PDA

View Full Version : Terrain Tiling

royboy
07-19-2005, 05:42 PM
This is driving me nuts!.... Ive got accurate heightfield bitmaps (generated from contours & point data). Anyway an area (15km x 15km) has been created into one greyscale bmp (cell size 10meters).

Ive split using photoshop into 9 x 5km squares, and bring this into vue using bitmap. Looks great, but I cant line up the terrain squares accurately. Can get one side perfect but then the other will be out (heightwise) even though its cut from exactly the same greyscale bitmap. Almost like the terrains at an angle.

Ive also tried cuting a hole in the middle so I can align the middle terrain with the outside "doughnut" terrain. Same thing - one side will match but the other will be out.

Charles has got a great tutorial on this, which I've followed through.. his appear to line up correctly :- http://tidbit.freefronthost.com/tutorials/tiling/index.htm

Anyone had any experience doing this - that can give me a few pointers? I dont want to use one big terrain.

royboy
07-21-2005, 12:37 PM
Got a bit closer by putting two dots on each greyscale bitmap. One dot white (max height) the other black (min height). Vue then scales each the same so they fit better together. Still get a slight seam but looks ok.

All good... except for when I remove the max height with a soft diffuse in terrain editor. For some bizzare reason the terrain is rescaled and I'm back to terrains that are scaled differently. Doesnt help modifing z scale on each terrain as one side would match but the other would be out.

Question is - is there anyway to change the altitude height within terrain editor - ie specifing a max altitude? It lets you clip altitude easily enough..

Wabe
07-22-2005, 07:41 AM
I haven't tried it out but i can imagine if you add a function - maybe a simple constant value that can give you this control. Needs some playing i think but i can imagine it can do.

What Vue version are you using? Maybe you can go back to "one terrain" and make that procedural to be able to go as close as you need to.

CGTalk Moderation
07-22-2005, 07:41 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.