PDA

View Full Version : StarCraft: Ghost Trailer

lildragon
10-27-2002, 03:58 AM
Blizzard has released a movie of their Starcraft: Ghost game, for the first time ever, witness the lethal Ghost operative Nova in action ;)

http://www.blizzard.com/ghost/movies

salud

WarpedMinds
10-27-2002, 04:08 AM
THANK YOU for posting this bro :bounce: just downloaded and watched and now im all hyped up, best of all ITS COMING FOR GAMECUBE! which means i can actually play it..

with that im quite glad it is coming out for all platforms, but anyone know if it's gonna be 100% online? i heard that they're releasing it as an online game, but it doesn't really look it to me =?

the graphics are very very smooth in that trailer, so I think that it's really gonna push all 3 systems, can't wait :D

Ckerr812
10-27-2002, 04:25 AM
Is it just me or did they take her mouth out to save polygons, the character looks very odd without a mouth..hehe

Looks cool though.

fawazr
10-27-2002, 05:43 AM
wow, that tariler was great! I only wish they made the new metroid a bit more like this.

wlau
10-27-2002, 11:15 AM
Ckerr,

Haha, I totally agree with you. I know she's supposed to be somewhat stealthy and all, but the whole veil looks somewhat strange :) Wierd how some people just look more "right" with a mouth.

But nonetheless, not a bad trailer. It'll be interesting to see how it all pans out.

wlau

Lunatique
10-27-2002, 11:15 AM
My ex-roomate Jason Felix is one of the lead guys on that. He models with Lightwave(his first 3d app, and he stuck with it), and animated in Maya. The rendering is done with the game engine.

ZeroNeuro
10-27-2002, 12:03 PM
I really hope that this FPS isn't a cookie cutter one. I'm starting to hope for the next evolution in games.

Aearon
10-27-2002, 03:01 PM
mh trailer is pretty cool, as are the graphics

but it looks very cartoony compared to starcrafts fmv's, i don't like the overall feeling of it... i hope they don't do that because it's a console game and they have to appeal to the younger "generation" of gamers. from what i've just seen it really has this typical console feeling to it..

chrleon
10-27-2002, 03:32 PM
Loved it!

The boots ligting up were cool.

But it seems to me they forgotten the pc :(

lildragon
10-27-2002, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by chrleon

But it seems to me they forgotten the pc :(

It seems most developers are these days :hmm: I would've love to play The two towers but I'm not buying a PS2 to do so :hmm:

salud

ambient-whisper
10-27-2002, 04:45 PM
some elements in that trailer were cool and the whole stealth thing i like. but when they show action it just seems a bit slow.
the rendering/texturing also looks kinda bland, but ill leave my judgements on that till the game is actually out.

overall it seems to be an mgs game, just not as cool:)

Neox
10-27-2002, 05:00 PM
The problem with developing games for the pc is, that you have to do so damn much to get your game working on nearly every computer, because there is no standard like on consoles...
we are working on a game for pc and its much harder as to do games for x-box gamecube etc. these are just given configurations, every game works on every console...

lildragon
10-27-2002, 06:12 PM
Yeah I understand that, but they have been making games for consoles and PC's for years, it just seems all of a sudden they're not doing it anymore.

On every PC Game box you see a minimum requirement (even back in the commodore 64 days), so I think it stems further than "it's too hard"

Even today's bargin basement PC's will out perform any console processor out today, and also in terms of memory, it's mainly the video card that acts up. And this is not saying much, since you can get gforce 3 mx cards for under $60

salud

ambient-whisper
10-27-2002, 06:49 PM
ya but then again theres more than just geforce cards out there. you cant just tailor to one card.
theres ati. theres 3dlabs. and others.
sound also plays a big part and there are many configurations for that. different cpu chips, each having its own little technology for the game devs to take advantage of. but its hard to code for everything and optimize for every single piece of hardware.

even with minimum requirements...what if that person doesnt have a geforce card. will they be left out in the cold? would you then spend money on a new videocard? or a console? considering that consoles have gone down in price big time this year.

with a console theres never need to upgrade because the game uses so and so requirements. plus. games just generally feel better on consoles :) ( except FPS games )

plus. you can usually get games on console months before its ported to PC ( think GTA3 :)

lildragon
10-27-2002, 06:58 PM
To each's own I guess, I know you can't tailor to one card, that was an example, and I know you don't have to worry about patches and the like for console systems, but I'm not going to shell out 3 bills for a console system when I have a fully capable PC that costs 8 times as much that looks much better IMO, I'm not dissing the game companies, but after playing Halo and Project Gotham on my friends 50" HDTV, I'm happy to be back to the crisp, sharp graphics and keyboard for my PC.
No big lost for me I guess, I barely have time to play any games anyhoo. Though No one lives forever is taking some heavy interest.

salud

pascal_blanche
10-27-2002, 10:40 PM
console guys buy games
pc guys crack games

easy to understand ;)

btw .. couldnt see the trailer, blizzard`s site shut down 10 minutes after it's been highlighted on cgtalk.. how strange is that? :P

lildragon
10-27-2002, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by pascal blanché
console guys buy games
pc guys crack games

On the contrary Pascal, I'll bet a hefty sum of console gamers rent games.

salud

pascal_blanche
10-27-2002, 11:00 PM
better rent them than cracking 'em no? hey Lil.. do you have other links for the trailer?

btw: couldnt play halo with those damn joypads.. hard to master!

pswitzer
10-28-2002, 01:11 AM
what does it matter? there's no point to avoid the pc market because you think your game will get cracked. They'll crack it and put up an emulator to run it either way...

all consoles should be destroyed.

ambient-whisper
10-28-2002, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by Patrick Switzer

all consoles should be destroyed.

why? consoles are great.

PNelson
10-28-2002, 02:13 AM
Originally posted by ZeroNeuro
I really hope that this FPS isn't a cookie cutter one. I'm starting to hope for the next evolution in games.

Zero,

If you want to see the next evolution in games, check out Doom3...

It is the most amazing thing that I've ever seen! There is a great article on Doom3 in this months PC Gamer!

I'm very excited that ID Software has switched to LightWave for modeling! This is a good game to be part of!

See Ya,
Philip Nelson

PNelson
10-28-2002, 02:13 AM
SUP?

ambient-whisper
10-28-2002, 03:08 AM
well i dont think itll be a completely new game type but it does mention a few neat things. like being able to step on enemies.( im guessing you can use this on zombies when they are down to prevent them from getting back up.

stuff like shooting parts of the body will make a different sound. ( metal part on character makes a different sound than his arm....and a different yet for skull. etc.etc. so these should be neat. i think they also talk about having something in where you can blow off parts of a character. so if you shoot his arm itll get damaged appropriately. ( not sure about this one tho ) but they did talk about not having just a standin box for damage. but make the damage more local to the body parts.

so maybe you could kill enemies easier if you shoot them in the legs to cripple them...and then save ammo by not having to run around trying to kill an enemy.

another thing they mentioned is that stamina plays a large role. so you wont be able to just run through levels, but rather have to take caution of whats around you. and try to get by with spending as little ammo, because it will be scarce for the most parts ( atleast in the labs ( scientists dont use guns right ;)

and then theres the super cool fact that some enemies could break through walls, and they could smell you from another room and come for ya.

( this is just my interpretation of the article. )

Gkaine
10-28-2002, 05:49 AM
blizzard started as console. if anything they have forgotten the console market for the past few years.
they have just grown bigger. and are currently developing wow for pC. they even state on their site, just because they are working on a console game doesnt mean any of their other departments stop working on PC games, it just means they are growing:)
i love blizzard i want to work for them some day i read everything about them i can :bounce:

and this game isnt a fps, its more like an epic 3rd person tactical shooter, it sounds like halo/MGS to be honest.

itll be interesting to check out. but atm i am die hard rts and mmorpg so any console game is gonna have to be amazing to keep me playing.

ZeroNeuro
10-28-2002, 10:11 AM
Philip: I am actually waiting as patiently as I can for Doom 3 ;) Been waiting since I finished Doom 2 years ago.

red_oddity
10-28-2002, 03:22 PM
I'm sorry to say this Pascal, but eventhough your work is beautifull, a lot of b*llsh*t leaves your mouth, i'm a serious PC gamer and i don't crack games or play cracked games, i seriously doubt most people in these forums do too.
Why spend a day downloading something that usually is not finished and doesn't come with support or the ability to get patched later on in a descent fashion. (besides, it's a lot more fun to show of your shiny new games this way rather than some dumb burned cd.)
B.t.w. i have so called console gaming friends, and i believe that the majority of the games they own are copies or illegal print imported from taiwan.

Sorry, but i do take this remark rather personally as it is always 'the guy with the PC' who gets pissed on every friggin' time some stupid gaming argument arises between console gamers and pc gamers.

Lunatique
10-28-2002, 04:17 PM
There's only a handful of console games I really liked, but there's an entire library of PC games that I love.

So, that makes me a PC gamer.

I would hate to see all game developers take the console road. That would make me very sad.

beaker
10-28-2002, 04:20 PM
Personally I prefer to play games on the console too. Games on the pc just screw up my machine and you have to make sure you have the newest patch for this driver or the newest patch for the game to get it to work right. It's just a pain in the ass with some games and more hastle then its worth. Some games aren't even playable when they first come out because of bugs. The stupid publishers have this lame mentality that they are more interested in releasing the game before its finished because hey, if its broken we can just patch it later. I really want to see someone do a class action suit against one of these dicks one of these days so the publishers will be more cautious about releasing something that is full of holes. It's not the game companies fault, but usually the publishers. Trouble is the game company always gets blamed for it.

I will still play a killer game on the pc, but I would rather have a dedicated machine for that. But then you think, why in the world would I spend 600-800 for a dedicated pc for games when a console is just $150-$200

Console games on the other hand have to be perfect when it comes out, once its burned, thats it, no more changes, its done and shipped. If its buggy and full of holes, then its going to get a bad name and not be sold. I can sacrifice a slightly blurry screen and not the newest greatest hardware simply for the convinence of just sitting down in front of my tv, poping in a game and just playing it. I dont have to mess with anything and I should have to go through the hastles like you do on a pc. It doesn't matter that the pc has much faster graphics because it's the games that make a system, not the graphics. Xbox has proven this because of their lackluster sales record and M$ now buying up more game companies to put some killer titles out. They finally saw the light that simply because you have the newest most technically superior product, doesn't mean it's going to sell.

thats just my .02c

beaker
10-28-2002, 04:29 PM
Then again some games just don't play well on the console, especially FPS.

1942 on the pc rocks!

I just prefer a console when possible.

fango
10-28-2002, 04:42 PM
red oddity :

When pascal says "pc guys crack games, console guys buy games" i believe it s not an accusation as you may have took it but a simplification of the HUGE difference between PC and console markets.

The PC market is completely unknown, when you pull out a game you have no idea how many copies you will sell because
1) most of the users are computer proficient and thus a significant loss of income falls into piracy (if you believe that s not true then ask any distributor's marketting dpt)
2) the numbers of gamers in you targetted audience is unknown (a significant part of sold PCs are not used for gaming so we cant take that as an indicator)
3) even if you have a rough estimate of your gamer audience, you do not know what configuration they have and if your game will be playable/sellable on their comps (the rule of thumb being : optimize the games for the previous video card generation)

so Launching a game for PC is itchy, and investors do not like fuzzy prediction numbers.

On the other hand, the console market is stable, you know exactly how many GC XBOX PS2 were sold last year, so you know the maxximum profit you can make. You know your game will be playable/sellable on every console. You know the user base in majority do not have the computer skills to significantly hijack your profits via piracy. With a simple market study, the predicted Return on investement will be accurate.

in short : the console market is safer and will soon be more lucrative than the PC one .

And the fact that you as a pc gamer do not crack games or that your console friends own illegal copies from taiwan doesn t make a (viable)market rule (unless your real name is Carmack) and is Not an excuse to be rude.

:rolleyes:

red_oddity
10-28-2002, 04:55 PM
'Kay, point taken, sorry Pascal, that reply wasn't meant in a really bad way anyway (i just get harrassed as a PC owner in a Mac oriented company enough already (they MAKE we work on those machines...yikes...))

BUT, if companies know games on the PC are cracked so much, why not make it completely useless for gamers to play a cracked version (make it cheaper(50 euros is still a heap of money for a game), come up with a better copy protection or make sure even a patch has a copy protection.)

Heck make sure people have to go through such a shitload of trouble to download a game (if i spook around on newsgroups or hotline or direct connect i see games a plenty, why not do something about that? (why not go the Sony (may they rot in...ehrm, never mind) way and ban these services (like they did with napster) so it's not worth it anymore to copy a game because the download costs are as much as an original game)

And as for unknown PC configs and targeted market, that's just because of bad market research (just because you know how much consoles you've sold doesn't mean you will sell as many games (different folks different strokes, right),but, If a company just would do some research on how many nVidia GeForce 3 & 4 boards and Ati 9000 series boards have been sold, that would give you a rough estimate the like knowing the amount of sold Playstation 2s for example (you know these people haven't bought these new cards just to play pacman or Doom 1 on 350 fps))

Anyway, my mind is going astray right now, better stop littering the forums with my raging b*llsh*t.

pascal_blanche
10-29-2002, 03:20 AM
hehe that's ok Red_oddity... Fango wrote the answer for me ;)
It was not an accusation, just a sad fact...

bentllama
10-29-2002, 04:32 AM
Originally posted by pascal blanché
btw: couldnt play halo with those damn joypads.. hard to master!

:) I actually find myself jumping in PC FPS' now using my controller!

WHOOOOO HOOOOO! :)

Neox
10-29-2002, 08:51 AM
"BUT, if companies know games on the PC are cracked so much, why not make it completely useless for gamers to play a cracked version "

Come on, who is going to pay that? teams are getting bigger and bigger, you have to take alot of money for your games to get ONLY the production costs, because of those crackers... the only chance you have is to do a game wich has crack protection no one know... put 2 or more crack protections on your game, not only a "play only from cd" prtection... check your data, if its a bit/byte smaller than your original data so you ca slow down the game or do anything else (make units not work for the gamer etc.) be a normal company can't afford to pull their games out with a price of 10-20€ it doesn't work, you'll have to sell much more games to get your costs back and there will still be a lot of crackers doing it just for fu, and a lot of gamers which play the game without having payed for it, you can't stop it just by moving the prices down...

hu my english sucks! :annoyed:

red_oddity
10-29-2002, 09:36 AM
Well, luckily for those companies there's suckers like me who will buy a game no matter the 50euro price tag.:p

samartin
10-29-2002, 10:28 AM
I thought I'd have my 2cents worth, I recently bought halflife generations and I cannot play the on-line version (special ops)... why...

cos' I have 2 d/l a 112 meg file on a 56k modem 2 do so, I have a 2 hour time limit on my dial up connection and only get about 10 meg an hour tops d/l speed... :shame: OK I could use flashget but I just can't b bothered waiting about 12 hours 4 this patch 2 get on my PC...

I think I'll stick with my PS2 with the likes of devil may cry which rocks big time...

wlau
10-29-2002, 11:00 AM
Improve copy protections in PC games?

Nah, users throughout the world now are getting smarter and smarter. -Anything- developers can think of, users will find a way through. And at the end of the day, all that effort just isn't worth it in the long run.

PC\Console Warez?

I'm safe to say that there is more PC warez going on than Console warez, however, to actually 'control' or shutdown these things would be near impossible. There are -way- too many sources, and not to mention the impracticality of trying to do so.

Napster may have been shut down, but has that stopped people from hopping on another network or using another program to provide essentially the same, but probably more enhanced service. say Kazaa for example.

Anyways, on the general note of consoles. Consoles are always gonna be something I'll check out or play simply because I'started playing games on them, and they've only gotten better with time. I mean, I play predominantly RPG's on consoles because there isn't anything on the PC that even remotely compares to it.

Baldurs Gate is great, but for myself, it pales in enjoyability when compared to the Final Fantasy series or almost all Squaresoft games. And that's the thing, you -won't- get the key developers from overseas primarily developing for the PC platform.

Oh, the Ghost trailer looks alright. It's really tough to say what the game will turn out to be like.

wlau

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 09:01 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.