PDA

View Full Version : Tutorial : Baking Lightmap

Por@szek
07-17-2005, 11:53 PM
Hi there.
Buddy from my native portal ask me about tutorial of baking lightmaps. So I decide to create a simple tutor for baking and using second channel of mapping. Its my first tutorial so I'll be glad for a constructive crits.
Tutorial (http://abandonedland.net/test/add_links/Tutorial_lightmapbake.htm)
Zipfile (http://abandonedland.net/test/Tutorial/Lightmap/Lightmaptut.zip) with tutorial, for easier use.

I hope it will be helpfull.

Bye.

capone_adam
07-19-2005, 11:07 AM
Good thing I was looking at older posts, this tutorial could have just vanished which would of been tragic. It looks like a greatly well explained tutorial covering a subject that is rarely covered.

You even provide a zip...:thumbsup:

-KDX-
07-19-2005, 02:30 PM
I need to learn max purely cause 90% of the "good" tutorials are on it and not maya...=(

-KDX-

supernekosan
07-19-2005, 04:04 PM
ho this is a prety good tutorial..evry ting is show..tanx!

Por@szek
07-19-2005, 06:55 PM
I;m glad that help You. If even one person learn something from this my work won;t be wasted. As I say its my first tutor, so crits are welcome.
Cheers

Painreliever
07-20-2005, 01:24 AM
Informative...might want to fix the spelling of Unwrap throughout the document...you spell it Unwarp.

Por@szek
07-20-2005, 08:40 AM
Thanks man, I always change place of this two:) I'll be more carefull next time.

jussing
07-20-2005, 09:01 AM
Max doesn't support rendering both map channels

Yes it does, just insert the light map in the material's ambient or self-illumination slot, and select "map channel 2". Bingo. ;)

(if you put it in the ambient slot, I believe you have to set the scene's ambient to "1" in the environment settings)

Cheers,
- Jonas

Por@szek
07-20-2005, 02:37 PM
Jussing - I were trying what you said me but , trully I cannot do this. Or I making something wrong, or You arn't catch the idea what I were trying to say (I'm not good at english so maybe why). Max can't add together this channels and textures, they arn't blending. The soft shadows don't shown at the object with first channel and main texture. Maybe I cannot say that I know that and think of that. The final effect should be like multiply in shop.
I'm useless ...

jussing
07-20-2005, 02:48 PM
Yes, I think I'm understanding you, you can have Max show a combination of both maps, like a multiply in Photoshop.

a) add your texture map in "diffuse" slot, use UVW map channel #1
b) add your light map in "self illumination" slot, use UVW map channel #2
c) turn off all light in the scene
d) render, and see your soft shadows from the light map affect the texture map

Cheers,
- Jonas

(note: the "correct" way is to use ambient slot and not self illumination, but I prefer the latter, cause then I won't have to tamper with the scene's ambient settings)

EDIT: however, this of course only works in render, not in the viewport... maybe that's what you mean...

Por@szek
07-20-2005, 11:33 PM
Thanks for the tip jussing, I try what You said and its really works, Unfortunatelly this soft shadows don't looks good, the are almost invisible on the object with no texture (white diffuse) and when I turn on the texture on diffuse channel they are almost invisible. Anyway thanks for this tip, if I had a while I'll correct the tutor.
Cheers

jussing
07-21-2005, 07:20 AM
Hmm, I don't understand why they are almost invisible... Try posting screenshots.

Did you turn off all light in the scene?

Cheers,
- Jonas

hanzo
07-21-2005, 10:54 AM
great tutorial man, I'm going to take this one later on maybe tommarow.. I'm so bogged down with finishing my crapy work ;P

CGTalk Moderation
07-21-2005, 10:54 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.