PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy RAM or A Graphic Card ? (MAYA Related)

RealityCheck
07-19-2005, 10:50 AM
Hi all,
i started to work hard on MAYA Learning Edition, my specs are :
2.4 GhZ
512 RAM
P4P800SE
GEForce 9200

I can create new scenes, work on them for hours and use my camera to fly around the objects with no problems. (The objects are little things from the tutorials, and i also have mozilla firefox open to read the tutorials while working in MAYA)
BUT, when i open a scene i've done like 2 days ago or 2 hours ago, the scene opens fine, and then at my first camera move aroud the object, my computer freezes, or my screen goes dark and don't recognize any audio input..?
I then have to restart (reboot?) the CPU to start again.

As i'm new to MAYA, i tried to see where it could come from, but i couldn't find any valuable info about the software aspect. So i thought maybe my specs were too low.

What do you think about it, and do you think it's a RAM or VideoCard problem ?
(By the way i don't think my 2X512 RAM are of the same manufacturer... Maybe it can cause problems ?..)

Thanks mucho in advance for your responses !

bloodw
07-19-2005, 10:54 AM
hey, I think you should get more ram. As for the 2 other sticks of ram not being the same manufacturer, it should not be a problem.

cpan
07-19-2005, 11:16 AM
GEForce 9200

maybe Ati 9200 right?

this is your problem... not the RAM. This card has an very, very poor opengl. As for the RAM... wel i have 512 and i had no crashes yet in 1 year... i also worked in maya on 256 ram lol and it worked pretty good but i had pretty much crashes.

get an nvidia card... don't even think about ATI when working with opengl ( maya ). So get an GF6600 or 6800 and you'll see the difference

xsenos
07-19-2005, 01:22 PM
get an nvidia card... don't even think about ATI when working with opengl ( maya ). So get an GF6600 or 6800 and you'll see the difference
May I just quote the Maya VGA qualification list:

Nvidia GeForce256, GeForce2, GeForce3, GeForce4 series
There are many cards based on GeForce256, GeForce2, GeForce3 and GeForce4 chipsets. Nvidia and Alias do not recommend these cards for use with Maya as you may experience various refresh, display and stability problems and inadequate performance.
We suggest you choose from Nvidia's workstation cards instead, such as the Quadro families which are much better suited to high-end 3D packages such as Maya.

>> Link. (http://www.alias.com/eng/support/maya/qualified_hardware/QUAL/maya_65_win.html) <<

lots
07-19-2005, 02:56 PM
What they dont tell you *points up* is that the Workstation cards from Nvidia are nearly identical in hardware as the gaming cards. The main difference comes from the drivers. That being said, I have never once had an issue with any nvidia gaming card and professional 3D apps.

cpan
07-19-2005, 02:57 PM
and what do you suggest? a 1000$ quadro? that card doesn't worth the money... it's slow and anyway most of the maya users over here on cgtalk use geforce cards without having any problems with maya.

use geforce card and only if you have money that you don't know what to do with get a quadro. At least this is my POW.

RealityCheck
07-19-2005, 03:47 PM
Thanks a lot for your inputs.
///EDIT : My Card is a Radeon 9200 128Mo////
Please do not start a contest Quadro VS GEforce, i've read many threads on this subject, i will choose for my -beginner- self.

My budget is really a little one, would you suggest Cards that would stand my beginners' needs, like a good one from last year or so ? I can plan for a 50 > 100 $ buy.
If not, could you tell me what i should check on their specs to be sure it will be good ? Sorry but i don't know anything about OpenGl...

Also, i've read about the softmodded Geforce Cards (becoming Quadrolikes) doing well with MAYA, could this be a safe option ?

Thanks a lot again, MAYA is such a wonderful software !

lots
07-19-2005, 04:14 PM
If you really are a beginner in Maya, or any 3D app for that, you will not utilize the full feature set that a workstation card (Quadro) brings to the table. It would be a waste of money. Insted, focus more on learning the software and save some cash for when you REALLY need that "killer" rig.

Personally a Geforce 6600GT should fit your budget more closely than the quadro, thus I recommend going for it.

Besides, you will probably end up worrying more about the CPU and RAM of your system in the future than you will be the video card.

RealityCheck
07-19-2005, 04:23 PM
Thanks again,
i saw 3 different cards, cheaper than the 6600 GT, for which i can have a reduced price :

- Radeon 9600 Pro - 256Mo,
- XFX GeForce FX5500 - 256Mo,
- GeForce FX5700 LE - 256Mo.

Which one do you think i should buy ? And does PCI Express and AGP 8X have a difference for the port to choose ?

After that i think i will be able to say thank you and leave for the store, no more noob question :-)

lots
07-19-2005, 04:49 PM
Well I would stick with nvidia. Maybe you can ask around to see how performance is with those two nvidia cards you have listed and maya.

Also your computer will only support AGP or PCIe. Judging by the age, I am going to assume you have AGP. So that will limit your choices to the AGP cards.

TETRAGRAMMATON
07-19-2005, 05:20 PM

Yes Nvida is the best for OpenGL then if the video card has 256-512MB Graphic RAm too system Ram is less important.

TETRAGRAMMATON
07-19-2005, 05:27 PM
Thanks again,
i saw 3 different cards, cheaper than the 6600 GT, for which i can have a reduced price :

- Radeon 9600 Pro - 256Mo,
- XFX GeForce FX5500 - 256Mo,
- GeForce FX5700 LE - 256Mo.

Geforce FX5700 LE is better.

motoxpress
07-19-2005, 07:46 PM
What these guys are telling you is correct info: Go nvidia and the best you can get. However, just realize that you are on the edge of the minimum amount of ram for a computer running XP. I would seriously consider getting that upgraded as well. 512 is fine for XP and standard word processing but intense 3D apps like Maya really eat up the resources.

gl

cpan
07-19-2005, 08:28 PM
instead of the 5700LE card i'd get for the same price -99.9$- a geforce 6600 non GT. In fact that's the card i use (the Asus N6600) and it's pretty good for both maya and games. It can handle decently 1mil polys (5-10fps :) ) and it's faster than the 5700LE.

-cpan

TETRAGRAMMATON
07-20-2005, 02:54 PM
instead of the 5700LE card i'd get for the same price -99.9$- a geforce 6600 non GT. In fact that's the card i use (the Asus N6600) and it's pretty good for both maya and games. It can handle decently 1mil polys (5-10fps :) ) and it's faster than the 5700LE.

-cpan

You've reason,in fact geforce 6600 has twice geforce 5700 pipeline.8pipe VS 4pipe.

SweetDreamz
07-20-2005, 07:53 PM
If you're gonna go the cheap route, might as well go cheaper and go on eBay. They have some 5900 below $90 if you bid right. The next jump after that would be 6600GT or vanilla if you want. Your choice.

xsenos
07-22-2005, 09:55 PM
Perhaps a noob question, does pipeline count actually matter any much for non real-time rendering? For some reason I had the impression it's not that important.

lots
07-22-2005, 10:58 PM
It makes quite a bit of difference. Take a look at the Geforce 6800GT vs the 6600GT. The 6800 has 16 pipes where the 6600 has 8. In most cases, the 6800GT will perform better than two 6600GTs in SLI, at least in video games. Also, from various posts on this forum, I get the impression that this also translates to performance on 3D apps as well.

Also take a look at the 7800GTX vs the 6800Ultra. The GTX has 24 pipes vs the Ultra's 16. Again, you see an almost double performance increase (but this time not totally because of pipelines, but GPU speed and a host of tweaks to the GPU core). Again this is based on gaming benchmarks.

But you can see an increase in pipelines does indeed improve performance, if the application you are using takes advantage of them.

xsenos
07-23-2005, 04:47 PM
What exactly is the purpose of pipelines? Allowing the given API to run multiple pixel shaders at a time? If so, then it's pretty clear to me how pipelines would help OpenGL and other real-time APIs to speed up real-time rendering. But when it comes to Maya/Mental ray etc. does it have any near the same effect? The net is full of game related information but it's not that easy to find out what use of pipelines is there when it comes to photorealistic-quality image rendering where accuracy is more important than speed.

I guess, what I mean is -- if I don't spend any time playing heavy 3D games but need a graphic card mainly for single frame Maya renders, am I not wasting my money on something I wont have a real use of when choosing a graphic card with more pipelines and should I not rather look after one with other qualities?

Am I splitting hair here? :)

CGTalk Moderation
07-23-2005, 04:47 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.