PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook G4

Reed247
07-18-2005, 06:26 PM
I have a powerbook G4 which was great 2 year ago..but now I need to run
3-D is it still good for Maya or Lightwave?
I heard a lot of negative stuff about maya on the powerbook...
do I need to get a memory upgrade or what?

DreamingInDigital
07-18-2005, 06:29 PM
Apple's always made great Computers...to run maya or any 3-D app in this case always make sure you have as much RAM as u can cram in there and that the processor speed and grafix card are still alright...

Kai01W
07-18-2005, 06:36 PM
I have a powerbook G4 which was great 2 year ago..but now I need to run
3-D is it still good for Maya or Lightwave?
I heard a lot of negative stuff about maya on the powerbook...
do I need to get a memory upgrade or what?

No. No offence but concerning the situation for Maya on macs and the recent falling back of the powerbooks behind x386 mobile performance (which is the most important reason for apple to switch to intel): buy a PC laptop!
Maya does not run well on G5s. On a powerbook it will be terrible!

-k

Wintermute
07-19-2005, 04:32 AM
both posters ahead of me have valid points.

Maya will run on your powerbook. Ideally, max your ram--with or without Maya IMHO

Maya will run slowly, especially on one that's 2 years old. Only your preference on what is acceptable performance for you can make that call. Download and try the Maya PLE (personal learning edition) to see how it feels. There should be a demo version of lightwave available as well.

If you want to mess around with 3D for the sake of messing around, go ahead and try one of the open source 3D apps like blender or wings. It might be a good idea to wait for versions of Maya and Lightwave that run on the upcoming Macs that will use Intel processors.

just my 2, hope it helps.

:beer:

enygma
07-19-2005, 04:45 AM
on my 1.5GHz Powerbook, Maya runs decent. Far from what I'm used to with most PCs I've ever owned. The processor kinda chugs with some of my scripts and rendering isn't too quick either. What do you expect from a 1.5GHz G4 processor... :D Either way, it makes for a great license server, and is decent for portability along side my Apple Production Suite. Makes it easy to work from home or the office with multimedia work.

Byla
07-19-2005, 08:41 AM
Maya runs very well on the g5s, but not on the powerbooks.... So, PowerMac yes, PowerBook, not really.

CGTalk Moderation
07-19-2005, 08:41 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.