PDA

View Full Version : vue worth it???

Mono Jojoy
07-19-2005, 02:16 PM
Hello,
I have got Vue3 from the PC World magazine.
I installed it on my computer and played a bit around with it.
Well, its not overwhelming but OK.
During the testing I experienced that it crashes a lot and without giving any reason.

My Computer is W2000pro, Gforce 5200 128Mb, 1Gb ram, P4

After making a couuple of scenes with it I went to the e-onsoftware website and downloaded the Vue4Demo version.
I tested that, but also this version crashes once in a while.

UNFORTUNATELY since my installation of Vue4Demo I can hardly work with Vue3 any more because it now crashes really a lot. Sometimes I open it, make a new document and crash.

Why is anyone still buying this exteremely unstable software? Also others have told me about having exactly the same problems.

Any thoughts or comments?
Maybe what to do how to make Vue work smoothly?

Mike.H
07-19-2005, 03:01 PM
well i dont know what to say because some people clearly do have issues, but then again i dont, and i know of alot of people that just like me works with it on a daily basis and it just ticks along.....

So is vue worth it, h.ll yeah in my opinion, for scenery and landscape jobīs itīs more then worth it, is it unstable, not for me.

Now, vue3 that is one seriously old software, even vue4 was released 5 years ago so i think that says it all, vue5 is realy a completely different breed of application and in my opinion easily worth the money.

The one thing that seems to be more common regarding stability is rendercows, other then that i do not know one single person with a legit copy that has serious problems working with either vue4 nor vue5, sure there are still some out of memory issues with v5 but they arent happening all the time or in my case, almost never and e.on do have a track record of listening to complaints and fixing them so i dont see that as a reason not to buy the application, unless of course you need to know right now that rendercows works 100% of the time right now, then you should wait or atleast settle with checking out the v5 demo.

swampthing
07-19-2005, 03:19 PM
That whole argument that e-on tries to push on everyone that the only people that are crashing is the pirates is a bunch of crap. I seem to even remember once that they said they "purposely" engineered it so that if you weren't using a legit version of vue, it was designed to be more unstable. Ummm yeah, right. If they were that smart, why not just make it not run at all? Besides, some of the supposed pirated versions were nothing more than a serial number, not modified exe so how exactly is that going to affect stability?

The truth of the matter is that vue has always been a crashfest application for a large portion of the userbase. I owned both vue 3 and 4 and BOTH were so incredibly unpredictable when it came to crashing it was nuts. I mean you could just click something and boom, crash. Sometimes you could not do anything and boom crash. I've had stability issues with the vue5 demo as well on 2 different systems so i have no reason to beleive they have made the app stable yet, which is why i will not be buying another of their products until i see a marked improvement. Vue is probably the best terrain generator out there, world builder kinda took a dump and world construction set produces pretty sub par results as well, so it's kinda sad that vue is such an inherantly unstable app. I know the previous poster says he hasn't had issues, could be true, but the sheer number of people you see complaining about random crashes only backs up those posts.

Beleive the whole piracy thing if you want, but it's a load of bunk, it crashes because it's an unstable app.

Mono Jojoy
07-19-2005, 03:34 PM
Mike,
the Vue4 is a demo version. Its a 40MB download while the normal version is 80MB.
Who would crack a demo version???
The Vue3 , I acknowledge the versions are old, are from the PC World Magazine and I have aquired a Serial number from e-onsoftware to run it.
So, there is NOTHING cracked or hacked.

Some commented that VUE has issues with Gforce graphics cards.

I am currently using terragen which is stable and I can import the terrains into C4D.
Well, there are limits and thats why I am seriously looking into an alternative.

Still, after hearing so many comments about VUe5 , positive AND negative...and looking at the steep pricetag for a landscape generator I think 'swampthing' is probably right in advising not to buy it.
If the result is unpredictable....how would I know whether or not it runs on my machine? I dont want to pay 599$ and have a crash every minute.

Anyway keep your comments coming.
Maybe someone knows why Vue is unpredictable.

Mike.H
07-19-2005, 07:05 PM
i believe youīre both quite sensitive here, did i say you used a cracked version? NO.

I said that besides out of memory and rendercow issues i didnt know anyone with a legit copy that had serious stability issues, i never said it was 100% stable for people with legit copys.

I can only use myself as an example and the people i work with and know in real life, none of them has any stability issues with vue4 and vue5 with the exception of a out of memory with vue5, which doesnt happen often, but it can happen and it sometimes do happen (rarely tho in my case, several weeks since the last time and i work with vue on a daily basis).

And on top of that, a common issue for some users seems to be rendercows, besides that i dont know of any serious stability issues with vue5, that doesnt mean there isnt any issues, and it doesnt mean itīs as stable for everyone else, and it certainly doesnt mean that youīre using a cracked demo version of vue4 (which i never claimed you did)....

Oh, iīm also using a geforce card so that cant be the deciding factor.
Obviously if the demo is that unstable for you then you shoudnt buy the application.

dueyftw
07-20-2005, 02:26 AM
I have Vue 4.2 d’Esprit and now 5I with 10 cows. I use Vue as a render for Poser animation. Having 12 computers 2.1Ghz-512meg Alienware, 2.2-128meg Compaq and 10 866hz-128meg e-hp. Network rendering on all but the simple stuff (no Poser imports) works fine. 4.2 is actuality more stable than 5I. 5I is a memory hog. The program takes up more space which leaves less for the work inside. 4.2 will run fine on 128meg machine, it just gets slower and slower when you start to overload it. Be prepared to wait 2 minutes or more between mouse clicks. The biggest problem I’m having is the network rendering sucks with any Vue. Don’t expect it to work.

If you have Poser, Mimic, Vue and a good editing program. You can do animation. Can this setup do everything that a 6000 dollar program dose? No.

Dale

Wabe
07-20-2005, 07:42 AM
I find this discussion always sort of funny. When i have issues with something and others don't i normally start looking for the differences between their and my settings or doings.

Yes, i had a crash of Infinite two days ago. I reported it to e-on, they agreed on the little problem and it will be fixed in the next update. It is so simple.

Yes, i can have more crashes if i want to. I simply use a lot of other programs beside. Especially some old games i like to play cause problems when they run in parallel. I know that but when i use them it is more my problem or the problem of this old software than Infinites.

Last but not least two more things. The standard sentence here - show me one software that is bug free? And the other, don't forget how old Infinite is. Just three months it is out. Don't forget that.

However, this discussion we will have forever and a day.

Silverblade-T-E
07-20-2005, 08:14 AM
Initially, Infinite for me was buggier than an ant hill on fire, ugh. hellish.

Recent upgrades have fixed most of it. I also discovered cleaning my registrey helped a ton.
Large Poser textures bog it down far more than poly counts, I believe this is a source of concern for everyone. ie I can have a million polys and it works fine (imported) but add a Poser figure with a 4048x4048 texture...and it starts to crawl. I should actually do some testing but usually Icna import 4 or more Poser figures with smaller texture files ok.
I think a system to offer reduction in imported textures would help a lot as you don't need them bar for close ups.
ie, an import dialogue box asks if youwish to reduce imported textures to by half or 1/4 etc.

On the up side, it's a PLEASURE to work with. it doesn't drive me bat **** with ludicrously obscure interfaces etc. It is not of course, a very high end app, so it has limits. Some of the nodes and filters make little sense I should say, but in general they are really interesting to work with,a nd can give relaly interesting results, ie having a complex mixed material with texture driven maps for precise placement of ecosystems etc.

Wabe
07-20-2005, 08:25 AM
The reduction button for textures would be cool feature indeed. Someone should propse that to e-on for Vue 6.
Yeah, the huge textures are the major problem. You simply can calculate how much memory a 4000x4000 bitmap takes away and how often you have those in only one high-res Poser character. This is a killer. One reason why i am so happy with the procedural skin shaders DBurdick is working on. That is a huge help, especially for not so close-ups.

Mono Jojoy
07-20-2005, 08:33 AM
Mike, yes I am currently a bit sensitive.

I have been to the DAZ forum.
There was also the discussion about Vue.
Someone wrothe the same stuff that hacked versions often dont run properly.

I answered: "I am using the Vue4demo version. Ever heared about a cracked demoversion?"

One of the mods, must be one with low brain activity, understood it wrongly and thought I was working with cracked software, which is illegal. He WARNED me.
I tried to rectify my statement and tried to explain that they have misunderstood my post. Now I am banned there becaue they still think I am using a cracked version of Vue4demo .
What a ridiculous idea.

Now you know why I am currently a bit sensitive.

Wabe
07-20-2005, 08:46 AM
What a story. Understandable that you are a little sensitive now.

The point with the anti-pirate thing is not that anybody thinks you are using a cracked demo version. That indeed makes no sense at all. But i heard that on some machines this anti-pirate strategy in the demo version runs a little wild and does what it is not supposed to do there, it crashes.

The problem with that is, that you therefore never know wether the complete version works on your system or not. I would want to see a demo version without this anti-pirate thingie to avoid exactly this discussion/thought that probably will keep you away from buying the product.

Dale B
07-20-2005, 11:40 AM
Many of the sites that retail content have adopted the 'Shoot first and who cares about questions' attitude; even mentioning the word 'warez' has gotten people banned (as in "I keep hearing about this 'warez' thing. What is it?"), and none of them have an effective appeals process..... :rolleyes:

Another geeky tip; anyone who can't get a stable Vue install (any version from disc), try swapping out your disc reader. The Cd/DVD combo drives are particularly touchy. I keep an old 40x CD reader handy just in case. There can be firmware issues (that brand new drive might have a rom in it with 3 year old code...cheap to make but not the most compatible puppy on the shelf), and more commonly a weak laser head, or an undersized or low-chip-quality buffer -in- the drive that creates buffer underrun, which will thoroughly break Vue.

Kevin Sanderson
07-20-2005, 12:39 PM
So true, Dale. I was having problems with other programs on a PC with an older DVD/CD-ROM, and replacing it a couple years ago and reloading the programs solved that immediately. I now always question stability issues for that very reason.

Another thing that comes up with stability is how the person is actually using the software. Some software is finicky about following the proper procedures outlined in a manual and only those procedures. Anything else causes freezes or crashes.

More powerful software often can be the only thing to run so it's also best to not run other programs or let programs run in the background (startup tray, etc.).

I've also seen Internet pings bring programs to a standstill or just plain crash the system (good reason for a hardware firewall).

CPU overheating can also cause freezes...if you're running hot, clear the ducts to your PC and get another fan, etc. You'll see the temperature steadily rise and sometimes jump if intense calaculations are under way...even for simply moving points around in some programs.

Some things to keep in mind.

Kevin

swampthing
07-22-2005, 02:40 PM
The only reason i brought up the cracked thing was because i've seen these discussions before and i KNEW someone sooner or later was going to suggest his problems were because he was using a pirated version. It almost never fails that someone will decide that's the problem when they don't even realize that the program hasn't been modified at all. I also really wish i could find that quote from the e-on people where they insist that the software is supposed to run badly on a cracked version. I remember when i read this i was very very disgusted with them because it's like they were trying to hide behind this so that every time someone would say "omg this piece of software crashes constantly" everyone would think that this person had a cracked version and it wasn't the software. And if you've read many vue threads like i have on other forums you KNOW this is exactly what happens. They blame the owner of the software for using a pirate version instead of true case, teh buggy crash prone software.

In the case of vue that just isn't it though, it's just a VERY crash prone app. Someone mentioned that it's only been out for 3 months. Normally i'd say you have a point, but version 3 and version 4 were also EXTREMELY crash prone so it's obvious that they have a history of making a very unstable application and are unable for whatever reason to fix this.

I think that vue is a great app when it isn't crashing and one of the best landscape creation tools you could use, but you need to be very aware that this application can very well have some major issues on your machine before you buy it or you're going to get very frustrated very quickly. I don't even remember off the top of my head but does it even have a timed autosave?

Wabe
07-22-2005, 03:02 PM
I think that we go in circles.

I am always amazed and a little sad that in most of these discussions only bad news are good news. People like me that don't have more problems than with any other software have much less appearance than the ones that does have these problems. I always feel a little like a liar and/or an undercover e-on agent.

I don't know wether i said it here before or not - when an application crashes on my system constantly and on others not i look for differences in the settings or doings. Not more and not less. Which means i more blame me and/or my system than the application. Which means not that i blame any of the people here that have problems!

However, this discussion will never come to a result.

auto-save function? Sort of. In most crashes i have the file is saved and can be recovered. Behind the scenes the file is constantly (from time to time) saved so to say.

Before you say AHA - "most crashes" here we have it. I am a beta tester of the software (AHA, an e-on agent!!!) and of course there were a lot of crashes in the early state of testing. Most issues i saw are sorted out now.

Now let's see what the next round of this discussion will be!

Mike.H
07-22-2005, 04:54 PM
im going to take side with the "e.on agent" wabe here :) , just kidding of course.

Thing is Swampthing, yes we all know that some do have issues with vue (just like some have issues with winxp and others dont), and no people that report about bugīs dont get called warez userīs, iīve reported my fair share of bugs in the past, wabe has and i know quite alot of other users to, and none of us are being labelled as using a cracked version.

The difference tho is that calling an application useless or worthless and stating that itīs a piece of shit wont help anyone, reporting a bug in a proper way will help eon make a better software and give us the users a better software.

Now, according to e.on the cracked version are unstable, im believing this because itīs not unique, i know of several other software developers that manages to boork up cracked versions one way or another, which of course is an ongoing battle going back and forth between patches and versions, but itīs not unique.

Now how do i know this? iīve been a beta tester/team member for several software developers and it realy isnt unique.

Another reason some people will be pointed out as using a cracked version is that itīs a relativly small community around e.on and vue so somethings do stick out.

In the end tho, it realy is a moot discussion, there are issues left in the app but itīs also working realy smooth for alot of users (including myself and trust me i had alot of issues earlier on in vue5īs lifespan aswell) but thereīs always things that can be improved upon but vue3 and vue4 is realy a dead horse, thereīs no updates coming out for those versions, so if you have vue5 update it and if you encounter a bug file a proper bug report thatīs the way to help out and feel confident that any issues will get corrected.

So for now, do a bug report :) and by all means post about your bugs here on cgtalk, but do a proper post about them and perhaps even we the common vue users can help you figure out if thereīs anything we/you can do.

sacslacker
07-22-2005, 06:57 PM
Well aside from the very off-topic posts talking about cracked versions and all of that. I would say for the price, Vue is definitely worth it. It has it's share of problems and UI is somewhat clunky (very Bryce like in my opinion) The camera controls suck. But once you get past those issues, Vue has some very nice features that can really enhance your pipeline.

I have had Vue 5 from release and I'll tell you the first version was a crashfest. With the latest updates I havn't had many issues. I will say this, ALL 3D applications will crash on you at one point or another.

Wabe
07-22-2005, 07:54 PM
Bryce-like UI?????

You must say that once in a Bryce forum. But tell me before so that i can watch the emotions going up!

The different UI is exactly what Bryce addicts always complain about when they talk from THE MAJOR DIFFERENCE to Vue.

But i see what you mean and you are not so wrong really.

mdunakin
07-22-2005, 09:10 PM
I've had Vue5I for a little over a week now and totally love it and feel it's worth the price.

I wouldn't even thik of asking for my money back.
Yes, I DO have freeze up problems, but I'm not just complainning about them,
but rather asking others here if they have heard of or know of what may be
causing these porblems.
So far not much has helped, BUT!, this isn't stopping me, as I want to figure
out exactly WHY it does what it does and am slowly but surely getting closer
to finding and pin pointing the problem and how to recreate it also.
This way I can send in a report to e-on and let them know about this, as I find
that (keyword here) "proper" bug reporting DOES get things fixed down the road.

I've beta tested for several companies and still do, and find
that reporting bugs prperly, whether you beta test or are
just a customer really does get results.
My problem is one that has already been mentioned by others and happens
to me almost every time I work with Vue, and that's the memory issue.
Which I find I can create now on command and vice versa, cause it to NOT happen,
and it has something to do with changing the scale (size) of an object from within
an Eco-System in the materails editor for any certain object, like making grass smaller
and then trying to crank up the density or vice versa with this as well.

So I'm almost ready to place a report in pretty soon, as soon as I can narrow it down
better, as when I get these messages about running out of (what they call) resources,
or memory, I find I still have loads and loads of FREE memory available, so it's a bug
memory leak or something along those lines, IMO, but I'm not the programmer,
but a great bug recreator,or problem solver with narrowing things down to
what may be causing the problem at hand.

With all this said, I would STILL recommend getting this killer bit of software.
Makes life a lot easier as well as just good old fashion fun :)

....................md :)
P.S. And it's no where near, Bryce like.

Mike.H
07-23-2005, 12:01 PM
amen to that post mdunakin :)
Now im myself eagerly awaiting vue fusion, going to be fun to see how it behaves and what it gives us exactly.

See this thread for more information and if anyone is going to siggraph e.onīs going to be there.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=261081

Mahlon
07-23-2005, 03:41 PM
Yep, VUE fusion looks like it could be a big step forward for people like me who are hesitant about adding Vue into the pipeline. Some of the wording in the press release is confusing.

"Load and preview entire Vue environments in the Max or Maya interface"
"Compatible with Max's MentalRay™ and Maya Software and MentalRay renderers"
"Uses Vue's render engine for efficient processing of billion-polygon Vue environment"
"Edit Vue 5 Infinite environments directly from within Max or Maya (using the Vue interface*). *Requires a separate license of Vue 5 Infinite. Vue objects cannot be edited independently in Max/Maya without prior export from Vue"

I wonder if it's compatible with scanline renderer. And would Vue's renderer handle all the objects from Vue, and max renderer handle the rest somehow?

Anyway, we'll have to wait for SIGGRAPH to see, I suppose. Vue does look awesome and if it turns out 'fusion' is workable, I will certainly purchase a license of Vue. I'd think that is very much worth it.

Mahlon Bouldin

Mono Jojoy
07-25-2005, 02:32 AM
I've had Vue5I for a little over a week now and totally love it and feel it's worth the price.

I wouldn't even thik of asking for my money back.
Yes, I DO have freeze up problems, but I'm not just complainning about them,
but rather asking others here if they have heard of or know of what may be
causing these porblems.
So far not much has helped, BUT!, this isn't stopping me, as I want to figure
out exactly WHY it does what it does and am slowly but surely getting closer
to finding and pin pointing the problem and how to recreate it also.
This way I can send in a report to e-on and let them know about this, as I find
that (keyword here) "proper" bug reporting DOES get things fixed down the road..I have tried to find out why Vue can be stable but it can also be very unstable.
Seems even e-onsoftware doesnt know why that is.
At least they could not help me.
The question is: why take a risk and have a program which is expensive and potentially unstable and you just dont know in advance if you will evr be able to smoothly make designs/movies with it.

dueyftw
07-25-2005, 12:50 PM
I have Vue 4.2 d’Esprit for a year and 5I now for a few days. All programs work fine when they only have a few simple objects. It’s when you start to over load them, you find if they are worth anything. 4 .2 will slow down to the point that I was waiting 2 to 3 minutes between mouse clicks. If you overload 5I it will run out of memory and shut down. This is a major pain in the ass; make 10 trees and duplicate them so you have 20 then duplicate them again so you have 40 and so on. At some point you will run out memory in any program. With d’Esprit the program takes longer to respond, to the point that it’s unusable. With 5I it gives a out of memory error and saves your work. Personally I would rather it applied one undo and wait 5 seconds to see if there is enough memory to continue. But if the program is using a trap that is catching a memory leak than this will not work.

Another thing is scene reduction. I would love to have a button that removed everything that is not in the camera view. Removing anything that is really not need for the shot helps in getting the rendering done; this makes a big difference in Vue.

Currently rendering on network isn’t working. 5I is a memory hog and I’m going to boost my 512 machine to 2 gig’s an see if this will help with over all performance, including network rendering. The HyperVue so far has been a big disappointment.

Dale

mdunakin
07-25-2005, 07:01 PM
2 gigs will help, but thats what I have, and I still run into these problems with the out of memory bit.
But, I've been finding ways to work around it, in some cases that is, and usually I get
a popup message FIRST that ask me if I want to populate or not, as it tells me I may? run
out of memory or resources if I proceed. So, at least that gives me the chance to make
some ajustments before I populate anything. Of course, this is when i'm working in the
Eco-System and not doing Duplicatings. And I've also noticed that things will depend on
whether I shrink certain items too much while also increasing the density of same.
And then other times, I get that memory message, when I don't even have a million
polies, and other times, I can have over 54 Billion! with no troubles at all!
And I have tested LOTS of times, different camera views, such as closer, meaning
less polies are in view and farther away, more polies in view and that doesn't seem to
make a difference in most cases, but in some it does. Solid objects work best, though
I've had problems with just shrinking the size and increasing the density of rocks, while
things like grass items, that use more transperancy maps, cause the most problems,
which I would expect to be the case anyway. There "does" seem to be a method to
the maddness in how you deal with your setups though, but I'm still not quite there
yet to know exactly which method works best, but I am getting closer.

Now the bit of duplicating trees, that's going to happen in any program, like LW
or whatever, since you are NOT creating Instances, but actual geomytry.

As far as the removing items that aren't being seen by the camera to help with memory
and rendering times, I thought they already had a setting that you could use that does just that?
I'll have to see if I can find where I seen that?
But I don't know if it'll really work for this or not?
But I recall looking for such a thing just the other day.
I think I found something like, render only active layers or only what's in view or something,
as they had a couple of few options for that, but like I say, I can't even recall where I found that at?

If I find it, I'll let ya know though :)
And yes, hopefully, they'll get the memory issue fixed soon, but a good recreatable bug
report will help enormously with matters like this, and so far I can't do it every time.

...............md :)

videodv
07-25-2005, 07:47 PM
Hideing stuff from render/viewport, its all to do with layers. If you put your items/meshes into seperate layers you can turn them on and off.

videodv.

swampthing
07-25-2005, 08:41 PM
im going to take side with the "e.on agent" wabe here :) , just kidding of course.

Thing is Swampthing, yes we all know that some do have issues with vue (just like some have issues with winxp and others dont), and no people that report about bugīs dont get called warez userīs, iīve reported my fair share of bugs in the past, wabe has and i know quite alot of other users to, and none of us are being labelled as using a cracked version.

The difference tho is that calling an application useless or worthless and stating that itīs a piece of shit wont help anyone, reporting a bug in a proper way will help eon make a better software and give us the users a better software.

Now, according to e.on the cracked version are unstable, im believing this because itīs not unique, i know of several other software developers that manages to boork up cracked versions one way or another, which of course is an ongoing battle going back and forth between patches and versions, but itīs not unique.

Another reason some people will be pointed out as using a cracked version is that itīs a relativly small community around e.on and vue so somethings do stick out.

In the end tho, it realy is a moot discussion, there are issues left in the app but itīs also working realy smooth for alot of users (including myself and trust me i had alot of issues earlier on in vue5īs lifespan aswell) but thereīs always things that can be improved upon but vue3 and vue4 is realy a dead horse, thereīs no updates coming out for those versions, so if you have vue5 update it and if you encounter a bug file a proper bug report thatīs the way to help out and feel confident that any issues will get corrected.

Nowhere did i say the app was worthless and a piece of crap. In fact if you re-read i said it was probably the best landscape generator out there right now. But in spite of that I STILL could not recommend it to ANYONE due to the massive potential stability problems.

Like i said the only reason i even brought up the cracked issue was becuase i've seen that happen SOOOOOOOOOO many times where as soon as someone says it's unstable he gets royally jumped on. Didn't say it happened here, just wanted to address that first. I still don't buy the argument, the older versions yeah i can beleive because if i remember right they required a special EXE, but the newer ones are just serials.

I don't have vue infinite, and haven't owned vue since version 4 which I sold to a friend as i was tired of the crashing. I keep an eye on the app because i think it's a functional app and is capable of producing probably the best landscapes for a decent amount of money. If they could improve stability by like 50% i'd buy it again. I think people considering it, need to be aware there is a very real issue with the program and it's ability to NOT crash. I think having an app that's this unstable in a industry where 5 mins of changes could be something major and very hard to reproduce is pretty much unforgivable though. 3dsmax comes to mind for that matter and is the reason i won't use that app either.

dueyftw
07-26-2005, 03:05 AM
Hidden in layers is not the same as removing it from a scene. When rendering you have the choice of rendering everything or what is still visible. Saving a scene then removing all the clutter out of the camera’s view frees up memory that now can be used for the rendering engine use. If it is using windows swap paging, (can tell by how hard the hard drive is working) the free memory should improve the rendering times. A 5% decrease in rendering times starts to be a big deal when you are rendering hundreds of large frames.

How does LW handle the tree thing? What does the program do when there just isn’t enough memory to continue? Does it slow down, stop and try to save, or does it crash and burn and you lose everything.

Dale

videodv
07-26-2005, 03:59 AM
Hidden in layers is not the same as removing it from a scene. When rendering you have the choice of rendering everything or what is still visible. Saving a scene then removing all the clutter out of the camera’s view frees up memory that now can be used for the rendering engine use. If it is using windows swap paging, (can tell by how hard the hard drive is working) the free memory should improve the rendering times. A 5% decrease in rendering times starts to be a big deal when you are rendering hundreds of large frames.

How does LW handle the tree thing? What does the program do when there just isn’t enough memory to continue? Does it slow down, stop and try to save, or does it crash and burn and you lose everything.

Dale

Not sure if I understand what you are saying here dale, if you hide something in a layer you will not see it in the viewport or in the render or with the camera, so the render time of the scene is faster, is this not what you are after!

you can of course render different layers and compostite if you wish to speed up rendering this way.

I will try and see if I can get Inifite to crash and see if it saves the scene before it goes or not.

videodv.

Wabe
07-26-2005, 07:27 AM
videodv - you have to try to make Infinite crash? I thought i learned here that it is crashing all the time??
What i find very funny here is that especially yesterday i spoke to a friend who said that 3dsmax is extremely stable. Now i read that it is another of these all the time crashers. Confusing.

When I (and i think i can say that for Mike as well) mention the anti-pirate thing in the context of crashes it does not mean that the guy having the trouble has a cracked version (ok, sometimes maybe that is the case). My intention normally is to say that this anti-pirate defender maybe goes wrong and crashes even in legal copies.

But more important, i repeat what i said. Look for differences between crashing systems and non-crashing ones. I am sure there are such differences. A support guy once said to me "95% of the problems sit in front of the monitor". I will never forget that. AND THAT DOES NOT MEAN I BLAME ANYBODY HERE. IT DOES NOT MEAN THAT! But there is some truth in it. Ok, to avoid wars, it has some truth in my case.

videodv
07-26-2005, 07:53 AM
I have been using all versions of vue since version 3 and so far I have only had 3 crashes with any of them, just one of the lucky ones ( crossing fingers here) I think.

edited say to only 3 crashes in total over all versions of vue.

I was also unable to get it to crash trying out the above test no matter what I did.

I only hope this continues what with fussion comeing up.

videodv.

dueyftw
07-26-2005, 09:36 AM
What I am saying is if you completely remove something from a scene, the polygon numbers become smaller in the bottom corner, then you have freed up memory. Hiding something doesn’t do this.

An example; I have a city that is 36 blocks. I don’t need all 36. To get the pan down the street I only need 12, six on each side. Removing all the clutter can save memory and speed up the rendering times.

How a program reacts to over loading is important. In 3d we are always thinking if I could only put this into the scene, knowing that the app most likely not handle it, but as humans we do it anyway.

Dale

CGTalk Moderation
07-26-2005, 09:36 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.