PDA

View Full Version : Recomendations for a Portable HD?

reForm
07-18-2005, 05:31 PM
I'm looking into buying a portable HD, both for backup, and for general usage.

What are your experiences with these devices? are the Lacie drives worth the extra premium ?(I've heard of two failing in the last 6 months, and on opening they contained a standard maxtor drive)

Are there any good HD enclosures that offer good performance ? Any pros/cons I should be aware of?

I will mostly be using the drive for video editing.

Thanks for yer help!

DreamingInDigital
07-18-2005, 06:27 PM
i have 3 portables....2 250GB and 1 160GB and i havent had a problem yet...one thing to make sure of is that the portable connects via FireWire and not USB..... FireWire is faster...also something to think about.....do you want the portable to get its power from your PC like a USB stick or do you want a portable with its own power supply?

reForm
07-19-2005, 01:39 AM
The power issue isn't to important for me I think.

The Icy Box or the Akasa enlosures seem good.

Would USB2 not provide similar performance to firewire?
One annoying thing is that my laptop doesn't have a built-in firewire port, so USB2 would be more convenient... Having said that, my PCs aren't all USB2 compatible so that could be a pain...

The ICy Boxes are both USB and firewire so offer the best of both worlds.

Thanks for your interest.

nafa
07-19-2005, 03:01 AM
I have purchased 3 portable drives in the last 2 years. One Iomega is still working, but two Maxtors have failed after less than one year of usage. I dont think I will buy anymore Maxtors.

itsallgoode9
07-19-2005, 10:49 AM
I agree with USB 2, because it is the same speed basically. And in my experience, people who don't do art generally won't have a firewire port. So if you ever need to hook up to somebody's computer for some reason, there's a good chance you won't be able to. My advice is to build your own external. That's what I always do because I get to pick a case that's to my liking and an hardrive to my liking, rather than having to settle with what is already picked. it's cheaper too generally. When I bought my last case I believe prices ran anywhere from 30-80 bucks....and you can easily find a good name 160 gig Hard drive for 80 bucks. You might look into doing that instead

bloodw
07-19-2005, 10:57 AM
^^^
I agree with him, building your own external I found out is cheaper and more reliable. I bought a 2.5" hard drive (for laptops) and a cheap enclosure, its pretty small and no problems so far :)

jbw
07-19-2005, 11:41 AM
Building your own is probably the best way to go.
I've never noticed any difference in speed of USB 2 or Firewire 400.
I'd advise against Maxtor as well (i've had 3 'Onetouch' models and 1 died within 2 months). If I were to buy a retail unit again would probably get a Lacie, got a few at work and never had issues.

ta,
jbw

XenaTrek
07-19-2005, 12:47 PM
Recently invested in a Firelite from Smartdisk. They're small (pocket sized), and I believe they're up to 150 GB by now... tho they're sure expensive. I do have a bigger Western Digital Combo Drive thats about 120 GBs. Haven't had a problem with either... yet.

XenaTrek.

Ramon
07-20-2005, 02:32 AM
Well I also heard in other forums about the seagate 400gb external being very problematic.

Though I heard in other forums here on CGtalk, that the Western Digital external drives are very reliable and very good. I haven't heard to many (at all) bad things about the WD line.

Can anyone comment on that?
Thanks!:)

heavyness
07-20-2005, 04:57 AM
good thing i did a search for this topic first...

i was going to pick up 2 of these...

Seagate (ST3250823AS) Barracuda 250 GB 7200 RPM SATA (http://www.seagate.com/cda/products/discsales/marketing/detail/0,1081,632,00.html)

putting 1 in the pc, and the other in an external case. do SATA HDs act the same as most IDE when it comes to external HDs? and do most cases come SATA or IDE? or both? also, should i get a HDs that have SATA 2?

thanks in advance.

Ramon
07-20-2005, 09:39 AM
Actually I'd like to know that too. :shrug: Someone with knowledge on these drives please chime in. :) My internals are scsi

TETRAGRAMMATON
07-20-2005, 03:03 PM
I have a 250GB Lacie.It is good mainly for the capacity but it has a problem with the heads that sometimes seem to not have enough energy and get stuck.
Maybe this depends on very hot temperature and summer.:sad:

heavyness
07-21-2005, 03:55 PM
good thing i did a search for this topic first...

i was going to pick up 2 of these...

Seagate (ST3250823AS) Barracuda 250 GB 7200 RPM SATA (http://www.seagate.com/cda/products/discsales/marketing/detail/0,1081,632,00.html)

putting 1 in the pc, and the other in an external case. do SATA HDs act the same as most IDE when it comes to external HDs? and do most cases come SATA or IDE? or both? also, should i get a HDs that have SATA 2?

thanks in advance.

bump & thanks

Ramon
07-21-2005, 05:40 PM
I have a 250GB Lacie.It is good mainly for the capacity but it has a problem with the heads that sometimes seem to not have enough energy and get stuck.
Maybe this depends on very hot temperature and summer.:sad:

Although I don't have a Lacie, I am in the southeast (USA) and I know what you mean about the heat and humidity and computer overheating. I would like to put my computer in a overly cool closet or small room where the ac can be individually set and be kept at around 66 deg. I would need a long monitor, mouse and keboard cord though. Unless I go wireless for the keyboard and mouse. And I'm not sure about how long the monitor cables can be without techincal problems though.

CGTalk Moderation
07-21-2005, 05:40 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.