PDA

View Full Version : Concept Art

Leonardo Vega
07-18-2005, 06:11 AM
Any references geared specifically towards concept art? For some reason concept art has a unique look that I really like, but I can't seem to achieve it. I love Ryan Church's work! :D

- Leo

PerfectBlue
07-18-2005, 06:36 AM
Visit Conceptart.org. It's the "CGTalk" for concept artists. I think you can just forum search them for almost anything, its an awesome community. :bounce:

Leonardo Vega
07-20-2005, 12:45 PM
I went there, but I couldn't find much... (a couple quickies)

- Leo

jmBoekestein
07-20-2005, 06:23 PM
Ryan CHurch works for gnomon school...they have dvd's that he lectures in.

ANd there are others like that. It's a question of googling in some cases, but sooner or later you can stumble onto something I bet.

KOryH
07-20-2005, 11:19 PM
Your question seems to imply that concept art is a specific style. This seems a bit off.

The quality and style of concept art or visual development depends on the individual artist
and/or the specific production needs.

learn to draw and paint and you can do concept art.
But in my opinopn good ideas are more inportant than technical skill.

PerfectBlue
07-20-2005, 11:39 PM
Great point KOryH!

Conceptual Art is just that; a sketched idea. Its rough, and very open for major alterations. I don't think its fair to classify all concept art under 1 look or style.. since that doesn't make sense. Thats kinda like saying all 3d models look the same!

If there is a specific artist's style you like, research him heavily. And if you are able, send him an email with a few questions. :)

Leonardo Vega
07-21-2005, 05:16 PM
Good point koryh. I'm new to anything outside of the cartoon world. But I really enjoy concept art (the mood of those peices is so cool). My favorite concept artist is Ryan Church, probably because I love all those Star Wars concept art books. Although there are many styles, it seems most peices of concept art share a common style. And I feel like the workflow of a conceptual peice must be very different to that of an illustration, cartoon, or photo realistic painting. They seem more like speed paintings :)

I would just like some guidance on the workflow, techniques mostly used, and tips. I saw some videos at Gnomon that look good.

- Leo

p.s. Anyone know if you are a CGS memeber if we can get discounts on gnomon videos?

KOryH
07-22-2005, 05:39 PM
Yeah Ryan is great, But I like Erik Tiemens better. He has more control over his colors and there is always something natural and believable about his work. If you were to go back and look at Ryan's stuff from a few years back you can really see how he has improved with the influence of Erik.
I think you see a style in concept because of the Star Wars thing. That comes from the studio and the artists there being art directed. Most Visual Development artists are and need to be very flexible and versatile. It's that which makes them so valuable. I know my professional work is quite different from my personal work. I change according to the needs of the production.

About the speed painting thing. They most likely are not as quick as they may appear. and I am sure the pieces were worked to death and revised quite a bit. Some of those things can linger for months as the story changes and locations are revised. Production work is not always as glamorous as you may think.

Leonardo Vega
07-22-2005, 08:40 PM
But I look at a lot of different works, not just Ryan's, and they have a certain look. It's sketchy I think. I'm starting to realize as well the importance off developing a good perspective drawing foundation.

- Leo

allenatl
07-22-2005, 08:55 PM
I think what vegasbros is referring to is the looseness of concept art. Sometimes a finished painting or drawing becomes rigid and stiff from overworking by an artist. But good concept art always seems to retain the original looseness or , for lack of a better word, playfulness.

CGTalk Moderation
07-22-2005, 08:55 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.