PDA

View Full Version : How to do this the elegant way?

the_beginner
07-19-2005, 06:01 PM
Hello there,

this is my first Thread and Posting on CGtalk.com.
I am not really the best in writing and speaking english but i think you'll understand what i mean :)

There is my 'problem':
First.. i use Lightwave 7.5c.

Ive made a disc and beveled it sometimes to model a bowl or something. Now i would make this thing ready for subpatches. Especially i mean this polygon:

http://www.derschoner.de/unneeded/cg_bowl.gif

I have tried "collapse poly" but when i press tab after this action
i got these ugly stripes:

http://www.derschoner.de/unneeded/cg_bowl2.gif

Is there an elegant (nice) way to make this circle ready for subpatching?

greez beginner

Davishi
07-19-2005, 08:49 PM
Is there an elegant (nice) way to make this circle ready for subpatching?

greez beginner

Hi, this is my first post as well, so not sure if it'll show up before someone else answers your question, but...

instead of using a disc to make your bowl, make some points on one of the viewports, connect the polys with an closed curve, then Lathe the thing around the corresponding axis (I'm assuming you know how to lathe- if not, there are many tutorials out there to help). Make sure after selecting the points you don't make a polygon, but rather a closed curve (default ctrl^p), otherwise you'll get those lines again. I just ran into the same problem yesterday, heh. Hope this helps!

stevecullum
07-19-2005, 08:56 PM
I think the reason this looks bad is because there is a mix of 3 and 4 sides polys. 3 sided polys are best avoided when using subpatches.

If you really need a subpatch bowl, then I would start with a flat 2 by 2 cube, and then scale in the outer corner points to form a nice rounded surface. Then use the smooth shift and bevel tools to extrude the shape you need.

Hope this helps!

telamon
07-19-2005, 08:59 PM
For the interior circle, do make pole and fix pole to smooth it. Add a couple of bandsaws to get sharper edges ahd that should be fine.

IMHO the best way to make a bowl is to draw its profile using the pen tool and lathe it.

holyzombiejesus
07-19-2005, 09:20 PM
You could bevel the bottom polygon in a few more times, to further define the bottom of the bowl. If you then collapsed the middle poly, it should sort you out. But I usually do like telamon says, and use the lathe tool.

the_beginner
07-19-2005, 09:32 PM
Thank you, both methods works fine (holys & telamons) :bounce:

gerardo
07-21-2005, 01:16 AM
Other simple way is to begin with a disc with 8 sides :)

http://www.geocities.com/gerardstrada/plate.txt

Gerardo

rickycox
07-21-2005, 04:31 AM
Use the 'Spikey' tool on the big centre polygon, this will divide it up iike slices of pie into triangles. Then of course if you select and merge two neighbouring Triangles you end up with a quad.

CGTalk Moderation
07-21-2005, 04:31 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.