PDA

View Full Version : 7800GTX SLI vs. Quadro 4400

chessmasterscds
07-19-2005, 08:17 AM
Hey, what would you think will be better for me? I use a lot of 3D max for modeling and animation, photoshop, and play hardcore 3D cames also. my current system is this:

Dual Xeon 3.2Ghz
4Gb RAM
6600GT

I'm buying a new mobo and new video card(s)... but what should I buy... 2xBFG 7800GTX OC on SLI mode... or a single Quadro 4400?? Thanks...

chessmasterscds
07-20-2005, 04:44 AM
Nobody??... nobody knows???... I have only seen comparisons between 7800's and quadros 3400, that's why I'm asking about a comparison between 7800's and 4400's....

maelstrom
07-20-2005, 08:04 AM
SLI mode has to be supported by software, which at this point means a few selected games.

It's unlikely SLI will ever be useful for Max/Maya/XSI - so if you have the cash, go with the 4400. It's supposed to be an OpenGL beast.

TETRAGRAMMATON
07-20-2005, 01:40 PM
I would choose SLI geffo7800GTX that if you want,of course you'll can mod.
Quadro 4400 is a bomb but i think is based on a previous GPU achitecture.The same of geffo 6800.

mlmiller1983
07-20-2005, 02:26 PM
I'm holding out until Nvidia makes a Quadro card based on the 7800 series. It really depends on the application you are using. Maya, probably be better off with a Quadro card, if you say were using Lightwave or Cinema 4D a gaming card would do just fine. Though to be fair many have said Maya works great on high end gaming cards but I myself have never tried it.

Krimble2000
07-20-2005, 02:55 PM
Well what I know is that you can not play games with the quadro cards, they are not build for that, on the other hand the quadro cards are extremely good for the 3d content making world.

The GF 7800 series are made for games, that's the main thing what they have to to. Also the card works well in 3d apps, the card is far more allround then the quardo series.

The quardo is more for the highend 3d work, I don't know if you are doing that kind of stuff?
The gf 7800 series are more an allround card.

Personaly I would choose 1 or 2 (don't have any experience on SLI) SLI BFG 7800GTX OC.

Ckerr812
07-20-2005, 03:06 PM
The 7800 was built with the Quadro line of cards in mind. There are a lot of improvements that you will see when the new Quadro card based on 7800 card is introduced at Siggraph (speculation is at siggraph).

Pure open GL applications benefit from Quadro cards the best, such as maya, XSI, were as other apps like Cinema 4d and Lightwave won't.

So it depends what your doing, if your just playing around and just modeling and not doing to much that streeses a vid card the geforce would be a better choice.

If you want to play games hardcore, and use DCC apps professionally, then get two computers rather then trying to make a hybrid.

mlmiller1983
07-20-2005, 03:35 PM
The 7800 was built with the Quadro line of cards in mind. There are a lot of improvements that you will see when the new Quadro card based on 7800 card is introduced at Siggraph (speculation is at siggraph).

Pure open GL applications benefit from Quadro cards the best, such as maya, XSI, were as other apps like Cinema 4d and Lightwave won't.

So it depends what your doing, if your just playing around and just modeling and not doing to much that streeses a vid card the geforce would be a better choice.

If you want to play games hardcore, and use DCC apps professionally, then get two computers rather then trying to make a hybrid.

Thats my plan. Both pcs would be AMD X2s on ASUS K8N-SLI Dlx motherboards. One for gaming and one for DCC and when I needed to distributed rendering with both.

lots
07-20-2005, 03:51 PM
Well what I know is that you can not play games with the quadro cards, they are not build for that, on the other hand the quadro cards are extremely good for the 3d content making world.
Well not really. Remember in most cases quadros differ very slightly in thier hardware than thier lower cost gamer cousins. A bulk of the difference comes from the fact that the drivers have been optimized to perform well in specific applications. These tweaks to grab performance in application x, sometimes have unwanted results in games (slightly reduced performance usually). Sufice it to say though, a quadro would work just fine for gaming. It wont be top dog, but it will work really well.

Thats a silly statement :P. I am sure Lightwave and Cinema are "purely" OpenGL as well. The trick is, they probably have pretty poor implimentations of the technology (at least in the case of Lightwave I can say that.. Never used Cinema4D)

I use a 6800GT and a Ti4600 on my two machines. I use both XSI and Lightwave and I have had no issues at all. Performance is great. And having it all on one system is so much cheaper and more convenient. Though a machine with hardware dedicated to Pro DCC apps will be able to play video games at respectable frame rates on its own. No need to have two machines, especially when any big DCC machine out there can definately play games well.

At least if its got an Nvidia/ATI based Pro card.. I'm fairly sure the 3DLabs cards dont really do too well with DirectX :)

Ckerr812
07-20-2005, 04:41 PM
The trick is, they probably have pretty poor implimentations of the technology (at least in the case of Lightwave I can say that..

Then tell me, why does Doom 3 an open GL game play better on a Geforce 6800 then on a Quadro 4400? Why do people who softmod their 6800 to Quadro's notice a huge speed boost in maya and xsi...

When you answer that question...then you will know what I mean.

lots
07-20-2005, 07:07 PM
Then tell me, why does Doom 3 an open GL game play better on a Geforce 6800 then on a Quadro 4400? Why do people who softmod their 6800 to Quadro's notice a huge speed boost in maya and xsi...

When you answer that question...then you will know what I mean.
What are you talking about? All I said was that lightwave and cinema are both openGL. In the case of lightwave the OpenGL implimentation is pretty poor, and takes no advantage of the features a quadro offers.

mlmiller1983
07-20-2005, 07:10 PM
In the case of lightwave the OpenGL implimentation is pretty poor, and takes no advantage of the features a quadro offers.

So very true. LW openGL implimentation is not as good as say Maya or XSI's but I hope that changes in the future. You won't notice any difference in performance from a Quadro card or Gaming card in LW.

CadMnky
07-20-2005, 08:24 PM
What about 3dsMax? I know you couldn't get the Maxtream drivers but would a 7800gtx be OK?

CadMnky

joconnell
07-21-2005, 08:58 AM
Try a geforce 6800 gt in direct 3d mode in max 7 - it ****ing flies. We've had scenes with around 4 - 6 million polygons in shaded mode and you can fly around at 22 frames per second - not as good in wireframe but very quick none the less...

LittleFish
07-21-2005, 06:39 PM
Well, you said yourself that you are a hardcore gamer -- the Quadro cards were not intended for that, they're OpenGL, only for CAD programs pretty much. A 7800GTX SLI setup will run any games on the highest settings at an incredible FPS. And if you're just starting at Brooks, there's no way you'll need a Quadro card for high poly scenes (besides, worst case you could just softmod the 7800 cards when the driver/softmod tools become available).

Go with the 7800 SLI -- you won't use a Quadro, and given that you are not doing anything commercial right now (or probably for awhile), any extra power for hi poly scenes would be lost. For you -- 7800. (Or wait an excruciatingly long time until the significantly better ATI RSX250 card becomes available, nobody knows when though, so don't.) Your 3ds max, PS, and all that will be so fast you won't notice. (BTW, Quadro cards are for viewport rendering with OpenGL.)

alvin777
07-21-2005, 10:18 PM
Hi, it'd be best since you can afford it to buy the proper card designed for 3D because workstation cards render things properly on hardware as they have more effects/features than gaming cards. If you could, get a 3DLabs card.

Btw, does anyone know a workaround to make the drivers of the Quadro work for the Geforce6 to turn it into a sort of workstation card? If that's not possible, does anyone know a setting for RivaTuner?

God bless,
Alvin

CGTalk Moderation
07-21-2005, 10:18 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.