PDA

View Full Version : I know, stupid question....but?

mdunakin
07-19-2005, 01:10 AM
Can some kind soul point me to the chapter on adjusting eco-stsems to be at a certain
level ABOVE the bottom of a hill, in otherwords, I want more plants near the upper part
of the hill, and no plants near the bottom edge, as in, I don't want any plants going into
the water?
I know I can search for and have been,,,, sort of,,, mostly using the help file thingy,,,,
but, I am not to sure what terms they call something like this, as I've tried and tried
to adjust these things in the material panel, and never see any way to do what I want?
I just want the have the plant life get less and less, or maybe smaller and smaller the
closer it gets to the shore line.

Just a point in the right direction should be enough.
I've been busy with other programs and don't always have
the time to get to go all the way through the manual.
And yes, I know, this is me probably being a bit lame :)

So, I will understand if no one wants to help me
with something that's somewehre in the manual.

Anyway, I guess I need to start getting into the more complicated areas of the program
now, so I'll know how to do such things, what seem like they should be easy to do.

Thanx, and I wished I had all day everyday to spend more time learning,
but I have several projects going, both with software and other things.

So, that's my best excuse LOL

Thanx..........................................................md :)

Wabe
07-19-2005, 07:39 AM
No excuses for questions like that... necessary i would say.

You have several ways to do what you want to.

#1, use a function for density - and there maybe a bitmap. Maybe even the terrain bitmap that you have exported from the terrain editor.

#2 mix the ecosystem with another material - Ecosystem as well or other and make that mixture dependant from altitude for example.

I am sure there are other ways, but these are the easyest in my eyes.

mdunakin
07-19-2005, 06:21 PM
Yeah, I was thinking that I'm going to need a function, but unfortunately,
that'll take me a while longer to learn then some other things, as
I don't have much time at the moment to learn that stuff yet.
but of course, I will and I'm pretty sure that thats going to
be the choice thats needed to solve this problem.
I was "trying" to find a sample in the samples they give you that would deal with this,
but I was unable to and would of liked to, so I could examine how THEY did it?

The mapping thing ought to work also, though that seems like there is less control when
it comes to just playin around and "testing", because you have to have the maps alreaday
made, and most of the time when I'm experimenting, I'm not planning very much :)

and thanx for the tips also...............md :)

Rids
07-19-2005, 07:04 PM
you can use the "decay near foreign objects" setting under the density tab, just drop the value to 1 or 2 and it should keep your veggies away from the water.

mdunakin
07-19-2005, 07:43 PM
Thanx Rids, but doesn't this mean that I then have to have some sort of specially built water?
What I mean is, I can't just use a flat plane as water, like you would normally do,
as this cuts right through the mountains and terrains instead of being seperate
objects that are "laying" on the "surface" of a terrain hill side or something, right?
So it wouldn't know, or would it?
Cuz I have thought of this idea, but thought it wouldn't work because of the fact
that a plane object, such as water, wouldn't be the same as something like that
sample tutorial they show with placing a boudler on the ground and then
adjusting the grass around it, because a plane has no volume to it.
But hey, I'll give it a try, as it sure can't hurt to test it out.

.................md :)

Silverblade-T-E
07-20-2005, 09:20 AM
Several ways to do that have been posted on the Renderosity forums.

As wabe said, plus:

1) Decay near foreign object..place items that are Hidden From Renderer, these can allow precise placement by forcing ecos nto to grow where oyu wish.

2) You can use altitude to drive ecosystems, needs tweaking on your part to get right settings, haven't put this tutorial on my site yet, but it was poste don renderosity.

Usually, using an image map is the best way to get precise placememnt. Open terian editor for oyur terrian, COPY the terrian, paste into a 2d app, modify the greyscale image to suit your density or placement desires, save image as jpg. then use that to drive the ecosystem. Again tutorial for this wa son 'Rosity.
Sigh more I need to add to my site I guess :>

CGTalk Moderation
07-20-2005, 09:20 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.