PDA

View Full Version : OT: Dell 20inch or 24 inch monitor??

mbw
07-18-2005, 07:57 PM
Hi everyone,
Just wondering if anyone has any experience with the Dell 20 or 24 inch
widescreen LCD monitors? I need to purchase another monitor(unfortunately,
not as a second monitor, but a replacment) and saw that Dell had some
good prices.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Mark

Venkman
07-18-2005, 08:10 PM
I hear good things about Dell's 20 inch, especially the widescreen. My brother recently got the 20 inch 3:4 ratio and he couldn't be happier, considering it was only $450.

Most of the ultrasharp line are pretty good, IMO. I am pleased with my two Dell 17 ultrasharps. The ultrasharp line can switch between inputs, which is nice if you have multiple computers. I have a DVI going from the monitor to my mac, and a VGA going from the same monitor to a dreamcast with a VGA box. Very nice. When I get a PC I'll throw it onto one of my free VGA ports on my monitors. No need for an external switcher.

there are of course better monitors out there, but if you are limited budget like me, it can't be beat!

mbw
07-18-2005, 10:48 PM
Glad to hear that the 20 inch works well. I've been wondering about it for awhile,
but wasn't sure if Dell could do a good monitor. Didn't know that there was more
than one input on it, this may come in handy as there are always more machines
to hook up. I'd like to get the 24 inch, but as far as cash goes, the 20 inch will
probably be the one.

Thanks for the help.

Mark

imashination
07-18-2005, 11:33 PM
Im waiting for 2x 24" inchers to arrive, ill let you know how I get on.

rodney71
07-18-2005, 11:57 PM
I'm using the Dell 20.1 inch wide aspect LCD monitor and just love it. it's very sharp, so much brigther than my last 21 inch CRT monitor. no problems recommending it, especially for the price. My research told me that it is the same LCD panel used in the Apple Cinema display (from the same manufacturer). Different technology and specs were added by each company to the same raw material, as I understand it.

Triker
07-18-2005, 11:57 PM
I have a 20" running on another Mac in my office and it is a really bright, nice monitor for the price, but not color accurate enough for pro use.

mbw
07-19-2005, 12:06 AM
Im waiting for 2x 24" inchers to arrive, ill let you know how I get on.

I'm drooling now... :-) Yes please let me know!

Mark

sphere
07-19-2005, 12:12 AM
I've got the Dell 24 inch lcd and it's been fantastic. I'm sure you won't be disappointed if you purchase this monitor. It's an exceptional price for what you get. So many inputs, including usb and memory cards. Response is great and so much space! Well worth it!

Daoine
07-19-2005, 12:32 AM
Don't get me wrong, I love Dell probobly more than most. If I get a pc or monitor from here on out, it's gonna be a dell; you just get more bang for your buck, and they're always running a sale of some sort. If you can put the thing on DVI... DO IT. The price of DVI cables has dropped a ton (I payed $125 for a 12' DVI cable 4 months ago, now I could get the same one for about $50, and I really only needed a 6' cable.).

Basically, get a DVI capable Dell, mine isn't DVI cabable and I can tell the difference between the dell and my DVI capable viewsonic.

But the dell is great, it's my main monitor, as my viewsonic is my TV.

Good luck and buy me one too:D

Daoine

duderender
07-19-2005, 12:38 AM
I have the 24" WS LCD from Dell. The quality seems good, but it has issues dealing with close high contrasting pixels. You can notice this the most when trying to use clear-type font display or large areas of black produces a 'sheen' of sorts. Hard to describe.

However, its not hugely detracting but I compare it to my 21.3" Samsung and their is a big visible quality difference in favour of the Samsung. So if you don't run it by a Samsung you won't notice a difference ;)

24" WS is much more worthwhile over the 20" and if that is a consideration get the 20" regular aspect instead of 20" WS. The 24" WS is physically slightly taller than the 20" regular aspect screen where as the 20" WS is shorter than the 20" regular aspect.

mbw
07-19-2005, 12:47 AM
Thanks everyone for the comments. It seems that the 24inch WS is the
monitor of choice... Dang... My eyes will love it, but my wallet won't... :sad:

Oh well, another few weeks of eating "Top Ramen" for dinner.

Thanks everyone.

Mark

Venkman
07-19-2005, 01:47 AM
Make sure to check sites like this:

http://www.gotapex.com

They constantly have deals going on for Dell. I got two 17's about 5 months back for about $220 each. Can't beat that screen real estate. I threw it on my G5 with a dual DVI video card and these babies shine.

Also, Ultrasharps come with DVI, VGA, and USB 2 cables (they have 4 USB 2.0 ports built in- nice).

Bottom line- never, EVER pay full price at Dell. They will go on sale in 2 weeks if they aren't on that site already.

jscott
07-19-2005, 02:11 AM
Holy crap. Dell 24" Widescreen LCD! 2405FPW is $779.35 Shipped! Using 35% off coupon code.

Too bad I'm tapped out this month already.

-jscott

manlio
07-19-2005, 08:13 PM
Sorry for the OT, but anyone knows a website like gotapex for coupon codes valid in italy?

CGTalk Moderation
07-19-2005, 08:13 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.