PDA

View Full Version : Learning Character Modeling

Nyx2095
07-19-2005, 06:34 PM
Hello everyone,

I am a programmer with a strong interest for 3D graphics. I have been made raytracing/path tracing/photon mapping renderers in the past. I am also about to start programming my second experimental distributed renderer. But I would like to learn character modeling to express my artistic side a little more. I have always wanted to model *good looking* female characters, as a matter of fact. I want to do everything myself, as much as possible. That is, the model, the texturing, and possibly the animations.

I have been in contact with alot of people that use 3D Studio Max, and it appears to me that this is the most used tool, or certainly one of the most popular, at least as far as the game industry is concerned. Hence, I would be interested in familiarizing myself with that tool. My first question is: Are any tools other than 3D Studio Max and Photoshop that are really needed to create character models?

My second question is, do you people have book suggestions? On the CGTalk frontpage, they are announcing this book called "D'Artiste", which I figure has not yet come out, but does that really teach you how to model characters, or is it more of a way to sell you renders of very good models from talented artists. And what about 3D Studio Max, is that quite hard to learn, and should I be looking for specialized books?

Are there any character modelers willing to share some of their learning experiences?

Opelfruits
07-19-2005, 10:37 PM
If you really want to do everything yourself, you could make your own modelling program :thumbsup:

if you are going to just dive right in to modelling characters you would probably become very frustrated very quickly. Just do some simple tutorials you get with whatever program you decide to use.

Download the demos of each app and see which you like best, or go with whatever you can afford. or there are some modelling specific apps like modo, wings or silo.
Im a little bit biased towards xsi, great modelling tools, + its cheap as chips compared to max.

I think d'artist is more of a showcase of artwork than a tutorial bank, there are some tutorials with it but i doubt they will be very detailed. Im sure it will be a good book none the less.

jtico
07-24-2005, 03:01 PM
May I suggest you to tray the modeler wings3d? It's free, ease to learn and yet a powerfull modeler.
Click here for an example.

Alberto

ThomasMahler
07-24-2005, 03:26 PM
I'd also recommend Wings if you're learning modeling in 3d, it's just a straight-forward package, it's free and still rocks. It's a little slow and doesn't support tablets, but what the heck, it's one of the best poly/SubD Packages out there.

Other than software/tools, you probably want to read this here:

http://cube.phlatt.net/forums/spiraloid/viewtopic.php?TopicID=733&page=0
http://maxrovat.sns.hu/subdiv/

And the last thing you need: A lot of patience and determination, cause you'll stumble many, many times before you'll come up with anything decent.

CGTalk Moderation
07-24-2005, 03:26 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.