PDA

View Full Version : quicker way to do this?

slipster70
07-18-2005, 08:03 PM
I have to build a ramp that follows 330 degrees of a circle, with one end at ground level and the other end 10' up in the air. Is there a quick way to move the points so that they are in a gradual slope? Or do I simply have to move them manually? Would applying a weight map to the points allow me to use a fall-off to move the points smoothly?

Thank you.

slipster70

Oh. Just tried the weight map as fall-off method. That worked nicely. Is there another way yet? Thanks.

assistant pimp
07-18-2005, 08:08 PM
Cant you use the disc tool to draw out your circle with the dimensions,(make it a flat disc). Then kill poly's. Delete the unecessary points, then select the points in order. Make a spline. Duplicate the spline the move it on lets say the x axis so they are spced apart but equal. Select the 2 top points make a spline. Select the bottom 2 make a spline. Now all you have to do is patch that spline set and you have the beginning of your ramp. Extender from there. Of course I am rather new so there may be a better way. But off the top of the head I would try it this way.

Just saw your update....I dont think I understood your question. Feel free to ignore my babbling.

tibes
07-19-2005, 01:59 AM
I'm not sure if I understand you correctly, but can't you just use the lathe tool with an offset?

blaqDeaph
07-19-2005, 03:33 AM
You can use Lathe with a fall off. First, create a rectangle that represents a cross section of the ramp, and then position it as far away from the origin as you like, then select the Lathe tool ([Shift]+[L]), then change the end angle to 330, and set offset to 10. If you want a smoother ramp you can increase the number of segments on the top (default is 24), or activate smoothing under the surface editor.

CGTalk Moderation
07-19-2005, 03:33 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.