PDA

View Full Version : MEL fundamentals question

housewarmer
07-19-2005, 07:37 AM
I'm trying to get more sophisticated with my MEL based tool/workflow creation. I don't know MEL, or coding in general, all that well and I'm looking for some good resources for learning fairly basic stuff. For example, info dealing with identifying selections (faces vs. verts, etc.) and then performing an action dependant on that. The docs have a great list of commands and attributes but there seems to be a lot of terminology not covered. Any help would be appreciated.

MSB
07-19-2005, 08:49 AM
there's a book from alias called mel fundamentals get it and read it THEN think about doing the basic stuff :) and don't said oh i need only to learn this..this is not correct you will need alot of stuff to write simple procedure sometimes so focus on learning it in general way then think of focusing..

good luck

westiemad
07-19-2005, 10:02 AM
i made some videos that run over MEL, they are floating about the web at the moment.

http://cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=167244&highlight=video+mel

Bens on hols at the moment, but if its desperate I can try and upload them to you.

housewarmer
07-19-2005, 12:10 PM
there's a book from alias called mel fundamentals get it and read it THEN think about doing the basic stuff :) and don't said oh i need only to learn this..this is not correct you will need alot of stuff to write simple procedure sometimes so focus on learning it in general way then think of focusing..

good luck

I don't think I ever said ONLY anything...I was giving an example of the type of info I'm looking for. Thanks for the tip about the book. I've taken a look at it before but I'm a dirt broke student at the moment & can't justify the sixty odd bucks.

zhang
07-21-2005, 10:35 AM
Here is some MEL resources for free.

http://zjprogramming.com/html/mel_recipe.html

CGTalk Moderation
07-21-2005, 10:35 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.