PDA

View Full Version : Bump may Confusion

lightwavelover
07-19-2005, 03:30 PM
HI all

I can't figure out why my bump map is warping my character. Also I can't see the bump map when it is applied just the effect it is causing. How do you see the bump map to change the size and position.
Btw when i applied the map i had the Texture amplitude set to 0.01 and it was still way off, any larger sizes and it warps out even more.
Any help is appreciated.

thanks

LL

Zarathustra
07-19-2005, 03:55 PM
Apply as a colormap first in order to see it in OGL.
Once you have it right, then apply as a bump.

IC12
07-20-2005, 10:54 AM
Sounds more like displacement than bump. Hope I'm not being insulting but that's not what you're using is it?

lightwavelover
07-20-2005, 04:00 PM
Even though i am still new to the different maps, i don't believe it is a displacement map. although initally i made the mistake of puting it in the bump displacement in the object properties under the deform tab.
The map is black and white and it is ment to define the cracked lips and other bumps on the characters face. I read some info through 3DLinks on bump maps and what they do first.
So no i don't believe it is a displacement map, at least its not ment to be.

Thanks

LL

IC12
07-20-2005, 04:07 PM
The difference between bump and displacement is purely where you put the map.

Applying it as you describe above will distort your model in unpredictable ways. If its applied in the surface editor as a map in the bump channel, as I assume you've now done, it should work properly.

Keep us updated.

CGTalk Moderation
07-20-2005, 04:07 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.