PDA

View Full Version : 3d artists required for 3d chat project

r a f t
07-18-2005, 05:52 PM
hi there,

i've been working on a '3d chat' project in which users will move around in virtual places, see and talk to each other, change their appearance etc. in later phases they will interact with each other like dancing, kissing etc. in some means it may be considered as a simple virtual reality system

in the future i also plan to add some game features like secrets, vehicles, fun toys etc

i'm developing my project (aptal karga: 'foolish crow' in turkish) in java on top of EgonOlsen's lovely freeware 3d engine jPCT (http://www.jpct.net). karga still has a long way but i've already done a lot. one can find a working prototype by following the '3d chat' link at www.aptalkarga.com (http://www.aptalkarga.com) (requires java5)

i'm looking for sponsors and/or 3d artists (max) for my project. the avatar infrastructure is almost complete supporting both texture based dressing and mesh based accessories like hair styles, sun glasses etc. i've also implemented an 'avatar tool' for a 3d artist to see and test all his/her work from a single place

as i'm developing karga on my own no payment is possible at the moment. but i believe and hope with some nice 3d art work (mine are extremely ugly :rolleyes: ) i may find sponsors to financially support this project. i also believe karga is a nice reference for a 3d artist

well, i guess that's all for a quick start

you may always contact me at my site or here. please feel free to ask for any details

r a f t
and just for reference this is what aptal karga (foolish crow) means:
foolish crow is the crow who resurrected for revenge after his death but forgot his reason of resurrection because of the happiness of returning life again. foolish crow is not real, just an urband legend among crows

r a f t
07-18-2005, 07:31 PM
needless to say it's not only the avatar infrastructure that is almost complete.

i started karga with the idea of an enhanced chat system. it would be similar to muds with no graphics. as i implemented that 'text based version' up to a certain level and then begun to look for a way to embed 3d graphics into it, karga has a working network infrustructure till the beginning

it has 2d 'talking balloons', node switching mechanism, first and third person views and more..

i guess it's best to see it in action with multiple clients running

r a f t
www.aptalkarga.com/3dchat.html (http://www.aptalkarga.com/3dchat.html)

r a f t
07-23-2005, 06:24 AM
according to my server's logs, seems as nobody is interested in my project :sad:

below is a screenshot of current status, maybe (i hope) it helps :cool: http://www.aptalkarga.com/images/shots/karga6.jpg

r a f t

r a f t
08-10-2005, 08:14 AM
hello,

i'm re-organizing terrain structure, including:

* an xml based terrain configuration as usual
* allowing max instance and reference clones (via max script) to decrease memory usage
* a simple LoD (level of detail) implementation
* switching between nodes is more like games now, simply walk to door
* changed to way balloons pop up

i used a transition area for LoD to minimize pop effect. i.e. only after the transition area is passed the object is replaced with a different mesh

following diagram demonstrates the transition area in LoD system (1, 2 are different LoD levels and the arrows indicates movement direction)

---- LoD (1) --->| (1) |---- (2) -->
<--- LoD (1) ----| (2) |<--- (2) ---

below image shows an extreme sample demonstrating LoD running. that is a huge map (1km x 1km in human scale) consists of 10x10 tiles each has 1000 polygons. that maps loads in a couple of minutes on my box and doesnt fit into a 256mb jvm. but runs fast enough

http://aptalkarga.com/images/shots/karga7.jpg

the new look of avatar panel. those transparent panels are addictive on me with no doubt http://192.18.37.44/forums/Smileys/classic/tongue.gif

http://aptalkarga.com/images/shots/karga8.jpg

r a f t

xxkillerxx
08-12-2005, 09:24 PM
waoo man thts really kool project.. well i can help u in modeling and stuff..
but i think other guys should help u init..

r a f t
08-13-2005, 07:28 AM
waoo man thts really kool project.. well i can help u in modeling and stuff..
but i think other guys should help u init..
:) thanks, i will really appreciate that. i've sent you an e-mail about the subject..
r a f t

atenyotkin
08-14-2005, 01:36 AM
I'm not sure if this will be more negative than positive feedback, but I have to point out that something like this already exists. I don't believe it was a success either. I actually tried it out, along with a few of my friends, and we lost interest within a week or two, even though it was a very well made 3D chat environment. I'm referring to There Online of course, and you can find it here (http://www.there.com).

Perhaps your idea isn't at all similar to There, but I figured I'd point it out anyway.

ZATZAi
08-14-2005, 05:45 AM
There have been several projects like this, commercial and otherwise. Ever since Neal Stephenson's book "Snow Crash" it has been a dream of many. Still, good luck with it, you never know, you could be the one to hit it big.

If you ask me the reason none have really met expectations is that they tend to have to reason to exist. A chat room is nice and all, but it needs to have more substance to truly suceed, some games on the side are often not enough. I think, that like in "Snow Crash" for such an evirorment to succeed, commercial businesses will have to get involved, and market themselves in this universe. Think, open air mall.

Granted this too has been "attempted", but the implementation I saw was poor, and the companies didn't really care, their presence was simply their website.

I think, however, that we do have something successfull along these lines already though, and that is the various MMORPGs. Anyone who plays a MMORPG knows it's basically a big chat room, and it has games. But it also has a reason to be there, in that you can accomplish goals, whether real or imagined, and there is a commercial interest always bringing new and interesting things into the equation.

Now that's not to say that indivuduals don't make a difference and cant keep things interesting, but it's difficult and rare for lone people to have an effect on such a scale as a commercial organization can.

r a f t
08-14-2005, 12:24 PM
I'm not sure if this will be more negative than positive feedback, but I have to point out that something like this already exists. I don't believe it was a success either. I actually tried it out, along with a few of my friends, and we lost interest within a week or two, even though it was a very well made 3D chat environment. I'm referring to There Online of course, and you can find it here (http://www.there.com).

Perhaps your idea isn't at all similar to There, but I figured I'd point it out anyway.

yes, i know about there. among lots of other 2d and 2.5d ones, i guess with its 3d enviroment there.com is the best sample of this kind

There have been several projects like this, commercial and otherwise. Ever since Neal Stephenson's book "Snow Crash" it has been a dream of many. Still, good luck with it, you never know, you could be the one to hit it big.

thx four your good wishes. i havent heard about "Snow Crash" but as i googled for it now, it seems as it is similar to William Gibson's Neuromancer

If you ask me the reason none have really met expectations is that they tend to have to reason to exist. A chat room is nice and all, but it needs to have more substance to truly suceed, some games on the side are often not enough. I think, that like in "Snow Crash" for such an evirorment to succeed, commercial businesses will have to get involved, and market themselves in this universe. Think, open air mall.

while talking with my friends about karga, we've thought of similar ideas to commercially use it. 'bridge it' to real life with virtual markets or put non-sales virtual show rooms or put real billboards etc.. i'm sure one may find many other ideas to use it either commerically or for advertisement purposes

I think, however, that we do have something successfull along these lines already though, and that is the various MMORPGs. Anyone who plays a MMORPG knows it's basically a big chat room, and it has games. But it also has a reason to be there, in that you can accomplish goals, whether real or imagined, and there is a commercial interest always bringing new and interesting things into the equation.

seems as the situation boils down to mankind's typical problem: he cannot simply sit still and have fun, there must be a purpose, some measurement of success ;)

Now that's not to say that indivuduals don't make a difference and cant keep things interesting, but it's difficult and rare for lone people to have an effect on such a scale as a commercial organization can.

well, sad to say that but you are right i'm afraid. while starting this project i knew that i cannot complete it on my own, thats why i was and am looking for sponsors. to be honest i'm really dissapointed, lots of company spend lots of money for ordinary, poor made games but seems as nobody is interested in karga. please dont get me wrong, i'm not trying to say, karga is already a high quality one but it has the potansial with enough funds..

r a f t

CGTalk Moderation
08-14-2005, 12:24 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.