PDA

View Full Version : ATI or GeForce

DigitalToon2
07-18-2005, 12:29 PM
I'm going to be getting a new computer soon, and I have two choices for video cards, either the nVidia GeForce 6800 which comes with the system or I can upgrade it for $300 to the ATI Radeon X850XT PE. Now I have searched through the threads and read some articles in magazines and I still can't make up my mind. I read in a couple of threads that you should always go a version back because it's cheaper and the expensive card will be half the price in a year or so anyway but I guess my question is, if I'm working in maya or 3ds max am I going to be able to tell the difference between these two cards because as far as I can see the ati card is faster but if I'm going to have pentium 4 processor (3.20GHz, 800 FSB) with 2GB of memory should I just go with the GeForce 6800 card and save the money and upgrade the card later. I guess I'm just looking for some input from people who use either of these cards for 3d because all the reviews I seem to find in magazines or on the internet center around gaming.
Thanks

jbw
07-18-2005, 01:54 PM
I doubt you'll see a great deal of difference. I'd personally keep the Geforce and save the cash. Though I'm slightly biased as I've had no fun with Ati cards in any of my computers. :sad:

ta,
jbw

imashination
07-18-2005, 01:55 PM
Take the Geforce

lots
07-18-2005, 01:59 PM
Which model of the 6800?

The Radeon is not really any faster than the top model 6800 :P And both cost the same arm and leg :P

For openGL performance I'd stay away from ATI.

DigitalToon2
07-18-2005, 02:27 PM
The card is a 256MB PCI Express*x16 Nvidia GeForce*6800.

lots
07-18-2005, 02:32 PM
so .. the non ultra?

treed
07-18-2005, 04:53 PM
Personally I'm an Nvidia guy. I'd go for the 6800 GT or Ultra 256mb PCI Express. Both you'll be able to get under $450 I believe.

DigitalToon2
07-18-2005, 06:32 PM
I think it's the GT, the dell website isn't really specific about which one it is but the speed seems to make it look the GT. Yes I'm going to get a dell and please don't make this about which computer brand is better, I've had a dell for quite a few years and I've been very pleased with it's performance especially since when I got it I didn't know anything about what was needed to do cg and I have been running max on it for a few years now but it's time to upgrade. By the way I really do appreciate all your responses and it's the XPS system that I'm looking into buying.

sha$xl
07-19-2005, 03:17 AM
I think it's the GT, the dell website isn't really specific about which one it is but the speed seems to make it look the GT. Yes I'm going to get a dell and please don't make this about which computer brand is better, I've had a dell for quite a few years and I've been very pleased with it's performance especially since when I got it I didn't know anything about what was needed to do cg and I have been running max on it for a few years now but it's time to upgrade. By the way I really do appreciate all your responses and it's the XPS system that I'm looking into buying.

its the NU i think no the GT
thats cool id say save ur money and get the 6800. then just unlock the 4 extrea piplenes, OC it a little and it'll be the same if not better than the radeon

oh btw if your getting a dell they have tons of coupons and stuff online, just do a google search for dell coupons this one time they had like 40% of a comp $2000 and over or somethin like that. some damn good deals

edit: lol im bored i actualkly searced it, the curent desktop one is 30% off over $1000 the code is XWKC?7H3V$FRFP

mannix8
07-19-2005, 07:59 AM
"May the geforce be with you!"

aerofx
07-19-2005, 08:17 AM
Personally I'm an Nvidia guy. I'd go for the 6800 GT or Ultra 256mb PCI Express. Both you'll be able to get under $450 I believe.

You can get a BFG 6800 Ultra OC 512MB on Ebay for about around 400-450. I just purchased one last week, it's just the card but the retail boxed ones didn't go for that much more.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5215566396&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

DigitalToon2
07-19-2005, 11:27 AM
Thanks again for the replies! And Thank you sha$xl for finding that coupun code I may have to order that in the next day or so that takes a lot off.

CGTalk Moderation
07-19-2005, 11:27 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.