too much hair, since marines aren't metro sexual about things and most just shave it off... ;)

-KDX-
07-21-2005, 05:08 PM
seems like a concensus...save the rings for the punks and anti-heroes.

normally I welcome something new or odd like that, but in this case (a marine) that's a little too far-off. Even if a marine chose to wear facial piercings, it wouldn't be while he was on duty.

-KDX-

itsallgoode9
07-21-2005, 05:29 PM
I'm actually going to comment about somthing other than a design choice :scream: As one person mentioned earlier, I really don't think your normal map is adding anything to this face. Have you created a high poly version and created your normal map from that? The reason I ask is because I had talked to somebody before that said they genereated thier normal map from thier bump mapped character....the two were the exact same poly count :D Anyways, you might want to research the workflow for the normal map a little more because it seems like it's not doing anything at the moment.

supernekosan
07-22-2005, 09:32 AM
why didn'T i see that..it is tru...can wee see nthe normal map..or maybe the hi rez model!!

katzeimsack
07-22-2005, 10:25 AM
I will post the highres model later, when the face will be finished.

The normalmap adds a lot depth. As I said the render only has one light with a standard setting, the more contrast the lighting gets, the more the normalmap gets obvious...

Hopefully I will post an update after work ...

katzeimsack
07-25-2005, 12:01 PM
ok, I reworked the whole highpolygonal model, in order to give it al little bit more 'contrast'. Here it is.

http://www.sro.at/bildupload/images/high.jpg

It's not good, because I am new to zbrush, but I think it will be enough :)

CGTalk Moderation
07-25-2005, 12:01 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.