PDA

View Full Version : NEED HELP FOR NEW CG Computer!!

joe13
07-18-2005, 11:29 AM
Hi guys this is my first post k....

im in yr 12 and next yr gonna go 2 uni and du a double degree in animation and special fx. The apps used will be 3ds Max 7.5, Maya 6.5 Complete, after effects, premiere, digital fusion, combustion, photoshop CS2 and illustrator, and some other programs aswell and im a regular gamer. So can u guys help me out

List
- Its gotta hav a AMD Athlon X2 4400+ (wit the 1mb cache each core)
- SLI mobo ( ASUS, Abit, MSI)
- 2gb of RAM
- Quadro FX card (1400, or 3000) 4 CG
OR
- Geforce card 6800 of 7800 (4 Gaming)
*wit the SLI i can change between each GFX card weather im doin CG or games
- me got 4 250GB hdd already
- and a dell 2005fpw 20.1 WDS

so can u guys help me....PS thanks in advanced

treed
07-18-2005, 05:57 PM
Ok cool, stick with the X2 4400+, that'll be good for CG and games. For the motherboard, you should get the asus A8N SLI Deluxe, very nice board and it's not that expensive. For graphics card, I'd get the 7800 GTX because you said you're a regular gamer so that should perform well in CG stuff too and of course in games. And just to let you know in terms of PSU, get at least a 550w, perhaps even a 600-650w. With this kinda hardware you want max performance. http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

andytw
07-18-2005, 07:31 PM
*wit the SLI i can change between each GFX card weather im doin CG or games

If from reading the above quote you're hoping to use a Quadro FX and a Geforce card together in SLI I'm afraid it won't work. SLI currently needs two identical cards to work, you can't even mix different 6800GT's (for example).

Until you start doing professional work you don't really need the stability benefits of the Quadro so I'd go for the 7800/6800 option. You could use two 7800 or 6800 cards in SLI for a similar cost to a single Quadro card depending on the models chosen.

joe13
07-18-2005, 11:06 PM
No you can use both the gfx cards and it dosent hav 2 be in SLI mode, you can switch between both coz they r both PCI express, just change it in the bIOS......

MadMax
07-18-2005, 11:33 PM
you should get the asus A8N SLI Deluxe, very nice board and it's not that expensive.

Well I would agree on the choice of board, but I would hardly call it "not that expensive". At 165.00+ it's a pretty pricey board.

I'd also suggest spending the extra 20.00 or so for the Asus A8N SLI Premium board though. The heat pipe cooling plus a few extra features is worth skipping a couple of trips to Mc Donalds to get the better baord.

SweetDreamz
07-19-2005, 03:32 AM
And just to let you know in terms of PSU, get at least a 550w, perhaps even a 600-650w. With this kinda hardware you want max performance. Sorry...don't know how to say this nicely...watts don't mean jack. It's the quality that matters.

igami
07-19-2005, 03:39 AM
Don't get the MSI Boards. Many people had bad experience with them.

MadMax
07-19-2005, 03:40 AM
Sorry...don't know how to say this nicely...watts don't mean jack. It's the quality that matters.

I don't know how to say this nicely either.

You are full of crap.

mlmiller1983
07-19-2005, 03:50 AM
Sorry...don't know how to say this nicely...watts don't mean jack. It's the quality that matters.

Quality is PC Power & Cooling PSU. Best PSU out there!!

lots
07-19-2005, 05:14 AM
What SweetDreamz says is somewhat true. Though Watts DO matter. For example a quality PSU will deliver on the watts it is specicfied, and in most cases will deliver a clean stable source of power, which is good. A bad PSU will not, and thus doesnt really give you the spec'd wattage. Thus turning a "600W" PSU into what is really a 300 watter from any reputable company. This of cource leads people to recommend rediculous PSU wattages to "be safe" from this poor quality issue.

Which in most cases seems to work.

Personally, the PSU is a part that I would not cut back on. The health of the entire system relies on it.

mlmiller1983
07-19-2005, 05:36 AM
Good stickin the AMD 64 X2, probably the best cpu out there for CG as well as multitasking. As for a motherboard I would go with the ASUS k8N-SLI Deluxe. Video card you could go either way Quadro FX or GeForce. I am saving up to build me 2 PCs based on the AMD 64 X2(distributed rendering on these would be SWEET). Its going to take me at least until the end of the year to save up the money but it will be worth it. I was going Xeon but AMD 64 X2 is so much better in terms of performance, heat, and power usage, not to mention that the NForce 4 chipset is awsome.

joe13
07-19-2005, 01:30 PM
hey cool nice system, i think i will always stick with AMD and the X2 4400 is probably the best value and performance for my budget and 1mb L2 cache on each core thats goos enough for me. And how about rendering should i hav and seperate rendering node??? and the 3ds max single educational version is that got the wole package??? is it limited??? do u thyink 2 gb of ram is enough or du u think 4GB would be perfect??? Pls reply:thumbsup:

mlmiller1983
07-19-2005, 02:13 PM
hey cool nice system, i think i will always stick with AMD and the X2 4400 is probably the best value and performance for my budget and 1mb L2 cache on each core thats goos enough for me. And how about rendering should i hav and seperate rendering node??? and the 3ds max single educational version is that got the wole package??? is it limited??? do u thyink 2 gb of ram is enough or du u think 4GB would be perfect??? Pls reply:thumbsup:

Get 2GB now and then add the extra 2GB later. I am pretty sure alot of the new DCC software will be able to utilize more than 2GB RAM. CS2 can supposedly use 3.5GB of Memory and I'm pretty sure the new ones coming out will too.

SweetDreamz
07-19-2005, 09:08 PM
You are full of crap.

Give yourself a good read from here (http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=779582).

MadMax
07-19-2005, 11:35 PM
Give yourself a good read from here (http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=779582).

Nothing I didn't already know, and nothing that hasn't been said here a million times in the past. it's all old news. Just do a search on the subject.

Although I have to find some humor in the guy saying watts don't mean jack uses a 500+w PS. ROTFLMAO!!

CGTalk Moderation
07-19-2005, 11:35 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.