PDA

View Full Version : Blend Shape workflow with external modeller?

Droolz
07-17-2005, 03:42 PM
Hi all, I'm using Silo to model my blendshapes which I export from as .obj's. I bring these into maya and set them up as normal. what i want to know is if there is a way to set up a 'reference' to the imported object in maya so that if i make any futher modifications in silo it is a much quicker process to update the blendshape in Maya, other than removing the existing blendshape, importing and adding the new one?

Hope this makes sense, It's a hot day and I may have had beer ;)

Jules

Clanker
07-18-2005, 12:18 AM
Hi,
Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think it's possible, because your blendshape is stored in a node which is independent of the geometry you used to create this blendshape.

john_homer
07-18-2005, 02:16 AM
import the targets by using file->create reference, (before you create the blendShape node) then just make sure you dont delete the targets in the scene.

everytime you open the scene it should (I've never done this) just load the new shapes, as long as the scene file you are referencing (the new modeled shapes) keep the same name

.j

Droolz
07-18-2005, 07:57 AM
Cheers Clanker, John - I'll give the referencing a shot, sounds like it should work. I also figured it really woulden't be too hard to write a little script that does the job, ie. if you keep the .obj file as the exact same name as the blendshape in maya you could automate the disconnect of the blendshape, deletion of the shape, import and reconnect..

Thanks again, Jules

john_homer
07-18-2005, 08:09 AM
if you want to go down that road, I would just import the new shape, connect the new shape to the old one with the inMesh->outMesh, (this will make the old one that is connected to the blendshape the correct/new shape) then delete the one you imported.

easy to script..
select the new shape THEN the one thats connected to the blendShape...
string $sel[] = `ls -sl`;
connectAttr ($sel[0] + ".outMesh") ($sel[1] + ".inMesh");
delete $sel[0];

be aware that an inMesh->outMesh connection generally does not undo correctly.

.j

Droolz
07-18-2005, 09:38 AM
Thanks John,

I've been trying to setup the reference method that you talked about and I'm running into a lot of problems. Most of which seem to do woith the .obj parser!?
I've set up a simple scene where I'm using the reference editor to import the blendshapes. I import a couple and a few odd things occour.

1. The refernce will not let me rename any of it's associated nodes, or modify it in any way. From the way that you are able to save your changes back to the originating file via the refernce editor, i figured this was odd behaviour? Perhaps not (I'm new to this).
2. Clicking the relaod button next to any reference causes the object to disssapear and comes up with the following 'error:// Warning: Error reading file. : C:/blendShapes/Brows_Dn.obj //', it also prints 'ObjTranslator::reader called in error' in the output window. Has anyone experienced anything like this?

john_homer
07-18-2005, 07:56 PM
just tried it.. using references doesn't seem to work as blendshape targets at all ;(
as soon as you reopen the scene (even without changing the references) it stuffs up.

bummer :sad:

.j

thematt
07-19-2005, 04:41 PM
just tried it.. using references doesn't seem to work as blendshape targets at all ;(
as soon as you reopen the scene (even without changing the references) it stuffs up.

he..weid it does work perfect here..at least with sphere..:)
have no problem at all, even try deleting and recreate and it worked.
I remembered having already done that, so I thought it was kind of weird it didn't work anymre.
maya 6.01 here..sorry but maya6.5 ---> too buggy for me..too bad.
thanks maya7 will come soon with his new way of working with blend shape..cool..and its all new bug...not so cool.

1. The refernce will not let me rename any of it's associated nodes, or modify it in any way. From the way that you are able to save your changes back to the originating file via the refernce editor, i figured this was odd behaviour? Perhaps not (I'm new to this).
2. Clicking the relaod button next to any reference causes the object to disssapear and comes up with the following 'error:// Warning: Error reading file. : C:/blendShapes/Brows_Dn.obj //', it also prints 'ObjTranslator::reader called in error' in the output window. Has anyone experienced anything like this?

as far as you problem occur, with the obj the best way is still to import it in a new scene and reference a .mb or .ma

cheers

john_homer
07-19-2005, 08:42 PM
just had another play...

maya does not seem to be able to use a .obj as a reference file.
it works initially, but gives errors when you reopen the file ;(

as matt said, just use a .mb (or its evil brother the .ma)
.j

CGTalk Moderation
07-19-2005, 08:42 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.