PDA

View Full Version : DAZ EdgeBevel!

Cman
10-26-2002, 10:27 PM
It's here!! It's here!! :bounce:

Edge beveling.

Check it out!

EdgeBevel (http://www.daz3d.com/pages/dp/development/developright.html)

It works nice...

CTRL+X
10-26-2002, 10:45 PM
Awesome !! It's about time!!!

Thanks CMAN, Going to check it out now and see how it works

fellah
10-26-2002, 11:19 PM
just tried it, works perfect so far. thanks to those involved in this one, great stuff :thumbsup:

CIM
10-26-2002, 11:55 PM
Nice.

Cman
10-27-2002, 12:02 AM
The only down-side(?) I've seen is it is not intelligent. You cannot set an angle to determine edges and run it on an entire object. But, that's what Mentory is for I guess. :)

Mike RB
10-27-2002, 12:49 AM
this is a nice plug

m_luscombe
10-27-2002, 01:58 AM
I don't suppose there's an OSX version of this floating around?

-wT-
10-27-2002, 02:08 AM
Haven't got time to test it yet, but holy chirst! The only really important modeling tool LW lacked, is here! :eek:

Thank you so very much to the person who wrote it! :beer:

LyonHaert
10-27-2002, 02:23 AM
yeah, very nice. it would be nice if it bevelled corners, though ;)

Cman
10-27-2002, 02:41 AM
Originally posted by LyonHaert
yeah, very nice. it would be nice if it bevelled corners, though ;)

What do you mean? It does so far as I can tell.

Cman
10-27-2002, 02:47 AM

Labuzz
10-27-2002, 02:55 AM
Are you talking about Chamfer Vertex LyonHeart...

KillMe
10-27-2002, 02:55 AM
i have been wanting this plug for soooooooo long and here its comes and its free...(doing little happy dance) :bounce: :buttrock: :bounce:

ahhhhhhh and poz extender not long agao either allthe tool i could want now exist - really should stump up for the latest bevel++ and i dont think i would have any serious wants =):buttrock:

KillMe
10-27-2002, 03:01 AM
think he means somethign like this done by slecting the point then beveling it alone

LyonHaert
10-27-2002, 03:26 AM
yup, the above pic is exactly what i meant. it would seem (though i'm no LScripter yet) that the two would be done with similar techniques. it's a great plugin (i've been playing with it for a while, haha), but it just seems the two would sortof go hand-in-hand.

Cman
10-27-2002, 03:32 AM
Oh I see.
Maybe a request to them, with the pic, would get 'em to make the change. I bet it'd be a simple update.

toonshady
10-27-2002, 03:38 AM
Really have to thank those folks at DAZ. :)

MorBioS
10-27-2002, 04:10 PM
Yahooooo!!!!!

THX man :buttrock:

Bytehawk
10-27-2002, 04:22 PM
It somehow doesn't work for me ....

I made a button in modeler for the plug

make a cube
activate the plug

it does its stuff but it aint interactive
it's asif the default value is taken as offset
the blue lines remain visible but the beveling has been applied to the object...

anyone else had this?

KillMe
10-27-2002, 04:45 PM
you drag with right mouse to get the blue lines where you want then right click to apply it you canthen drag agai for another operation i bleive at least you could on the otehr daz plugs but certainly right click wqill set the ajusments into the geomtry

-wT-
10-27-2002, 05:21 PM
There seems to be a bug in the code.
I've tested it a little, and it doesn't seem to bevel the edges very "uniformly"...

Ok let me give you and example:

1. Make a cube, 1m*1m*1m and subdivide it with Metaform
2. Select three verticles somewhere in the mesh, where the middle verticle is in the middle of the model (Hard to explain, like if you'd be doing symmetry modeling, and you select one point with symmetry and then the middle verticle)
3. Now bevel 'em and you can see the problem, the bevel isn't symmetric.

Here's an animated gif to explain it:
http://device.dyndns.org/wt/pictures/buginbevel.gif

MorBioS
10-27-2002, 06:20 PM
Is Edgebevel work fine with symetry for you guys???

I can't get good results using symmetry.

BTW is a good plugin :buttrock:

thx

excuse my grammar

bleep
10-27-2002, 06:51 PM
nice plug but...i d preafer that newtek take a look at XSI 3 subpatch and see what is possible to do with real edge tools...

no offence, but i really hope newtek will implement edges in LW 8 as i really wish it support ngons (XSI metanurbs support em without making holes when you have nsided polys...) bad thing is not all modifications can be done on the smoothed model (ie cuting edges are still on a control cage...wonder why like you can select edges on he smoothed model...at least in the build i saw)
so if newtek can make all edge tools work on the subpatche model it it will be great ;>
XSi 3 subpatch is as fast if not faster than LW too...support edge crease as well...

Bevel of edges, edge extrusion and so on... considerable workflow speed improvement...

KillMe
10-27-2002, 07:32 PM
i got xsi 2 experiance cd's and yups ome nice features there but i dont liek teh workflow as mucha s lightwaves and i can get most of what i need done now - this plug is great addistion combined with the edge tools plugins poz extender well can pretty much do it all and got to love that fi jigsaw things someone pointed out in the good time ot be a lightwave modeler thread

that said the n sided sub d's would be nice so that even if for the final you still want squads and preview things easier and would be able to cut edges in while using sub d

on the whole though for those fw thigns i would want to pay the extra for xsi what is it 8 times more expensive?

Cman
10-27-2002, 08:00 PM
Hey -wt-, yep I had a similar result on a different object.
I plan to email them with pics of the bug.

Bytehawk
10-28-2002, 03:46 AM
silly me,

must have passed that line when reading the docs.

cheers and thanks for the help.

This is almost the same edgesmoother does but interactive
I like it

Bytehawk
10-28-2002, 04:05 AM
woohoo

you get some really strange objects if you push this one to the limits

whattawa
10-28-2002, 06:57 PM
So good to see everybody using this. Sorry it still has some bugs. We hadn't found those, but I guess we didn't beta test it enough. We appreciate all the comments and suggestions. This plugin is meant as a work-around because Lightwave doesn't use edges. We all hope they will incorporate them in the next version, but who wants to wait, right? :)

If you could email me at the address that is listed on the DAZ plugins page, I will be able to pass it all on to our programmer who is currently figuring out the easiest way to fix these issues.

This is the first time for me to come to this forum, but I'm glad I did as there seem to be a lot of good LW users here.

We don't do custom plugin development (these are all plugins we wanted to play with) but if you suggest a plugin that we feel we can use, we will look into it. About the corner bevelling, mathematically it is a completely different plugin from the edge bevel tool, but our programmer has a beta version of it. We weren't planning on releasing it while it is possibly buggy, but we'll see if he will have the time. We have one programmer and he is being pulled in many directions.

Thanks for the feedback. Keep it coming.

Josh Darling
DAZ Productions

whattawa
10-28-2002, 06:59 PM
P.S. Sorry about starting a new thread about this while this one was going on. I didn't realize the plugin would catch on so quickly and didn't check to see if anyone here had posted about it.

Josh Darling
DAZ Productions

Mike RB
10-28-2002, 08:03 PM
Edge beveling!? you didnt think that would catch on? :)

KillMe
10-28-2002, 09:05 PM
ah i was considering doing the point beveling script myself since the one i wanted to do had afew probs when thought through not much point now =) but at least this one will work =)

anieves
10-29-2002, 12:23 AM
yeah, an OSX version would be nice

whattawa
10-29-2002, 08:54 PM
Just wanted to let you folks know that we got that assymetry problem fixed in Edge Bevel. We are also fixing the UV situation and making a Mac port. Once all this is taken care of, I will make a formal announcement to make sure everyone gets the fixed version.

Cman
10-29-2002, 09:05 PM
coooool. :)
What's the deal with the point-bevel?

whattawa
10-29-2002, 09:05 PM
Oh yeah, that is also cooking. One problem we have is that our programmer is being pulled off his Lightwave plugin development time to help with the dev of our posing/rendering program that we are developing. I'm not sure if that is short or long term, but he is still trying to crank out LW plugins on the side.

policarpo
10-29-2002, 09:20 PM
posing/rendering program ???

:eek:

is it solely for inhouse use?

don't say stuff like that if you don't intend to elaborate. :applause:

BTW: EdgeBevel ROX!!!!

whattawa
10-29-2002, 10:04 PM
Oh, did I say we are developing a program? Guess the cat is out of the bag! Actually, we announced that a couple months ago and started quite a stir.

We create content (models) for Poser, which is a pretty good program if the end user wants to create art without having to do all your rigging and setup yourself. We're not creating a Poser clone or LW competitor, just adding one more choice to the world of 3D apps. Anyway, for several different reasons it was decided that we wanted ultimate control of how our models worked in a program and started working on our own. I can't say a whole lot about the program right now, but it will be a program where you can just open it up and be able to quickly and easily pose figures and render. Probably not a program that will bring a whole lot of interest in the Lightwave community (unless you want to be able to easily do facial expressions and phonemes) but I will still mention it when it comes out.

m_luscombe
10-30-2002, 02:03 AM
Hey cool. Thanks for the news on a Mac port. I use a lot of solids modellers and the lack of edges in LW has thrown me off a bit.

Thanks again. I look forward to hearing about it!

markdc
02-02-2003, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by CIM
Nice.

They make models for Poser, so you may get infected if you use it CIM. You hate Poser so much but did you know that your precious lw was used to make all the models for it?

ninjaman
02-02-2003, 10:00 PM
Check with Richard Brak for a PC->MAC OS conversion. He does this. And donīt forget us OS9 users want one too!

http://www.richardbrak.net/

Johan

ninjaman
02-02-2003, 10:01 PM
Forgot to mention: Richard Brak does CONVERSIONS for FREE!
JOHAN

ninjaman
02-02-2003, 10:09 PM
DARN! Now I see he has his own Edge Bevel plug-in in the works!

Johan

rickycox
02-02-2003, 10:32 PM
PLSS Let me know when the Mac version drops. Looks great. Best R

wgreenlee1
02-02-2003, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by brian_dlm
They make models for Poser, so you may get infected if you use it CIM. You hate Poser so much but did you know that your precious lw was used to make all the models for it?

CIM has groupies now?OMG!

markdc
02-02-2003, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by wgreenlee1
CIM has groupies now?OMG!

CIM is the best! Did you worship him today? It's not to late...

takkun
02-03-2003, 01:35 AM
I'm confused... :surprised

Why did brian_dlm resurrect an old thread to try to insult CIM?

lame. get a life.

faulknermano
02-03-2003, 02:59 AM
does edgebevel work using polys? i tried it but it keeps crashing on me...

Psyhke
02-03-2003, 04:36 AM
Well it doesn't crash on me when I try to use poly sections with it, but it doesn't appear to work when beveling entire objects (via poly selection). Works fine with point selections, though.

whattawa
02-03-2003, 05:00 PM
Whoa, the old thread is resurrected. Just so you know, I have a Mac version so if you want it email me at josh@daz3d.com and I will send it to you. There are some minor bugs with it that most users won't notice, but whatever....If you want it, let me know.

Josh Darling
DAZ Productions

whattawa
02-03-2003, 05:01 PM
Oh yeah, about the poly crashing thing, that is a feature not a bug! ;)

Actually, the reason it crashes is because it only bevels the edge of the selection. If you have all or no polys selected there is no edge for it to bevel so it freaks. Really, it is meant to use points but I have found times where using it in poly mode has been helpful.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 08:01 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.