PDA

View Full Version : A horrible beeping sound, nothing displayed on screen, what's the problem??

IestynRoberts
07-18-2005, 09:38 AM
Hi all, i've got a problem. When i put my computer on i bet this massive beep from my computer itself, asdn nothing comes on the screen. The computer sounds like it's coming on, but nothing displays on the screen. The loud beep is very haunting, i have'nt done a back up for a while so im shitting myself at the mo. Does anybody have an idea what this might be, and how to fix this?

Thanks guys,
Iest

Garma
07-18-2005, 10:05 AM
that sounds like a problem with your video card. I know my motherboard does that when something is wrong with that. I'm afraid this is really bad news for your card but probably not for your data.

JMcWilliams
07-18-2005, 10:07 AM
Yeh, sounds like your video card has blown.

Stimpy
07-18-2005, 10:09 AM
isnt loud beep most likely the ram ? either way, unplug everything that isnt needed, especially the HD if you havent done a backup. then try putting things in one after the other. if you got several sticks of ram, try putting in only one at first and then see what happens.

IestynRoberts
07-18-2005, 10:15 AM
Hi guys, it's a relativley new machine, 8 months old, if i start opening it up, will this do anything to my guarantee?

So do you recomend not playing around with the Hard Disk as this might lose my data?
This aint good.
IEst

Stimpy
07-18-2005, 10:23 AM
if its 8 months old i would just take it back to the shop and have them look at it. i would suggest unplugging the HD so whatever you do to your computer to fix it will have no effect on it. computers can boot up without the HD so no need to have it plugged in, until you get rid of the beeping

Solothores
07-18-2005, 10:23 AM
Have a look over here, maybe you might find some help:

http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm
http://www.pcguide.com/ts/x/sys/beep/

However best way would be to check your video card in another pc, maybe that of a friend of you.

mahir
07-18-2005, 10:26 AM
I've encountered this before and in that situation it was the RAM not fixed properly.
Check if the RAM is loose. Take them out and fix them in again to make sure.
If you have a spare RAM lying around you could replace it to see if the one you got is corrupted. All the best!

IestynRoberts
07-18-2005, 10:33 AM
Thank ypu for the help you guys, really apprichiated. Im at work at the mo and it's my personal computer that's broken. Im really tempted to take a half day and go home and fix it, it's really bugging me. All my work, Nooooo!

Thanks
Iest

IestynRoberts
07-18-2005, 03:25 PM
Hi all, thanks for replying, i got so worried, i took the rest of the day off work so i could go home to figure it out. You were right Garma, it was the video card, it got loose somehow. Thanks for those links Solo, they came in very handy indeed.
Thank you very much guys, this site rocks, don't know where i'd be without it!
Iest

Garma
07-18-2005, 03:58 PM
glad to be of help :) now be off to back up your stuff :wip:

IestynRoberts
07-18-2005, 11:38 PM
Hey, yeah exactly, that's t5he first thing i did, but in the sheer panic i made 2 Backups! hehe.

Thanks again,
Iest

CGTalk Moderation
07-18-2005, 11:38 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.