PDA

View Full Version : Poly counts for RTS

toebee_1
07-18-2005, 02:42 PM
Does anyone know the poly counts for units and environments for the next gen of RTS games like Age of Empires 3. I have been wanting to model some RTS style stuff but wasnt sure what todays standatds were.

Neox
07-18-2005, 03:04 PM
i can only say for our game http://neox.gfx-scene.de/public/index.php?dir=./pictures/SEK/Screenshots/E3-2005 and not for age (would be interessting)

characters have up to 1,5k polygons , heroes have up to 3k, large animals up to 5k, trees 1k, builings up to 6k ...

mearrin69
07-18-2005, 05:55 PM
Good lord, Neox. Are the "screenshotxx.jpg" files in-game shots or are they renders? Those are amazing models and environments. This one will be on my to-buy list for sure.

Regarding polycounts I would have thought that the numbers would be a bit lower - but I can see that you guys have used them to full advantage. Anyone else comment if these counts are typical for upcoming RTS games?
M

Seebaer
07-18-2005, 11:53 PM
i would guess it depends on the kind of rts.

RTS games where lots of figures are at the same time in sight (for example "rome the total war"; around 6000 units), handle it with lower polycounts.
In games like Warcraft where the figurecount is around 200 units, play with the polycounts neox posted (and i would guess his game also fits these "warcraft" cathegory).

sorry for my english guys, but school is out and iam not anymore in training, expect the few posts here ;-)

greetz

Neox
07-19-2005, 08:05 AM
well inever said, that they have those polycounts when you are 70 meters up in the air ;)
LOD is the Method you should consider.

@mearrin69: nope they are all ingameshots

Seebaer
07-19-2005, 12:49 PM
ah i forgot, yeah then you are right neox :D

toebee_1
07-19-2005, 01:31 PM
Thanks for the replys guys, and awsome work on that Neox

CGTalk Moderation
07-19-2005, 01:31 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.