PDA

View Full Version : Character Animators

simon-s
07-19-2005, 04:23 PM
Hi All... I posted this on the general discussion forum but had no response...Maybe you guys can help?

I just wanted to know roughly how long a proffesional animator in the industry would be given to complete a 10 second 3d cartoon character animation, complete with lip-sync and gestures etc??

And for that matter...how many seconds of character animation is generally expected of a proffesional 3d animator per week in the average animation/games studio?

Many Thanks! :)

Suricate
07-19-2005, 05:22 PM
I'm not a profeessional animator, but AFAIK an output of 20 seconds per week is a good estimate. In the recent Q&A session, Victor Navone said that he animated about 4 seconds per week when working on 'Incredibles' - and he considers himself one of the quicker animators at Pixar ! :)

Cman
07-19-2005, 05:26 PM
I've read in many Q&As that animator's complete 3-5 seconds a week for feature film, 7-10 seconds a week for television.

But that includes many Dailies reviews by the animation lead and director, meaning they don't complete a first pass a week, but a polished animation.

simon-s
07-20-2005, 10:09 AM
an output of 20 seconds per week is a good estimate.

Wow! That seems like a pretty heavy work load...Why so much for TV animation compared to film?

Vojislav+Milanovic
07-20-2005, 07:32 PM
4 sec per week seems to be industry standard. at least that's what i heard somewhere.

paul k.
07-21-2005, 12:10 AM
you should do a search on http://cgchar.toonstruck.com/forum/index.php

I know a lot of pro character guys who hang out there. If you are intersted in doing character animation this is the forum you need to frequent.

P

simon-s
07-21-2005, 12:12 AM
Thanks..I'll check that out!

T4D
07-21-2005, 02:47 AM
we had this chat on Lightwave Oz afew weeks ago 3 or 4 animator and i all posted pretty much the same thing you should be getting between 18 second to 30 seconds a week once the job gets going 2 or 3 weeks you could get more out of them

you could seach the posts here (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lwOz/) if you want the info was pretty good but you my have to ask permission for it from teh mod :wise:

pixar i read look for 3 seconds a week ( that's the life :rolleyes: )

CGTalk Moderation
07-21-2005, 02:47 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.