PDA

View Full Version : Michael Comet's poseDeformer for 6.5 ??

Paul Moran
07-18-2005, 11:13 AM
Hey All,

Has anyone managed to compile Micahel Comets awesome poseDeformer PlugIn for 6.5 yet ?

Thanks for your time and I hope to hear from y'all soon :)

cheers,
paul

sporadic
07-18-2005, 12:38 PM
You can download the .mll from his website at http://www.comet-cartoons.com/toons/melscript.cfm. You also need the 1.17 PD files, since they include the scripts and such, but it works just great for me.

Geoff

michaelcomet
07-18-2005, 05:42 PM
I've also got compiles now for 6 and 6.5 myself...i've been meaning to update the ZIP to support all of them but I haven't done it yet...one day. In the meantime as mentioned just DL both items from my site.

-comet

Arcon
07-18-2005, 11:31 PM
if i could just hijack this thread with a poseDeformer tech question :) its an *awesome* script which i've been using for shoulder deformation (on 6.5). whenever i try to mirror the deformer (following the steps outlined on tokeru.com tutorial), i get a C++ runtime error. my joints are mirrored properly with behaviour set, however the skin may not be perfectly symmetrical... is that a requirement... and/or likely to be causing the runtime error?

no big deal i have the targets already mirrored via a script so i can make another poseDeformer node if required, it just takes half an hour to input each pose on a high res mesh ;)

Paul Moran
07-19-2005, 12:26 AM
I've also got compiles now for 6 and 6.5 myself...i've been meaning to update the ZIP to support all of them but I haven't done it yet...one day. In the meantime as mentioned just DL both items from my site.

-comet

Sweet as, got it all up and running now :) ...what a fantastic Plug-In ...

Kiaran from CGToolkit gives your poseDeformer script a really good wrap in their new book ...i was reading it last night b4 hitting ZZ land and had to jump outta bed (freezing my ass off) to suss it out ;)

Awesome stuff!!!

Thanks again!

michaelcomet
07-19-2005, 02:57 AM
Arcon, what is the exact error? You should mirror the poses usually onto a second/newer poseDeformer. ie: mirror from psdArmLf to psdArmRt etc... It shouldn't be causing any errors tho.

Also editing membership of the source and target psd's to be what they should be BEFORE doing mirror will greatly speed up the process also.

paul: cool good luck!

littlepixel
07-19-2005, 04:00 AM
Michael Comet,

How did you decide to release your pose-space deformer for free to the cg community? I realize you've done everybody a huge service, and I wonder how are the prudent methods to act given a clever discovery or invention? Strictly speaking I mean how did you decide to release any of your ideas to the general public?

Basically I'm hoping that some of my ideas, individually or together might help me get a job. I don't just want money for being cool, I wanna work and make things with other artists. I have infinitely more motivation when working with other professionals than just like in a vacuum. I've been completely re-energized by the discussion here on CGTalk about my work, and I'd love for the momentum to continue. Of course I want to collaborate with others and explore all the new ideas and thoughts and I sense that letting everybody in on my secrets is the best course of action, but how should it be done? that's what I"m wondering.

I hope this isn't off-topic, it sort of is, but I'd like to insert it anecdotally in this thread about your pose-space deformer which I intend to try the minute I finish my high-res poly girl I'm modelling.. just working on her lips right now.

Warmest regards,
Alex Kessaris

Arcon
07-19-2005, 04:07 AM
Hi Michael - thanks for your reply :)

the error has actually been different on 2 attempts now, on one computer i got the C++ runtime error (i missed the rest of the message and am kicking myself right now), and on my machine just a generic "Fatal Error, attempting to save etc" message. although in both instances it sat there for about 20 mins first :(

that editing membership definitely helped speeding up the movement of joints, i will try creating a new PSD on the left shoulder, and editing the membership in advance like you say.

hopefully it will work 'cause currently i have an even more ominous problem than the mirror not working: if i just want to setup a new PSD node on the opposite shoulder, when doing the first new pose on that new PSD it sat there for about 1.5 hrs, then i had to kill maya 'cause it was taking too long. does a second PSD node take twice as long to calculate poses for some reason...? anyway i will try it with edited membership (which has removed about 35,000 verts :) ) and hopefully it will finish within half an hour again... in case you're wondering its a 40,000 vert mesh, so i'm down to 5,000 ;)

Arcon
07-19-2005, 04:29 AM
yay! all fixed now :P each pose is computing in a respectable 3-4 mins.

it was the membership - too many verts, heh seems so obvious now... thanks heaps :)

michaelcomet
07-19-2005, 12:15 PM
Arcon, odd well if you get errors again let me know. Definitely sounds like a memory thing. Might be undo related, I know Maya gets wack if there is too much going on and you run out of memory.

littlepixel, I just decided to release it for free like my Maya scripts. Some part of me is kicking myself right now, since I probably could have sold it, ah well..hehe. I like to release things for free tho, always have. Always good to help the comunity. Usually I just release it and say it is free. Here I released code too so I used the gnu public license for it, so it's still copyright etc...

-comet

sporadic
07-19-2005, 12:55 PM
To jump in here, I've not released anything quite as cool as the pose deformer, but the reason I release many of the tools I develop is partly to 'give back' to the community which gives me so much. Small tools that make life simpler helps everyone.

It's also advertising, somewhat. Consider: if you create a cool tool, and release it, you can still keep it on your demo reel, including URL's for people to download and try at the end or on the details sheet or whatever. The best case would be if they *already* know about the tool and have even used it. I don't know about anyone else, but if I liked a tool, then found out the person who wrote it was looking for work, I'd cetainly be thinking, "Maybe they can create some cool tools for us." Worst case is still that they can go and evaluate the tool if the demo intrigues them. I can't see that as a bad thing, assuming the tool is actually useful.

Geoff

Arcon
07-20-2005, 06:50 AM
Arcon, odd well if you get errors again let me know.

no more errors but a workflow issue i'm trying to figure out... can poseDeformer be used for correcting deformations on joints in the middle of a skeleton...? i'm trying to make twisting poses for the neck, but ran into a problem with a twist: the pose arrow is in exactly the same direction (up the neck in rotX), so they both activate at the same time causing the geometry to mess up.

i thought i could SDK the pose's max angle driven by the rotX of the neck, it works to some extent except when it reaches zero the geomtry seems to have a glitch. i guess the only option with a straight twist is a maya blendshape.... unless there's a method with PD i'm not aware of...?

michaelcomet
07-20-2005, 12:05 PM
Yes it can. You have to set the feature for enable/disable twist first on the pose reader...then it will show two other axis shorter as well, and it will only kick the pose on when both the main axis AND the other two axis line up. The only limitation of this is it will start to get wacky the closer to 180 you get, because +180 is the same as -180.

The other alternative make a new PSD deformer, and read a different "axis" ie: read Z instead of Y for the poses.

-comet

sporadic
07-20-2005, 01:42 PM
Hey, Michael, since I know you're reading this thread,

I've been having some trouble with the edit membership tool. I can't seem to get it to do anything! I mean, it shows the current membership, but I can't select or deselect points. I've been using the paint attribute tool, which works pretty well, but when I click edit membership, it doesn't seem to show the results (though the results are affecting what vertices get posed). I know I did this in the past, and I feel like an idiot, since I know it should be obvious, but can you explain how the tool is supposed to be used?

Thanks!

michaelcomet
07-20-2005, 01:58 PM
All that button does is select the deformer and call the usual Maya "Edit Membership" command...so it should show and then allow you to select/remove membership.

Once you have shapes, the Auto-Mem button instead will auto-prune the weights to just the points used in the targets if desired also.

-comet

Arcon
07-20-2005, 11:51 PM
The other alternative make a new PSD deformer, and read a different "axis" ie: read Z instead of Y for the poses.
-comet

[arcon gets down on ground, does ewok worship chant]. thanks michael, that 2nd poseDef did the trick, and produces the predicatable result i'm after. i think the twist option might have worked, by setting "allow twist" to zero i saw 2 more axis, and could sort of get a result by rotating the poseReader, but it was a little dodgy...

anyway cheers for all your help with this :)

lovisx
12-18-2005, 12:50 AM
is there any way I could get michael's poseDeformer non linear blendShapes for maya 7?

michaelcomet
12-18-2005, 01:33 PM
Sorry my site has been down as I moved to a real web hosting provider.
It's back up now and the DL's for the poseDeformer etc is online again.
http://www.comet-cartoons.com/

Michael

phainey
07-31-2006, 07:02 PM
Is there anyway to get just the joint space differences out of an existing PSD? Basically, the deformation minus the skin weight deformation. I know the resulting shape would look kind of odd but that's ok.

michaelcomet
07-31-2006, 10:23 PM
You should be able to zero out any of your controls/skin and use the PSD "isolate" stuff to turn on any pose to 100% regardless of the actual controls state you have...

phainey
08-02-2006, 01:48 AM
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the quick reply. I tried the isolate option but I didn't get what I thought I was going to get. I have more than one pose connected to the posedeformer. How do I select which pose to isolate? Can I do this, or do I need posedeformer for every pose?

michaelcomet
08-02-2006, 02:41 AM
The isolate shows exactly the one pose the # index is. So if you isolate 1...it shows pose number 1 at 100% and nothing else. 2 for #2 etc.... You should have a different poseDeformer for each AREA you are doing, ie: biceptLeft should have a different deformer than BicepRight different from UpperLeg etc... see the html and link to the wiki site someone else made.

phainey
08-24-2006, 11:36 PM
Thanks Mike! I didn't realize there was an index of poses available to the isolate attribute. I was just going from 0 to 1 and since I had a nuetral pose at 1, I wasn't seeing anything change. Anyway, Thanks for the info. The will really help me out.

Paul

marckury
01-21-2007, 11:08 PM
im having problem mirroring poses with setup machine rigging...anyone know if setup machine have "bad" mirrored joints to work good with pose deformer? the problem seems when i move the joints to get the new shape in mirrored part i get the deformation but in the same way like the other part , so if i pulled points to right in the left arm when mirror pose to right arm i get the same change when those mirrored points should move to left...:sad:

michaelcomet
01-21-2007, 11:34 PM
You should also make sure your nodes/groups above the joints also have proper Left/Right mirror naming conventions... and make sure they are oriented using Maya's mirror joint tool for "behavior".

marckury
01-22-2007, 12:06 AM
about names is all good named... and about joint orientation im not sure because is done with plugin rigging called the setup machine so i dont know how are the joints created but joints seems ok , i rotate the arms at the same time and both go up or down like say this tutorial http://www.tokeru.com/twiki/bin/view/Main/MayaRigging,
if theres no solution i will have to reshape the 2 sides of my model... anyways thanks for that great plugin!

marckury
02-04-2007, 01:53 AM
there will be posedeformer for maya 8.5???? im having problems calculating maya cloth with a character full of pose deformers and I thought maybe would work better with new ncloth of maya 8.5

knoxie
02-20-2007, 10:19 PM
Just giving this thread a nudge.

We are using Comet's poseDef on a couple of rigs and have now upgraded to 8.5 for nCloth reasons...

Would love to be able to use these rigs without having to point cache out the geometry from 8.

I've emailed Michael with a request... has anyone else recomplied it for 8.5?

Cheers,
Carl.

ninedegrees
03-17-2007, 08:34 AM
does anyone know if there has been an 8.5 compile of Posedeformer yet?

Thanks.

GennadiyKorol
03-21-2007, 08:05 PM
Hey guys, here's a compile of poseDeformer for Maya 8.5, for windows 32:

www.henrykorol.com/poseDeformer.zip (http://www.henrykorol.com/poseDeformer.zip)

Hope you find it useful,
Henry

twedzel
03-22-2007, 01:15 AM
Thanks for the recompile I was waiting for that one befor comiting anything to 8.5!!

swag
03-22-2007, 03:49 PM
thanks henry :) good boy you get some candy

ninedegrees
03-22-2007, 03:52 PM
Thank you so much for that compile!

djx
03-23-2007, 05:39 AM
Henry, thanks for that - most appreciated!

Quick question, regarding the compile... Last year I compiled a working version for 8.0, without knowing anything about the code. This time I tried the same thing for 8.5 and it compiled without error, loaded into maya, but failed to work. Did you have to change the source code at all? Or am I just not experienced enough with the compiler ?

edit:
Ok, I just tried your 8.5 compile Henry, and it fails at the same point mine did. I mean, when I click the "7. Create..." button, nothing happens. Nothing is created. There is no error message so I cant work out what is going wrong.

Did it work correctly for you?

thanks again
David

GennadiyKorol
03-28-2007, 09:08 PM
Hello David,

Sorry for the late answer, been a bit busy. Checked it now and it works pretty good here as well as for other people that tried it.
To compile it you just need to provide the correct link library names and Maya include/lib folders. It compiled for me by the moment it could resolve all dependencies. I haven't many any changes to source code.

Hope you've already figured it out,
Henry

djx
03-29-2007, 02:14 AM
Im sad to say I cant get it working.:sad:

Just to be clear, its not the compiling - Im using the .mll's that you provided.
When I try to create a poseDeformer everything works until I click the create button. In the script editor I can see // Generating pose... // but nothing happens. I am left with the poseDeformerCorrectedTgt node still visible, and no pose is created. The only change that is obvious is that now all my channel box numbers have 16 digits after the decimal place, instead of 3.

Obvoiusly if you are having success using the plugin, I must be having a conflict with something (or maybe missing a common system dll maybe?). I have tried the usual things like removing my prefs and not loading other plugins, and have tried it on other peoples systems. We always get the same result.

Hmmm. Not sure where to go from here. Maybe someone has a suggestion of what I am doing wrong.

thanks
David

streetsy
03-29-2007, 07:37 AM
Im with djx.
I have the GUI working but clicking the Create button yields no result.

This would of solved so many problems too. Is there any other plugin that does a similar thing?

darkjedi1929
03-29-2007, 08:01 AM
Hi guys, I am havin a wierd problem here....

Whenever I try to mirror the poses on my left clavicle to my right, it slows down the whole scene. I have got about 7 poses setup on it. And as far as membership goes, I only have the torso and clavicle cverts being affected by the PSDs. This happens even when I create a new pose on my rightClavicle PSD. With just the left Clavicle, it works fine.

What could I be doing wrong?

If anyone needs the scene file I could give it to you.

streetsy
03-29-2007, 08:02 AM
Just an update. I went back to the version supplied on the comet website for version 8.0. And ran it on my version 8.0 copy of Maya. It works fine. So this rules out my rig or scene stopping it from working.

michaelcomet
03-29-2007, 04:29 PM
darkjedi: Turn off the envelope (ie put to 0) or delete the mirrorData node on the mesh... this is what causes the slow down...it should really delete or set the env to 0 when done, but I never added it to the script...oops. :)

djx / streetsy: Check the output window for errors if it is there. Also try this on a simpler mesh maybe? Like a cylinder and 2 joints... I haven't recompiled in 8.5 yet...(obviously) but I don't think it should break anything...

djx
03-30-2007, 12:57 AM
Hi Micheal.
I am testing using a simple cylinder with a 3 joint skeleton. I dont get any errors in the output window, and in the script editor window I just get // Generating pose... //.

I have tried just running the following command: poseDeformerEdit -geo poseDeformerCorrectedTgt -xform joint1 -xform joint2 -pi 0 poseDeformer1 ; and nothing happens. I only get error messages if I give it invalid input args.

thanks
David

streetsy
03-30-2007, 01:03 AM
Im going to have to abandon this for now as my deadline is looming and I still haven't rigged the character. A workmate here recompiled the code again and still no joy. The Plugin will load and read in all the influences of my rig but gives this message in the script editor...
// Generating pose... //
Nothing else.

I can get it to work OK on Maya 8.0 but our render farm etc is all upgraded to 8.5

I'll come back and try it again later, as it looks like a great solution :)

streetsy
03-30-2007, 01:25 AM
Just a thought... would it have anything to do with version 8.5 installing to Program Files/Autodesk, instead of Program Files/Alias?

darkjedi1929
03-30-2007, 05:23 PM
[QUOTE=michaelcomet]darkjedi: Turn off the envelope (ie put to 0) or delete the mirrorData node on the mesh... this is what causes the slow down...it should really delete or set the env to 0 when done, but I never added it to the script...oops. :)
QUOTE]

Hey thanks Mr. C. :thumbsup:

djx
03-31-2007, 10:44 AM
Im sure that eventually Michael Comet will do an 8.5 version, but while I wait I started poking around in the code - hoping to learn something while Im there. However it doesnt seem appropriate to continue that discussion here, so I started this (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=4297704#post4297704)thread in the mel forum.
thanks
David Johnson

edit: working version www.djx.com.au/mel/poseDeformer_for_maya_8.5.rar (http://www.djx.com.au/mel/poseDeformer_for_maya_8.5.rar)
(please read the readme file)

twostory
04-25-2007, 01:21 AM
Hey Ya'll, Thanks for the 8.5 compiled files Henry and David. I'll test them out. Our project is also moving to 8.5 for Mental Ray stuff and poseDeformer is the only thing we are waiting for, I anxiously away Comets version. By the way Micheal if you read this, can I just say your poseDeformer has been a god sent. The old way of doing Corrective Blends was so slow and your plugin has saved me so much time. Many thanks and I look forward to 8.5.

TwoStoryTorrey

twostory
04-25-2007, 03:09 AM
I have tried to use these buttons a few times.

Does anyone have a simple explanation as to how these buttons work and in what situations it would be best to use them?

I've looked through a few tutorials but never saw anything explaining how the work or what they are for.

Thanks,

TST

modi
04-25-2007, 05:40 PM
I have tried to use these buttons a few times.

Does anyone have a simple explanation as to how these buttons work and in what situations it would be best to use them?

TST

I've never used the auto membership, but edit membership can save you lots of time when creating a pose.
After the new deformer is created , click edit membership and select verts that are going to be affected by your sculpted pose. After u sculpt the pose when u click create/edit pose u'll notice how fast it it cause it does not have to read the entire mesh for vert tweaks.

One thing that bothers me is , after i've created a lot of poses, the mesh seems to not be in bind pose anymore, even if the joints are not rotated the sculpted poses affect the base mesh a tiny bit which kinda screws up creating blendshapes.
Also does anyone else have defromation order issues, i can't paint weights anymore on a mesh that has poseDeformers. It may have been because i kept going back btw 7.0 and 8.5 before the plugin for 8.5 that works was released.
Just curious if anyone else has these issues.

cheers
Modi.

underearth
04-28-2007, 09:23 AM
hey.. as many of the PSD users are reading.. does anyone has saved teh page.. which has short tutorial of how to set PSD on arms...

as link over site is down. for soem reasons.. and i need that...:bounce: like this..

:sad:..

sorry for posting off topic.. maybe my desperation reaches height..

djx
04-29-2007, 12:22 PM
If you go to http://web.archive.org/web/20060112165838/www.tokeru.com/twiki/bin/view/Main/MayaPoseDeformer you can get the text, but unfortunately they dont have the pictures - however since you are desperate, it may still be of some help.

edit: I just discovered I had the page (pictures and all) saved at work. I have put it up here (http://www.djx.com.au/cgtalk/PoseDeformer%20-%20tutorial.htm) for you.

twostory
05-02-2007, 12:42 AM
Modi thanks for the Reply, I'll test it out. It will save me time as of now I have to wait 10 to 15 minutes for calculations on each pose I have so many.

Now maybe I can help you.

Modi..."One thing that bothers me is , after i've created a lot of poses, the mesh seems to not be in bind pose anymore, even if the joints are not rotated the sculpted poses affect the base mesh a tiny bit which kinda screws up creating blendshapes."

According to the tutorials that used to exist. I read that every time you create a new PSD the first thing you do is create a default pose (PDS) with the rig in bind pose this way anytime it is back at the original bind pose it has the default or modeled shape.

Modi..."Also does anyone else have defromation order issues, i can't paint weights anymore on a mesh that has poseDeformers."

I haven't got to 8.5 yet so that my be the issue. To change the deformation order right click the mesh in maya and go to "all inputs" in this window you can middle mouse drag the poseDeformers and change the demormation order...you want the skin cluster below all of your PSD's.

Modi..."i can't paint weights anymore on a mesh that has poseDeformers."

I can still paint weights on my mesh and I have 6 PSD's and over 50 shapes. Maybe it is the version...I'd try looking at the deformation order.

maybe this help maybe not. Best O' Luck

Buexe
05-04-2007, 03:47 PM
Hi, so has anybody successfully created poses in 8.5? It seems to start the poseedit command here but after that nothing happens : (
TIA!

Buexe
05-04-2007, 09:22 PM
got it working with djx version, thanks djx and thanks to michael for this great tool!

twostory
05-25-2007, 12:45 AM
got it working with djx version, thanks djx and thanks to michael for this great tool!

I tried to use the djx version and it didn't keep any of the PDS that I created in 7.0. Is it supposed to keep old PSD's or is it only for creating new ones? Maybe i'm doing something wrong. I put he .mll's where the old ones used to be? Any help would be greatful.

Also anyone know when or if Comet will even be coming out with a 8.5 version? Any other plugins you all know of that work like pose deformer.

Anyway,

Thanks for the help

Torrey

djx
05-25-2007, 12:43 PM
Torrey, scenes saved from maya7 that contain poseDeformers should work correctly when loaded into maya 8.5 (using the version of the plugin compiled by me). I havent needed to do it in production yet, but after reading your post I tested it and it all worked.

If you can successfully create and use poseDeformers with maya 8.5 then that would verify that your installation is correct, so I cant think of a reason why your v7 scenes wouldnt work. (I'm happy for you to send me a v7 scene file to test if you wish - goto my website for the email address)

Michael Comet said he would get around to compiling it eventually, but that was a few months back, so I guess he's been busy. He hinted that there was even some new even better version that he was working on.

twostory
05-28-2007, 02:00 AM
Thanks DJX I got it working I think I still had a 7.0 plugin because once I replaced it with 8.0 plugin and used your .mlls it works. Thanks again for the help and also the info on Comet. I'm excited to see what additions comet is putting in the next version.

Torrey

CGTalk Moderation
05-28-2007, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.