PDA

View Full Version : How important IS the brush?

PerfectBlue
07-19-2005, 06:37 AM
I love to draw, and since i was little you could give me a 2H pencil and paper and i will go to work like nuts. Give me a marker... and i want the pencil. The same seems to happen to me when I draw digitally, but i find that i cant create the perfect brush! I find that one application makes a brush that's almost perfect, but there are a few things wrong that only another application can fix, but the second loses so many great things the 1st had!

I often just scribble to death in alias sketch with the 2H pencil, same as i do on real paper because of my frustration...

So i guess my question to all of you is; how important is that special brush to you? The 'perfect brush' is different for all of us, but do you think you could work without it? or without your special 'set' of brushes? How good would the quality be compared to what you produce now?

JohNLA
07-21-2005, 02:29 AM
I hope I am never forced to use the same medium or style. I like to explore everything. Sure I have my fav's (cough, 3DS) but I love drawing and sculpting with all kinds of materials. Although, I must admit the computer has spoiled me with the undo button.

jmBoekestein
07-21-2005, 12:11 PM
ok, this is the third time I see this sorta question in about 24 hours.

I just finished something I'm kind of proud of, and, well... I just grabbed the first acrylic in line in p[ainter and started. Didn'tt really giv eit much thought, I guess if I needed specific effects for details or speed, it would matter. But I wouldn't really know actually.

DrFx
07-21-2005, 12:37 PM
I have a question, too: Are there shortcuts you can define for your favourite brushes? When I'm using real media, I tend to always use about 5 "favourite" tools, and switching between them is just a matter of picking them up, not searching up a menu. It would be nice to do this fast in Pshop!

kaylon
07-21-2005, 12:55 PM
Save your brush as a "preset tool" and have the preset menu open as a tool bar..or just use the drop down on the top left .. once a preset is saved it's always there ...quick and easy. Can also move the preset tool around from system to system just like a brush file.

The preset tool saves all settngs...brush type and everything.

K.

DrFx
07-25-2005, 09:47 AM
Many thanks, Kaylon. I'll try it out now!

LoTekK
07-25-2005, 12:19 PM
Speaking of the presets, are there any hotkeys for cycling through them, similar to < and > (or , and .) cycling back and forth through your saved brushes?

CGTalk Moderation
07-25-2005, 12:19 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.