PDA

View Full Version : CG film based on music / musical theatre

mixermanic
07-17-2005, 10:06 PM
Hi folks,

I'm thinking about producing a fully CG film of the musical Les Miserables as a project, including re-recording the score (using samples, live musicians and singers who owe me a favour :) ) and reorchestrating and rewriting sections of it.

My question is, how different would the production pipeline be for a project based heavily on the music as a central part of it than in any other CG film?

As far as I can see, the first thing to do once in the production phase (at the same time that the characters and environments are being modelled/rigged/animated etc.) is to get the vocal tracks down - even if it is only to a rough mix of the backing track. That would then enable the animation to essesntially be completed as soon as it can be without the music holding up the process.

Whilst on the topic - this will be my first *fully* CG venture. Are there any useful tutorials or sites out there with the CG production pipeline, so I can get a handle on the differences between that and conventional film with CG? It seems to me that the lines between production/parts of post production (visual FX, compositing etc) are becoming very blurred (in my own mind at least! :) )

Thanks,

Martin

CGTalk Moderation
07-17-2005, 10:06 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.