PDA

View Full Version : Low Poly Cargo Containers (PSP)

AdamAtomic
07-17-2005, 08:04 PM
http://adam.lastchancemedia.com/psp/cargo.jpg

http://adam.lastchancemedia.com/psp/cargo_tex.jpg

Just for fun, and to see what I could do with slightly larger textures. I think these would look good in a PSP game.

eMPeck
07-17-2005, 08:59 PM
I love Your low-low poly stuff. You'll be really inconsolable when handhelds & mobiles will handle higher polycount ;)

xno
07-17-2005, 09:19 PM
Awesome stuff!
Did you paint these in true resolution or do you paint them double the size and scale them down?

Neox
07-17-2005, 09:21 PM
nice work, maybe a bit low in contrast but thats maybe only my personal taste ^^
are you going to do some more compex works or do you stay with those "simple" objects for a while? i'd like to see what you can do with more polygons and texturespace :)

LittleFish
07-17-2005, 10:25 PM
Just a quick question, because I see you changed the hue/saturation in PS (or equivalent) for the four textures -- for the PSP, because it is a fairly limited console, would/could the textures for the 3D objects use variable palettes, such as 2D sprite-based games for the GBA (e.g. Golden Sun trees use 3 or 4 palettes in any given scene for variation - blue leaves replace with green, green replaced with red, blue with purple sorta thing)? Would this save a lot of resources? If so is it regularly done? (Also, it brought to mind your mini ships, same sort of thing there?)

AdamAtomic
07-18-2005, 02:05 AM
Neox - Thanks, I am working my way up, why I've already quadrupled my texture space :D I have a 3500 tri character that I will be polishing and rigging soon (preview (http://adam.lastchancemedia.com/deep_rising/fin_final_smooth.jpg), hand-painted textures (http://adam.lastchancemedia.com/deep_rising/fin_final_tex.jpg), no photo-sourcing), but I have some other responsibilities to finish first. I have a couple 7000 tri characters on the HDD too, but they haven't even been unwrapped. I have been doing pretty detailed textures for my contract work but that is under NDA, that is also partly why I have been doing so much simple low poly stuff for fun lately.

Xno - These were basically quick edits of some photos I took years ago. The source photos are very detailed (in relation to game graphics). I worked at 128x128 for most of the touchups and stuff, and then shrunk to 64x64 and sharpened. There is very little actual painting in these particular textures :)

eMPeck - If that day should ever come I will be crushed! Inconsolable does not even begin to describe it. However, SNES-quality games are still very popular and that format is nearly 15 years old; I think simple polygonal objects will be useful to have around for a long time to come!

LittleFish - I think that the PSP probably can do that, but I don't think it has quite the performance boost you see on other, weaker 3D and 2D systems, because the available palette on the PSP is much larger. I'm not sure on that though, any pros that want to weigh in on that mark feel free! On the DS, definitely. The nice thing about palette swapping is that you actually have much more control than just a simple hue shift; e.g. on a space ship that is blue with a yellow stripe, you can change the ship and stripe color to be just about anything you want, you don't have to keep their hue relation static.

Thanks!

TheGodZero
07-19-2005, 01:30 AM
Your textures are way to monochomatic and clean. Id take a it more time in making them look warn in. I would sugest making the bottoms of your crates look like they have seen a hard life of scraches and mud.

AdamAtomic
07-19-2005, 04:30 AM
TheGodZero - thx for the advice, I will keep it in mind as I progress. There are a couple of reasons these particular props look clean. One is they are barely edited photos of an actual container sitting in mud; the mud just doesn't go very high on them in normal use, there actually IS about a pixel of mud along the bottom. However, I agree that some better splatter/damage along the bottoms would add a little more character.

The other reason is these were basically a fast UV/texturing experiment, all the crates and textures and variants were created in under 2 hours from existing materials that I just had laying around.

Plus, I like to see some clean game assets sometimes :D It seems like there must be something clean somewhere in the video game universe. Not in Gears of War, maybe, but somewhere at least!

EDIT - In fact Metal Gear Solid had some really beautiful clean environments...

CGTalk Moderation
07-19-2005, 04:30 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.